Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Roland FR-1  (Read 33239 times)

nemethmik

Roland FR-1
« on: January 06, 2011, 06:16:49 PM »

I've read a couple of posts about Roland FR-1 electronic accordion, and went to a Roland show rom this afternoon. I tried the model FR-1b: What a disappointment!  :'( It took me only 10 minutes to decide that it's a complete waste of money. The whole instrument was made of plastic of the lowest quality. The buttons were loose and of ridiculously crafted. The bellows were made of cheap paper. The whole instrument looked like a Chinese toy instrument. The sound was horrific. It cannot even be used as practice instrument becase the bellows handling is so much different from a real accordion.
In a word, before buying a Roland (or possibly any) electric accordion, visit a show-room and make sure this is really what you want.
For the price of an FR-1 you can buy high quality Italian accordions off ebay germany.

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!
Re: Roland FR-1
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 07:45:16 PM »

Well, look at the specs on the Roland web site:
"An ultra-light button-type V-Accordion for students, beginners and keyboard players!"

Definitely not a "pro-level" instrument like the FR-7 series.
Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F and G/C,
Hohner Erica A/D, Roland FR-18

HallelujahAl

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 09:23:25 PM »

Well I have an FR-1 and although I'm definitely not in the 'pro' spectrum, I'm thoroughly delighted with my instrument - albeit I have the Piano key version. It's a superb instrument, the bellows are completely adjustable so I find that I can indeed have realistic bellows practise - it is in fact not one but many accordions rolled into one, as well as giving me MIDI functions as well.

Does it look like a 'chinese toy instrument' - not too my eyes, and it only cost me £700 - I would suggest that there is nowhere on this planet that one could get a state-of-the-art Italian built (YES - the FR-1 is made in Italy!) accordion for anything like the cost of an FR-1.

So is it 'a complete waste of money'? I don't think so, it has enabled me to get all the accordion sounds and settings that I want and more, enables me to lead worship on it in a large church building by simply plugging it into the Public Address system. And the great advantage is that I can practise silently using headphones at any time of the day or night and not disturb either my family or (perhaps more importantly) my neighbours!

So please tell me where one can buy a new high quality Italian accordion from for around the £700 mark? The sky is a completely different colour in my world I'm afraid! I love my FR-1 and have no hesitation in recommending it. Obviously if I had enough money I'd go for the FR-7X PA - but I'm a poor man, so it ain't ever going to happen  ;D
AL

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 10:45:00 PM »

I have an FR-3, which I puchased just a few months before getting the melodeon bug  ::).  Thus, it's not really been used as much as it deserves.  I really wish I'd got the button model, or just waited for a few more months...

Anyhow, to me, there's no point in comparing them with accoustic instruments - they're their own thing and seem best treated as such.  The ultimate quality of the voices seems to depend a lot on the way it's amplified and also whether they're played sympathetically.  I've never noticed anything bad about the build quality, but I guess it is a different model to the one mentioned.  I'd certainly agree about trying one before buying, preferably over an extended period, so that the novelty/shock has had a chance to wear off.

All in all, I still find in fun to play with - it invariably leaves me with a silly grin.  But it's a shame that, as things have turned out, it's not really what I really needed.
"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

HallelujahAl

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 09:31:12 AM »

The FR-3 is according to the reports that I have a great box and capable of a great deal more than the it's smaller sibling -btw GbH I'd love to have gone for the FR-3 simply because of the built in speakers which would free me up from using either and amp or headphones. I just found that the FR-1 sat more kindly within my budget so took the opportunity to go for that. My experience has been nothing but positive with the Roland PA although, as GbH says, it's a completely different kind of instrument and not worth trying to compare with a standard acoustic instrument. Horses for course, apples and pears etc...
AL

nemethmik

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 09:44:42 AM »

it's a completely different kind of instrument and not worth trying to compare with a standard acoustic instrument
Basically, this what I wanted to write in the original post. Thank You for your corrections and comments.

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 06:17:59 PM »

The FR-3 is according to the reports that I have a great box and capable of a great deal more than the it's smaller sibling -btw GbH I'd love to have gone for the FR-3 simply because of the built in speakers which would free me up from using either and amp or headphones.

Al - the speakers are something of a mixed blessing.  Yes, they're useful to have, but add a significant weight and don't sound as good as when playing through an external amp.  I can see why they've produced similar models without them.
"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 01:26:34 AM »

Miklos' comment does remind me of my first reaction to playing a Nova II 48 bass i.e "what a bunch of rattly plastic junk."

But after you get over it, it is not a bad instrument for what it is.

On these button chromatics, I think that the treble almost has to have some rattly slack in it, as the rows are linked with each other, by design (I think).
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Pushpull

• Regular debater
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 03:13:20 PM »

Miklos' comment does remind me of my first reaction to playing a Nova II 48 bass i.e "what a bunch of rattly plastic junk."

But after you get over it, it is not a bad instrument for what it is.

On these button chromatics, I think that the treble almost has to have some rattly slack in it, as the rows are linked with each other, by design (I think).
Some time ago (a couple of years I think), I had a Maugein on loan - rather like this one (albeit in a much prettier purple):

There was certainly nothing rattly about it. It was impressively robust and the buttons had a very solid feel (more so than even the Piginis I had a look at). I was very tempted to buy it but thought at the time it wouldn't get the attention it required/deserved. I'm beginning to think again - though I have a feeling I would like to go the whole hog and try free bass.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 04:00:39 PM »

I have a feeling I would like to go the whole hog and try free bass.
I also have a freebass setting on my little FR-1, s'great!
AL

Pushpull

• Regular debater
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 04:22:26 PM »

I have a feeling I would like to go the whole hog and try free bass.
I also have a freebass setting on my little FR-1, s'great!
AL
Oh. I knew the bigger ones had free bass but looking at the online blurb for the FR-1 it "suggested" stradella only. Hmm. Food for thought. I wonder what it would sound like through my Fender Champ?

HallelujahAl

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 04:25:47 PM »

Yes, there's been a software update and now the freebass is also available on the FR-1.
Sounds great through my amps - I intend putting it my church's PA speaker system at the weekend... >:E
AL

Steve C.

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 08:57:39 PM »

Al, what we really want to hear about:

How are the drum settings?   >:E

HallelujahAl

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 10:46:00 AM »

Al, what we really want to hear about:

How are the drum settings?
Good fun actually, though I'm still slowly finding my way around them. Essentially what I've found is that I can either have them set so that they operate in conjunction with my bass and chord sounds on the left hand side or I can play a drum set separately with the left hand bass buttons. Either way is fun - though not, from my perspective, terribly useful. I've still much more to work out and my knowledge is still terribly limited (I need time, time, time...!).
AL

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 10:48:37 AM »

I intend putting it my church's PA speaker system at the weekend... >:E
AL

So that would effectively give you a church organ with a portable console.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 10:53:33 AM »

Yes, I'm quite looking forward to it - thankfully my congregation are a very tolerant bunch (and some are also a little bit deaf which probably helps  ;))

My next test is to put the sound through an effects pedal  >:E

nemethmik

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 11:10:30 AM »

Yes, I'm quite looking forward to it
Al, Aren't you missing the haunting acoustic sound, the mesmerazing vibration (of the bass reeds) of your real accordions? You have an excellent 3-row 3-reed Hohner, that must sound excellent. Isn't the best acoustic sound that we all are seeking during our long way in accordion world?

Steve C.

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 01:40:11 PM »

Miklos, I do generally agree, but there is room for "non-acoustic" sound too.  Why does (almost) everyone want a Streb on the shelf?
And then there is the (almost) unmentionable:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcbuXXFSXtU&feature=related
 >:E

oggiesnr

• Dino BPII, Alfred Arnold Bandoneon, Loffet G/C
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 02:12:54 PM »

...  Why does (almost) everyone want a Streb on the shelf? ...

... because that's the best play for one? >:E

Steve

HallelujahAl

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 04:37:01 PM »

Al, Aren't you missing the haunting acoustic sound, the mesmerazing vibration (of the bass reeds) of your real accordions?
Well, my Roland IS a real accordion too as far as I'm concerned, it's not just an inverted keyboard. I do love the shimmering sound of my 3 voice Hohner; but I also love some of the great sets available from the FR-1 (like the almost infintely adjustable musette/tremolo option etc). I confess that I use it very much as the box I play for Scottish tunes in particular as I'm able to set the musette tuning very wide. But it is also bringing out the jaaaazman in me  ;D as I've discovered some really cool vibe setting in the RH along with string bass fundamental notes and keyboard chords for the LH  >:E
I've recently spent some time with Harry Hussey jamming, and he's really inspired me to move into new directions musically, and the FR-1 is currently helping me get there.
AL
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal