Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which finger for the bass row?  (Read 5346 times)

Brian G

• Tres Ordo Arca Diatonica
Which finger for the bass row?
« on: January 03, 2011, 12:41:53 PM »

Hello again friends and Happy New Year to all

I have, for over two years now, been using my ring finger, for the fundamental bass row on my 80 bass Paolo.  Recently, I purchased a Mel Bay accordion method and it says to use the longest finger for the bass row and the index finger for the major, minor and 7th rows.  Have I started off on the wrong foot/finger? Would it be better to change?

Brian

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
Re: Which finger for the bass row?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 12:56:39 PM »

It's many, many years since I used to play an instrument with a Stradella bass, but when I did I always used middle finger for fundamental, ring finger for counterbass and index finger for chords. All the PA players I know do the same, so maybe it is the convention.  As to whether you should change your fingering or not, I would think if you're happy with the way you're doing it and it sounds right, then why change?
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Doug

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 02:38:26 PM »

I believe that the best way to play a stradella bass is to use your ring finger on the bass note line, your middle finger for the chords, and to keep your index finger free to play anything else you can reach, such as the next note up on the bass line for an alternating base.

Hope that helps
Doug
Serenellini 3v, Dino Baffetti Oakwood Super 2v  and Castignari Giordy. All D/G.

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 04:17:36 PM »

I have, for over two years now, been using my ring finger, for the fundamental bass row on my 80 bass Paolo.  Recently, I purchased a Mel Bay accordion method and it says to use the longest finger for the bass row and the index finger for the major, minor and 7th rows.  Have I started off on the wrong foot/finger? Would it be better to change?

Brian
Brian,

You're doing it right, the modern way. That Mel Bay method is now considered old fashioned (though many older players get along just fine with it). With fingers numbered 1-5, thumb to little finger, modern PA stradella bass players are normally taught to use finger 4 (ring) for bass and counterbass, 3 (middle) for major chord (and alternating bass notes on minor and 7th chords), 2 (index) for minor, 7th and diminished chords (and alternating bass notes on major chords). 5 (little finger) joins 4, 3 and 2 to play scales and runs on bass and counterbass rows. 1 (thumb) is used on the air button. There may be some abstruse cases where different fingering is needed, but that fingering will cover 99% of normal stradella bass playing. See also "Playing" part way down this page, or the Anzaghi Method for Accordion, or The Complete Piano Accordion Tutor by Ivor Beynon.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 04:54:16 PM by Bill Young »

Brian G

• Tres Ordo Arca Diatonica
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 05:24:14 PM »

Bill, Doug and GPS

Thanks a lot for the advice.  I was doing it OK all along.

Keep up all the good postings. 

Bye for now

Brian

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 09:09:42 PM »

Well, there you go - I'm behind the times again!  But then it is over 30 years since I ditched the PA in favour of a melodeon, and I've never looked back!

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

george garside

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 09:41:31 PM »

using the 1st (2nd if you count the thumb as number 1) finger for the minor ,& 7th chords makes sense because it has  the best ability to move sideways separately whereas the3 middle two fingers seeem to be somehow connected - a physiotherapist once told me that one tendon opperates both middle fingers  but I have no idea if this is true

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 12:31:47 AM »

I was wondering this recently. I have long been a stalwart of the 4 finger bass on D/G, but to my shame I realised that I was only really using 2 fingers on Stradella. I am currently using middle finger on fundamental and second finger for major and minor. Having said that, I am now occasionally switching to fourth finger fundamental, second finger or third finger (haven't decided which yet) for fifth above, fifth finger for counter, remaining finger for chord. I've only just started working out runds and so on so I expect that my fingering will change again. I'm not too bothered though, I've learned and unlearned so many styles of fingering on D/G box (and everything else) that I'm sure I'll be able to adapt.

The interesting thing is that although I often play thumb on edge D/G I feel that I want to use the morris claw on BCC# :P

EDIT: I'm a piano player, so the thumb is the first finger, the pinkie the fifth.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

george garside

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 05:42:12 PM »

The interesting thing is that although I often play thumb on edge D/G I feel that I want to use the morris claw on BCC# :P

definately not a good habit to get into on BCC#! - it limits the amount of 'arch' of the hand /fingers which is required to reach inside row easily & also limits movement between octaveseg in Soldiers Joy in D  (which I play mainly on the inside & middle row, but which can be played on the middle & outside row!)

there are many ways to ski ;)n a ....BCC#1

george

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 02:43:23 AM »

definately not a good habit to get into on BCC#! - it limits the amount of 'arch' of the hand /fingers which is required to reach inside row easily & also limits movement between octaveseg in Soldiers Joy in D  (which I play mainly on the inside & middle row, but which can be played on the middle & outside row!)

there are many ways to ski ;)n a ....BCC#1

george

See I've found the opposite. I have very long fingers and find that morris claw makes the innermost row feel nice and natural, but it means that the outermost row is a lot more difficult. I expect that I'll end up with a fluid RH posture like I do on D/G, but for now I am making a conscious effort to play thumb on groove and it seems to be working (:)
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

george garside

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 10:26:36 AM »

Jimmy Shand had very long fingers - like bloody snakes!

george ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal