Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Panicotti 1920's 2 row  (Read 2193 times)

Andrew Culwell

Panicotti 1920's 2 row
« on: January 02, 2011, 01:12:13 AM »

I purchased this fascinating 3 voice on ebay 2 weeks ago.  I am not sure what key it is in but think it's GC or CF.  I was fascinated by the colors and the Art Deco look of the box.  I think I had heard somewhere that Pancotti of Macera was a  company well thought of in the Italian box making industry.  Some might think it's garish but that's what is so great about it!  Overall it's in very good condition.  The bellows need work but they are overall in good condition.  The bass and treble apparatus are also in very good fettle.  No rust that I can see on the reeds.  The box was bought from a seller in Austin Texas.  Here are some Pix.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 01:18:38 AM by A.J. Culwell »
Hohner's, Paolo Soprani red 4 voice, Paddy Clancy Celtic

Andrew Culwell

Re: Panicotti 1920's 2 row
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 01:42:34 AM »

And more shots here!

chrismak

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 05:25:02 AM »

Looks great. I agree it does have a certain Panache about it.
But those Italians always seemed to have that flair. Except for the Fiat 850  ;D

Unusual looking draw / breather button there if that's whats pictured. I haven't seen an
elongated one like that.

Lars

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 09:16:50 PM »

Is it right to assume that the size is on the small size? It looks like it's a lovely compact box - compared to e.g. a hohner corso/double ray deluxe.

Andy in Vermont

• Mélodie
    • Melodeon Minutes (blog)
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 10:58:08 PM »

I purchased this fascinating 3 voice on ebay 2 weeks ago.  I am not sure what key it is in but think it's GC or CF.

That is a nice-looking vintage box!  Could you post some close-ups of the treble reeds?

What is keeping you from determining which keys it is in?  How can we help?

Andrew Culwell

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 04:53:02 AM »

Lars, yes it is a very compact box.  A bit larger than my red Double Ray.  Andy I just downloaded Dirks tuner so I need to figure it out.  Is there any simple way to tell the tuning in the meantime?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 04:54:54 AM by A.J. Culwell »

Christopher K.

• Content Manager
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 07:43:13 AM »

Is there any simple way to tell the tuning in the meantime?

Easiest way is to post a few sound samples.  ;D

But you can compare the doh button/tonic on each row of the Pancotti with a known note on another one of your boxes, or other reference tone. If you have a C#/D or B/C box then you have all the referece tones you need. So find the Pancotti's doh (probably the 3rd but sometimes 4th button from the chin - whichever starts the major diatonic scale on the row) and play it on the push. Then go to your 'reference box' and see if you can match the note. When you have a positive match, you're done!

You can also do it with the basses. If the Pancotti is tuned in one of the 4th-apart systems (G/C, C/F, A/D, etc.), then the second button from the top on the outer row of basses will likely correspond with the tonic on the outer row of treble buttons. On an 8-bass model, the 4th button from the top on the outer row of basses will usually correspond with the tonic key on the inner row of treble buttons.

Your box has 12 basses which throws something of a wrench in the works.. could have been a custom tuning or have basses in different places. Also, it's possible that reference tones won't match up very well if the box is either badly out of tune or tuned flat in the old stadard (A=435) or something like that.

Nice box, by the way. I'm jealous - it is positively gorgeous! Keep us posted.

edit : Great name for an accordion, too -- our cat's name is "Sandwich" and we call him "Pancotti." It's a long story but he really acts the part.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 07:45:57 AM by cpsmart »

Andrew Culwell

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 03:33:04 AM »

Using my Dirks tuner I think that the box is of all things   D/G  I used dirks and tested the 6 button down on each row.  The Outside row plays D on the push and C# on the pull.  The 6th Button on the inside row is G on the push and F# on the pull.  I compared that to the Diagrams here on Melodeon.net and that matches with the D/G   If I'm incorrect please tell  me. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal