Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alcoholidays.  (Read 3435 times)

Keithypete.

Alcoholidays.
« on: January 14, 2011, 11:51:29 PM »

Does anyone have any dots or ABC for tune 'Alcoholidays'? I think it is by Davey Arthur &/or the Fureys. Cheers.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 09:25:58 AM by Keithypete. »
Beltuna Sara II - B/C flavour.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
Re: Alcoholidays.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 08:15:29 PM »

No luck with the Session query then? Just when it was getting interesting ..... . Hope you find it - just the title sounds fun.  ;D
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Keithypete.

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 10:43:09 PM »

The tune link in thesession.org discussion isn't the tune being played at our session. Right time signature and right key - not the right tune though. I think someone has pulled one out of set that uses that title. Sets often seem to go by the title of the first tune.
   A cd with the  tune on is on its way, so I'll have to rip it by ear. If I can. Meanwhile if anybody does come up with it I'll be most grateful.

Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 07:06:58 PM »

Ah! I understand now.  ;D Just a thought - have you a mobile which will record?
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 07:09:39 PM »

I'm a Yorkie!

Keithypete.

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 10:05:02 PM »

I was able to download an 'app' called Virtual recorder onto my mobile phone and have now recorded the tune to learn at home.
   It reminds of an English tune called Enrico and would probably go well with it. When I've learnt Alcoholidays properly I will post the ABC etc.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

Keithypete.

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 09:19:54 PM »

X:1
T:Alcoholidays
M:4/4
L:1/8
Q:180
R:Rant
K:Dmaj
(3ABc|:d2D2F2A2|d2fed2A2|d2f2gfed|c2e2A2Bc|d2D2F2A2|d2fed2A2|B2gfedc2|1 d4d2 (3ABc:|2 d4d2 fg||
|:a2fga2f2|g2efg2e2|f2def2ed|c2e2A2Bc|d2D2F2A2|d2fed2A2|B2gfedc2|1 d4d2fg:|2 d4d2  (3ABc||

Well here it is folks. This is the tune we have been playing under the name 'Alcoholidays'.
   As I said it goes very nicely with Enrico:

X: 1
T: Enrico
M: 4/4
L: 1/8
R: reel
K: Dmaj
A |: d2fe dcdB | ABAG F2A2 | d2f2 gfgf | e2a2 a2fe |
d2fe dcdB | ABAG F2A2 | B2gf edec | d2f2 d2z2 :|
|: a2ag fgfe | dedc B2B2 | g2gf efed | cdcB A2Bc |
d2d2 cecA | d2d2 cecA | B2gf edec | d2f2 d2z2 :|

...but watch out - its easy to get them mixed up.  ;D    Well I find it so anyway.    :|glug :|glug

Tried adding PDF but it wouldn't work.  >:(

« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 09:26:25 PM by Keithypete. »
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 05:25:23 AM »

So that's what it's called!  Been hearing it in sessions, mainly in the Midland's and always enjoyed it. Thanks. 

btw - fantastic bass runs are available on the B music
  _       _    _      _ 

Keithypete.

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 09:12:56 AM »

So that's what it's called!  Been hearing it in sessions, mainly in the Midland's and always enjoyed it. Thanks. 

btw - fantastic bass runs are available on the B music

Yes its a nice tune isn't it? Second or third time through it tends to get souped up a bit.
   If this is the right title/tune I believe credit is due to Davey Arthur. If anyone knows for sure it can be added to the appropriate field later.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: Alcoholidays. No - it's called "Nancy"
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 09:26:15 AM »

"Alcoholidays"? - Hmmph!

Now I've seen Keithypete's ABC, I can tell you that the tune is properly called "Nancy", or "Nancy Clough".
It's a Northumbrian tune, written by Tom Clough, the famous Northumbrian Piper, for his wife Nancy, and is well known throughout the north-east and among Northumbrian musicians in general.

Just searching quickly, over at 'The Session' there is a reasonably accurate transcription here:
//www.thesession.org/tunes/display/3471

"Nancy" is a great 4-part tune and is wonderful to experience in a proper Northumbrian session.
In contrast "Alcoholidays" seems to be a poor shambolic travesty of only the A and B music, the C and D parts being missing completely. It's one of those which ought to be consigned to the waste bin hopefully never to reappear. Stick to the original tune, folks!

Here it is (ABC debugged from The Session):
X: 1
T: Nancy
C:Tom Clough
M: 4/4
L: 1/8
R: reel
K: Dmaj
P:A
(3ABc|:"D"d2D2F2A2|d2fe d2A2|d2ef "G"gf ed|
"A"c2ec A2Bc|"D"d2D2F2A2|d2fe d2A2|"G"B2g2"A"fe dc|
[1"D"d6 (3ABc:|[2"D"d6(fg)||
P:B
|:a3b a2f2|"G"g3a g2e2|"D"f2d2gfed|
"A"c2e2A2Bc|"D"d2D2F2A2|d2fe d2A2|
"G"B2g2"A"fedc|[1"D"d6(fg):|[2"D"d6 (3ABc||
P:C
|:dcBA GFED|F2A2d2A2|dcdf "G"gfed|
"A"cdec A2Bc|"D"dcBA GFED|F2A2d2A2|
"G"B2g2"A"fedc|[1"D"d6 (3ABc:|[2"D"d6(fg)||
P:D
|:afaf a2gf|"G"gege g2fe|"D"fdfd gfed|
"A"cdec A2Bc|"D"dcBA GFED|F2A2d2A2|
"G"B2g2"A"fedc|[1"D"d6(fg):|[2"D"d6|]

Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Keithypete.

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 09:38:05 AM »

Gosh!!! Thanks for putting me right Steve. Fair comment I suppose.
I'm awaiting the the arrival of the CD 'Alcoholidays' by the Fureys so I'll see what that throws up. Watch this space.

Apologies to Miss Nancy Clough - God bless her and all who sail in her.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

Keithypete.

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 10:00:49 AM »

Hmmmmm. I'm not sure that ' poor  shambolic travesty ' is fair comment actually. It does a dis-service to the whole of traditional music and the way tunes are passed on. Someone has learnt that so-called version from someone else etc. etc. and now it has been recieved in good faith as I presented it. Any written down folk/traditional music is generally regarded as a guide, the bare bones if you like, to be fleshed out.

I like the look of the four part setting and will endeavor to learn it and there-by do it justice.

Yours (only mildly) dis-gruntled of Lincolnshire.

Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 12:47:54 PM »

I'll check Steve's abc against the printed copy of Nancy Clough I have in a Northumbrian Pipers Society book at home. Tom Clough heard the tune played far too quickly in sessions and thought it spoiled it. It's a grand piece if all four parts are played through.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 01:06:47 PM »

Someone has learnt that so-called version from someone else etc. etc. and now it has been recieved in good faith as I presented it. Any written down folk/traditional music is generally regarded as a guide, the bare bones if you like, to be fleshed out.
Normally I would agree with you, but 'Nancy' is an example of a specific composition, written down, by the composer, and I think we should respect the composer's wishes as far as possible. I think a little bit of individualistic licence is OK but I certainly don't think we should let it drift as far away from the original as Alcoholidays appears to have done.

Just try playing Alcoholidays in the annual Northumbrian Pipers' Society competitions in Morpeth, or at a Northumbrian session, and see how long you'd last!  :o
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Keithypete.

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 01:50:12 PM »

As I said earlier in this thread I think this tune has been pulled from a set that may have the real 'Alcoholidays' in it. This tune is clearly Nancy and I will make this information available to players at the local session. Hopefully we can incorporate parts C & D.
   The Fureys cd still hasn't arrived yet. I really hope the Fureys/Davey Arthur tune turns out to be totally different. I will let you know.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 02:19:26 PM »

Someone has learnt that so-called version from someone else etc. etc. and now it has been recieved in good faith as I presented it. Any written down folk/traditional music is generally regarded as a guide, the bare bones if you like, to be fleshed out.
Normally I would agree with you, but 'Nancy' is an example of a specific composition, written down, by the composer, and I think we should respect the composer's wishes as far as possible. I think a little bit of individualistic licence is OK but I certainly don't think we should let it drift as far away from the original as Alcoholidays appears to have done.

Just try playing Alcoholidays in the annual Northumbrian Pipers' Society competitions in Morpeth, or at a Northumbrian session, and see how long you'd last!  :o

Not wishing to be awkward but if a tune has drifted "as far away from the original as Alcoholidays appears to have done", has it taken on a life of its own as it appears to have a title of its own. If not where, and more to the point who, delineates the cusp.

Keithypete.

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 02:49:06 PM »

Good point, well presented Lester.

I'm hoping it is a mix up of wrong tune/title and that a tune called 'Alcoholidays' exists in its own right.

I posted a while ago about two more or less identical tunes  - both in D minor, one in 6/8, the other in 6/4. I think they were lost when there was soke disruption to melnet. Sort of connected I suppose.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal