Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeon (quarter-) marathon  (Read 2901 times)

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
Melodeon (quarter-) marathon
« on: May 30, 2008, 08:46:09 AM »

Hi all

This Sunday (June 1st) I'll be playing for Hammersmith Morris as we dance the entire length of the 10km Walk for Life in London:

http://www.walkforlife.co.uk/public_team.php?teamid=59&teamtype=Regular%20Team

We're doing this to raise money for charities -- one global one (Crusaid) and one local one (HAFAD) -- and would very much appreciate sponsorship from anyone who thinks that playing a melodeon for 2 hours or so while walking 10km is a noble (but very stupid) thing to do :-)

Cheers

Ian

P.S. If you sponsor me (Ian Dedic) out of the team then this will of course back up the assertion (which you might think is obvious :-) that musicians are superior to mere morris dancers...
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

GuyWyatt

• Respected Sage
Re: Melodeon (quarter-) marathon
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 11:05:36 AM »

Or of course you could sponsor me. I will be there too but dancing rather than playing. And of course we wouldnt have to dance for so long if the musicians picked their feet up and ran a bit.
Cheers
Guy
PS, in answer to Ian's PS, isnt the ultimate life-form a morris dancer who is also a musician. (both a bit questionable in my case but hey....)

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 11:08:41 AM »

PS, in answer to Ian's PS, isnt the ultimate life-form a morris dancer who is also a musician. (both a bit questionable in my case but hey....)

I always though that Morris musicians were Morris dancers who's knees had gone.  :)
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 11:28:56 AM »

I always though that Morris musicians were Morris dancers who's knees had gone.  :)

In my case sadly true -- but I didn't do my knee in dancing, I did it getting out of bed one morning...

(swung my legs out of bed, tore a ligament off the bone, carted off to hospital in pyjamas -- which I wasn't wearing when I got out of bed, but I couldn't get dressed and didn't fancy appearing naked in casualty -- which left me on crutches for more than a week, and unable to dance since -- honest, guv)

Of course having danced for twenty years or so is a huge help when playing for dancers because it gives you an insight into what the music can do to make the dancers dance better. And the more practice you get at doing this the better, obviously. And a musician who doesn't dance any more spends more time playing than one who does, so...

In answer to Guy's question, the ultimate life-form must be a morris musician who *was* a dancer -- sorry Guy, you don't qualify :-)

Ian

P.S. Never mind the sophistry, get those wallets out!
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

GuyWyatt

• Respected Sage
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 10:18:14 PM »

Mission accomplished. However, the link is still open so you can still pledge some money to these worthy causes.
Cheers
Guy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal