Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thinking of taking up melodeon  (Read 6343 times)

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
Re: Thinking of taking up melodeon
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2010, 10:05:22 AM »

Even when I play a two or three-row, I tend to play on a single row with 2 left buttons (very often 1) only.
This is the most natural and oldest style of melodeon playing.

And arguably, the least musical, harmonically ;) I HATE hearing tunes played on the one-row without the subdominant. It just sounds wrong :(

I beg to differ with both of you. That style doesn't sound nice on a typical two-row instrument, but on a properly constructed one-row box it sounds fine. Not only that, but Cajun players get away with playing a subdominant chord on the tonic note (e.g. playing in G on a C box)  and somehow you don't notice that either.

Additionally, when a subdominant chord is required, on a one-row you can leave out the LH, and often you can get at least the root and 3rd of the subdominant chord on the RH. Usually when I'm playing one-row my right fingers are getting severely stretched and exercised as I'm playing a lot more than the tune.

I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

waltzman

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2010, 11:49:58 AM »

Forget all that other key stuff - the best melodeon has 10 buttons in the right and 2 in the left!
What a profound and fundamental statement! I completely agree.
Even when I play a two or three-row, I tend to play on a single row with 2 left buttons (very often 1) only.
This is the most natural and oldest style of melodeon playing.

And arguably, the least musical, harmonically ;) I HATE hearing tunes played on the one-row without the subdominant. It just sounds wrong :(

You have to think of it as a rhythm instrument that can play melody.  Most dancers don't care a rat about the subdominant as long as the rhythm is cooking.   >:E

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2010, 12:07:33 PM »

I beg to differ with both of you. That style doesn't sound nice on a typical two-row instrument, but on a properly constructed one-row box it sounds fine. Not only that, but Cajun players get away with playing a subdominant chord on the tonic note (e.g. playing in G on a C box)  and somehow you don't notice that either.

Additionally, when a subdominant chord is required, on a one-row you can leave out the LH, and often you can get at least the root and 3rd of the subdominant chord on the RH. Usually when I'm playing one-row my right fingers are getting severely stretched and exercised as I'm playing a lot more than the tune.

The difference is that subdominant on tonic sounds nice :P Dominant on what should be subdominant doesn't. On a D/G I use C/D a lot against a G tonic. And yes, true, you can fudge it by leaving out the left hand and doing harmony, but why not have another bass? It would make it so much more musical.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2010, 12:59:37 PM »

Agree with Ukebert - the Tonic+5th is a pretty feeble harmony! Bear in mind that it is a simple 2nd harmonic. Of course Tonic+4th in mathematically the same, but at least that's an inverted interval, and also isn't a chord of our RH diatonic scale. "So there is tension".   My own 'Morris' organetto actually had G/D and C/C chords left end and with all notes both ways some really interesting effects were possible.

But this isn't about 5ths and 4ths.  Its about those who feel their music as a melody line and rhythm v those who feel their music as a harmonic structure with rhythm.  Both are of course correct.

BTW:  Anyone for the "sensitive female progression" (Am,F,C,G) I offered on today's backing trackthread ... Now that's really sexy  :P
  _       _    _      _ 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal