Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using skype  (Read 5676 times)

Simon

• Respected Sage
  • Serenellini Selli C/F and Gold98 G/C
Re: Using skype
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2011, 03:05:20 PM »

No interest in Skype from me, it's rather restrictive software that does nothing unique but comes with asll sorts of issues.
I would prefer an open source alternative. The problem is that the rest of the world doesn't.

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2011, 03:59:32 PM »

I've been doing some recording (with Mixcraft) while listening to what I'm playing in realtime recently; even a lag of 20 milliseconds is too much to my ear. And there's no way Skype sends a video/audio feed across the internet that quick.

Cheers,

Clive

Mixcraft - you need to check your settings Clive -Preferences - Sound Device - Sample Rate and Bit Depth. Or if you can select Wave RT - but that might only be an option in Windows 7  :-\

Alan
ISIS Melodeon, Hohner Erica,  Fender Strat Plus, Takamine, Hofner Violin Bass, Hohner CX12 Harmonica, etc.... Website: https://folk-music.uk

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2011, 04:10:10 PM »

Mixcraft - you need to check your settings Clive -Preferences - Sound Device - Sample Rate and Bit Depth. Or if you can select Wave RT - but that might only be an option in Windows 7  :-\

Alan

[DRIFT]
Yep, I'm running Windows 7, so I can use Wave RT, and with exclusive mode on, I can take the lag all the way down to 10ms (and probably beyond) which sounds great to me. I'm still very impressed with Mixcraft!

Cheers,

Clive
[/DRIFT]

LDbosca

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2011, 03:25:38 PM »

Just as a point of interest, I used Skype to give lessons to a Croatian man called Damir who was looking for lessons here a while ago. Speed means you can't play together but it went reasonably well.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2011, 03:27:53 PM »

Yes, I agree. I think that skype could be an excellent tool for sharing and teaching purposes--though a full blown session would be out of the question. It's used by a lot of instrument teachers...

NewShoe

• Roland fr-1 , Hohner nova 48
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2011, 06:30:39 AM »

My first thought a skype  session would be great but then I remembered how slow my internet was.

What if the session was not in real time but a "colab" such as on you  tube.   For example one of the tune of the month recordings is selected as "leader".  Folks then listen and play along using headphones and record their contribution.  Recordings are uploaded to a common location and combined.  I think I could do this with audio only files but adding video would exceed my computer equipment's abilities.

Simon

• Respected Sage
  • Serenellini Selli C/F and Gold98 G/C
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2011, 07:31:48 PM »

Skype will stop working soon now Microsoft has bought it.   :o
I don't think they'll keep supporting the linux version of skype.  :-\
And there we go.. just two weeks after the Microsoft takeover we've had major Skype problems with lots of users unable to log in. They released a fix for windows and plan to release one for mac. Linux users will have to fix the problem themselves. No more skype for me I guess.

Noodle

• Louder is better, right?
  • Regular debater
  • Occasionally actually helpful
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2011, 05:59:12 PM »

And there we go.. just two weeks after the Microsoft takeover we've had major Skype problems with lots of users unable to log in. They released a fix for windows and plan to release one for mac. Linux users will have to fix the problem themselves. No more skype for me I guess.
  >:(
Nottingham, UK.

Hohners: HA114 (C), HA114 (G)*, Liliput (C/F), Preciosa (C/F)*, 1040 (G), Imperial. Dino Baffetti Binci III (D/G), Self-made Pariselle 2.6 (G/C), Soberano (C/F), Nopka garmoshka (F#)*.

One day I'll get really good, like those really good players. One day.
*to be fixed

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2011, 06:43:20 PM »

I was chatting on Skype last night using a webcam/mic and had no problems..
ISIS Melodeon, Hohner Erica,  Fender Strat Plus, Takamine, Hofner Violin Bass, Hohner CX12 Harmonica, etc.... Website: https://folk-music.uk

Neil_M

• Good talker
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2011, 07:14:40 PM »

I've been running the latest version of Ubuntu (Linux) for the past couple of months as an alternative to Windows 7. I won't be using it for much longer, Windows 7 was more stable and more user friendly IMHO. It also goes without saying that there's far more out there for Windows. My parents and both brothers use Macs, they're not for me either although they do look very nice!
Pressed Wood G/C
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal