Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for January 2011 - La Marianne  (Read 52224 times)

Susanne

• Respected Sage
Re: Tune of the Month for January 2011 - La Marianne
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2011, 06:45:39 AM »

There's an e-minor on the second bar of the A section.  This requires you to play the E bass (push) and then the G chord (push).  So, it's an e-minor 7, I think.  The tutorial that Clive linked to shows it pretty clearly.  The B section is a very standard IV-I-V-I that shows you how beautiful standard chord progressions can be!
But there is no E bass on a D/G box as far as I know. Or are you talking about a G/C box here? I tried the B bass and D chord on the D/G box but didn't think it sounded right (The B bass was ok but not the D chord after). The guy with the wee box in the video played a cleaner chord than that.
Can it be that it sounds different because my box is one voiced??

No, you're right.  I'm playing it on a G/C box.  You'd have to transcribe appropriately for a D/G box.  That would be B Bass (push) followed by D Chord (push push).  Sorry for the confusion.

Also, I very much enjoy the version in the tutorial but don't use those basses for the B section.  I use a simple IV-I-V-I, as Paris does.  That's F-C-G(pull)-C on my G/C, which would be D-G-A(pull)-D on the D/G. Which isn't to say this is "the right way."

That's ok, I have a G/C box as well. I was using the D/G so that I could play along with recordings (thinking most of them would be on a D/G for some reason, as far as I know the most common tuning in France is G/C).
I prefer the "standard" chords for the B part... very nice tune, actually. I guess I'll have to live with that unclean chord..

Simon

• Respected Sage
  • Serenellini Selli C/F and Gold98 G/C
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 12:39:32 PM »

Is there a source for F. Paris being the composer? I know this waltz as a French (Bourbonnais) traditional. According to my notes it was collected by Edmond Lemaigre and published around 1880.

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2011, 04:20:42 PM »

Now for the third of Arthur's trio of New Year recordings - La Marianne.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUyg4TzIsw4

"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2011, 05:05:55 PM »

Well...here's my attempt at La Marianne - a tune I'd not previously heard. Last month I had a bit of a struggle with the technology to get my tune onto YouTube. This month I kept it simple - recorded onto my Olympus DR, uploaded to PC as a WAV file, added a bit of reverb using Audacity, converted to MP3 and straight onto ONMVoice. It's played on the Saltarelle Pastourelle III using each of the 3 treble settings with a slightly clunky change to press the stops between each sound. Wasn't too keen on the Minor bass run in the B part so didn't bother.   :||: :|glughttp://
www.onmvoice.com/play.php?a=37016
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 03:59:01 PM by Mcgrooger »

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2011, 12:42:36 PM »

Hi all - I just joined today, and was delighted to see Jan 11 'Tune of The Month' - La Marianne, 'cos I uploaded my version to You Tube last June :)

Sorry about the video - in a moment of weakness, I thought I'd dress French style   ;)

Anyway, have a look and a listen  :    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_56C8kOH3k

Regards

Alan  :||:

P.s : Hope the link works for you - it's not connecting for me...:(
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 12:47:20 PM by Almo2504 »
ISIS Melodeon, Hohner Erica,  Fender Strat Plus, Takamine, Hofner Violin Bass, Hohner CX12 Harmonica, etc.... Website: https://folk-music.uk

nemethmik

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2011, 02:33:46 PM »

Jan 11 'Tune of The Month' - La Marianne
The link works great, and I like your music and videos: I hate faceless (decapitated) melodeon videos.

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2011, 03:33:32 PM »

Miki..
I'm glad the link worked.

Thanks for your comments about the music and vids - you're most kind.

I usually try to keep the keyboard in view on the videos - but I always find it funny that the video don't keep up with my fingers, no matter what resolution I have shot the video in. It looks like I'm not actually playing sometimes.... :(

I ought to shoot some headless ones - then no-one would see my reactions when I mess up...  :)

Alan  :||:
ISIS Melodeon, Hohner Erica,  Fender Strat Plus, Takamine, Hofner Violin Bass, Hohner CX12 Harmonica, etc.... Website: https://folk-music.uk

Roland Carson

• Respected Sage
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2011, 09:21:25 PM »

Hi,
This is a great tune.
I am attaching a nice tab for anyone who would like it....well, I think I am attaching it as I haven't done this before ;o)
Roland

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2011, 09:52:04 PM »

Is there a source for F. Paris being the composer? I know this waltz as a French (Bourbonnais) traditional. According to my notes it was collected by Edmond Lemaigre and published around 1880.

Good question! I've always seen it as credited to Mr Paris, but now I think of it, I've no idea where I saw it or got that impression. Maybe in the On Bouge tune books, which were never an epitomy of accuracy when it came to this sort of thing. Anyone else know more?

Cheers,

Clive

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2011, 11:36:02 PM »

Right, here we are - my version of La Marianne. I confess to having recorded it before I've watched anyone else's video, looked at or listened to the abc, listened to any recordings, or done anything other than pull it back from my very old, failing, memory. This is either a noble thing, or a silly thing, depending on your point of view - probably both.

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8rsZjtGfaU

Played on a Castagnari Mory in D/G, with unisonoric basses, and for once I'm not afraid to use them. It's been a unisonoric night - the 2 videos I'm about to post in the theme of the month are played in very much the same style.

Cheers,

Clive

NeilA

• Regular debater
  • Nuage C#D, Yvus Pyrenees DG, Hohner Preciosa EbBb,
    • youtube channel
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2011, 12:17:21 AM »

Some of the music sheets have it credited to FP from 'Carnet de Bal', which Gary mentions earlier - apparently the album is no longer available.

http://www.folktunefinder.com/tune/23863/  Second bars got 6 beats though - maybe should be a quaver and minim?

NeilA

• Regular debater
  • Nuage C#D, Yvus Pyrenees DG, Hohner Preciosa EbBb,
    • youtube channel
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2011, 12:24:57 AM »

Sounds like you have very pleasant memories, Clive . Lovely!

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2011, 08:17:29 AM »

Paris has a "sources" page in Calhier de répertoire (p61)

CARNET DE BAL
  • Edmond LEMAIGRE. Bourrées et Montagnardes suives de 3 Bourbonnaises CLERMONT/PARIS 1881
    - LA MARIANNE (valse) / MONTAGNARDE (valse bourrée)

For Carnet de Bal the sommaire says "tous les morceaux sont traditionels" whereas against Rue de l'Oiseau it sez here "tous les morceaux ont été composés par Frédéric Paris, sauf ceux mentionnés Trad."  (viz La Belle en Page and Les Cahiers)

So La Marianne looks to be Trad. Bourbonnaise, presumably collected 19th century.  

He rates them by difficulty too - this as a level 1, Canal gets 2 .. and it looks like I've been spelling Scottisch wrongly, and for some considerable time ...  :|bl  

[edit] Carnet de Bal was only ever on cassette -  and all the Fe203 wore off mine a decade ago  :(
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 01:04:03 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Larry

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2011, 09:04:39 AM »

Thanks Clive!  always top notch..

LJC

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2011, 11:41:58 AM »

Firstly - I am pleased people have been using my teaching video, I hope it has been useful. I can understand if people don't want to use the cross chords, they were there for a student who wanted a 3/4 tune and cross chord practice!

Secondly - It is on Carnet De Bal, as a duet between Frederic Paris and a Clarinet player (I have a digital version of the album, no more details I'm afraid). He has paired it with tune called Montagnarde which my album claims is a Bouree as opposed to Chris' finding which says a valse. Who knows?

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2011, 01:01:02 PM »

Montagnarde is down a bourée on page 3 - was my error combining with the Sources page 61 -  Marianne is still a waltz

ps AMTA = l'Agence des Musiques des Territoires d’Auvergne
  previously l'Agence des Musiques Traditionelles en Auvergne  ???

http://lafeuilleamta.fr/
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 01:28:56 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2011, 01:16:48 PM »

[edit] Carnet de Bal was only ever on cassette -  and all the Fe203 wore off mine a decade ago  :(
One of the great crimes of the century!  How can the AMTA be sitting on this one???  There's probably a story to it, and it probably makes sense, but I don't see it.
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

LJC

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2011, 02:22:00 PM »

If you google 'frederic paris carnet de bal' and look at the third link, audio cassette fans might be pleased...

LJC

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2011, 03:30:28 PM »

I didn't want to post a link with a download, and start that whole ethics of music piracy on out of print album debate!

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2011, 11:35:28 PM »

Here we go...
My offering of La Marianne

A little bit of Tony Hall - style descant last time round, and a few pipe-and-gurdy style drones here and there.
It seems I got the 1st and 2nd time bars wrong way round on the A music, but it seems to make just as much sense either way.

I tried quite hard for good sound, but as usual Youtube has mangled it. It sounds a lot better before I uploaded it.
I wish I knew how some other YouTube videos get such good sound.

I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal