Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Roland FR-1  (Read 33238 times)

squeezenplease

Re: Roland FR-1
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2011, 03:12:42 PM »

On the question of amps,the Roland FR-1,which is in effect a keyboard,should always be played through a KB or keyboard amp....Midi accordions sound awful through guitar amps....TPC

nemethmik

« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2011, 06:31:28 PM »

FR-1 http://www.onmvoice.com/play.php?a=41325
Your playing is excellent. Thank you for sharing your recording: the sound is exactly what I have experienced myself in the Roland showroom.

NewShoe

• Roland fr-1 , Hohner nova 48
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2011, 07:22:55 PM »

Your playing is excellent. Thank you for sharing your recording: 

- Thank you -

I am noticing that my accordion playing is runs heavier than the melodeons even with the light registers.  With 72 bass buttons it is almost irresistible to use as many of them as possible as much as possible.  It helps me to check out how things sound when I am not involved with playing. 

What I am posting on onmvoice now has the register and accordion set noted.

risto

• Respected Sage
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2011, 06:25:53 PM »

Thanks AL (!) for posting about the update for FR-1 for free bass. One could probably do it by oneself (thru the MIDI port) but I contacted Roland Scandinavia and they told that it is done free of charge, so I rather let them do it. Some additional features will come along but I don't know what they are. I will get the updating done next week after which I know more.

/Risto
Paolo Soprani 5-row, Roland FR1B-digital CBA button accordion. Guitar, 5-string OT banjo, mandolin, piano...
My one man band recording: https://apari.fi/Bonaparte_Crossing_The_Rhine_Risto.mp3

HallelujahAl

« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2011, 07:29:03 PM »

Good news! Glad to have been of (limited) help.
AL

risto

• Respected Sage
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2011, 10:30:33 PM »

VERY good news indeed, thanks to you. :D I have been away for some time now, need to check more what you fine people are up to these days:D
Paolo Soprani 5-row, Roland FR1B-digital CBA button accordion. Guitar, 5-string OT banjo, mandolin, piano...
My one man band recording: https://apari.fi/Bonaparte_Crossing_The_Rhine_Risto.mp3

Alan

• New Starter
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2011, 01:22:49 PM »

Just recieved my new Roland FR1, and it does take some time to get used to it after an acoustic accordion.
Not that I'm a muscian, just a learner.

I wonder if there is a way of changing the bass or do I have to make do with the three settings?

Many thanks to HallelujahAl for your helpful comments.

Alan of Ardersier

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2011, 05:09:40 PM »

You just have the three bass registers. But (I forget exactly how the FR-3 I used to have worked) don't you get different sets of bass sounds when you change sets on the right hand - Classic, Jazz, Alpine, D Folk etc?

Flanna

• Prêtresse
  • Regular debater
  • Groupe electro folk aux sorcières "Flanna O'Tara"
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2011, 05:46:51 PM »

I have a Roland FR3b and the quality of build and sounds are excellent. I'm surprised to hear that the FR1b is of much lower quality.
Yvus Pyrénées D/G ~ Wheatstone English Concertina ~ S-Wave Midi Concertina ~ Roland FR3B ~ Axis 64 ~ Roland Synthesizers

NewShoe

• Roland fr-1 , Hohner nova 48
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2011, 06:10:53 PM »

I wonder if there is a way of changing the bass or do I have to make do with the three settings?

The three bass registers are preset to match the accordion set selected.  So there are seven sets of three registers for the bass in all.   There is also the orchestral bass buttons that you can try which replace the accordion bass sounds.   I like the plucked string bass sound  with the guitar cord  combination.  I think there are also a tuba, bowed bass, organ, strings settings as well.

Also check out the instruction book.  There is a way to adjust the amount of bass vs. treble.   

HallelujahAl

« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2011, 07:26:17 PM »

yes, and don't forget the 'freebass' which gives an extra dimension - there are 5 different preset freebass systems on my fr1 including bayan etc

Alan

• New Starter
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2011, 10:45:21 PM »

I believe that you need midi cables to download freebass??

So, changing the treble registers changes the way the bass sounds,  doesn't on this FR1.

Many thanks to all who replied.

Alan of Ardersier

HallelujahAl

« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2011, 07:52:40 AM »

It's a simple download - new Roland instruments come with a USB port, older machines utilise the midi in/out port on the instrument, so a USB to Midi adapter is necessary - but they're very easy to get hold of and pretty cheap. Once downloaded it's on there for good, even if the accordion is subsequently reset to factory settings I believe.
AL

Flanna

• Prêtresse
  • Regular debater
  • Groupe electro folk aux sorcières "Flanna O'Tara"
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2011, 07:57:05 AM »

... So, changing the treble registers changes the way the bass sounds,  doesn't on this FR1.

Changing the treble registers (when used as conventional registers) does not change the way the bass sounds, it only changes the way the treble sounds. Changing the bass registers changes the way the bass sounds. Just like on a traditional accordion.

There are additional controls (that utilize the treble registers together with another control) which can change the sound set for the entire instrument. It could sound like a French, Italian or Alpine accordion, for example. This change effects both bass and treble simultaneously. It's just like picking up a different accordion.

You can also use the bass registers to change the bass and bass chords to play "orchestral" (non accordion) sounds. This is independent of the treble side. Of course you can also set the treble side to play "orchestral sounds" independently of the bass side.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 08:04:05 AM by Flanna »
Yvus Pyrénées D/G ~ Wheatstone English Concertina ~ S-Wave Midi Concertina ~ Roland FR3B ~ Axis 64 ~ Roland Synthesizers

squeezebox63

« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2011, 07:20:54 PM »

The roland also has reed growl and button clicking sounds, most of the effects of regular reed instruments. many choices of accordion sounds and of course midi sounds.also.
I have the fr-7x and it's great. I'd love to get the fr-18. who knows maybe down the road. we only go this way once as far as I know.
One bit of advice, if you can't program a dvr or vcr, you might want to stay clear of these accordions as they are computer type units.
Cliff.

Alan

• New Starter
Re: Roland FR-1 free bass
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2011, 12:43:57 PM »

Many thanks to all for the info on Roland FR1.  I have now got a midi to usb cable, now how do I download freebass??

Cheers.
Alan

HallelujahAl

« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2011, 01:59:17 PM »

Alan - have pm'd you
 ;D

Accordion Dave

• Respected Sage
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2011, 03:27:55 AM »

I just got the new DVD video recording of Weird Al Yankovic's "Comedy Central" television concert. I see he is using a Roland "Virtual Accordion". I did not look that closely to see what model. It is possible that he was accordion synching and lip synching to the videos.

Robbie

« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2012, 08:34:01 PM »

I have a question regarding the bass layout on the Roland FR-1, the handbook shows a 72 bass layout that is not the same as the my tutor book, the good old " Buttons & Keys" Vol 1.:|bl

There seems to be no G,D or A sharps on the counterbass row or fundamental row for that matter, however there seems to be A,E & B flats on the counterbass row, three notes not normally shown on a 72 bass accordion.

Would I be correct in assuming that the G,D and A sharps are in fact A,E and B flats, if you want them to be, as it were. :o

Assuming the above is correct then why not just stick with convention.

Be gentle, I am not a classically trained musician, or even a musician really.

In the world of a classically trained engineer  ;), all is black and white. ;D

Cheers

Bob

Hallelujahal

« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2012, 08:50:51 PM »

Yep - posh word is 'enharmonics' - basically a G sharp is the same as A flat etc. Not so much black & white - more like shades of the same grey  ;D

BTW I'm thinking of selling my FR-1 (much against my better judgement frankly) as I've found a 'must have' melodeon being sold by another member of this forum, and need to raise some cash quick. So before I list it, if anyone's interested please pm me.
Regards, AL
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal