Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: hohner club2 in B/C  (Read 2924 times)

marien

hohner club2 in B/C
« on: June 05, 2008, 12:49:49 AM »

I bought me a nice Hohner club 2 (the exended keyboard type) with 7 buttons on the third row. The box is tuned in BC, Some of the 7 buttons are tuned the same as on the B row, I feel I could use more accidentals on the third row. What would be a suitable tuning for the 7 buttons on the :club row:?

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Re: hohner club2 in B/C
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 01:29:31 AM »

More accidentals? Haven't you enough already?  ;)

Seriously you already have all the notes in the chromatic scale (and Es and Bs twice) so whatever notes you put on the third row are going to be duplicates. So make sure they are going in the other direction as the notes on your B and C rows ("reversals").

One approach would be to make the 3rd row a short C# row to give you the advantages of a B/C/C# box, the merits of which (playing in flat keys, for example) do not go unsung for long on this forum.

Another approach would be to pick notes that allow you to play more right-hand chords, which are very limited on halfstep boxes, or to allow more legato passages, if that's what you like. Example (with only four buttons): http://info.melodeon.net/files/site/BC23plus4tradbass.gif

I have a half-row on my C#/D box and I make a point of _not_ using it for melody on dance tunes, so that (as a relative novice) I don't get dependent on a non-standard button layout. I do like using it for occasional chords though, and for playing airs with sustained basses.

marien

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 11:51:13 PM »

I rarely opay a C#D box, never played a BC before, and I will use this one for irish music.

You may be right that I have enough notes on this box ;) I agree it may be a limitation that some notes are only available on push and some only on pull. What I like on this box is that the left hand chords have no sharps or flats, so you can play major or minor scales with them.

Your suggestion helps as for Now I only have the F# in one direction, same for the F. So when I just turn some plates on the accidentals row, I will have them on push and pull. I think the one I got it from used it for the fast repeated note effect (using two fingers on two buttons for that), but I think I prefer to have the F/F# and A-G buttons (and others) in different bellows directions (compared to row 1 and 2).

As this is a conversion of a CG box, some of the accidentals are on the lower part of the right hand keyboard, some of them I may change to thr `normal` diatonic scales when I put the same notes somewhere on the 3d row.

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 02:07:27 PM »

I think the one I got it from used it for the fast repeated note effect (using two fingers on two buttons for that)

A big waste of buttons to my mind - it's so easy to do it on one button!

As this is a conversion of a CG box, some of the accidentals are on the lower part of the right hand keyboard, some of them I may change to thr `normal` diatonic scales when I put the same notes somewhere on the 3d row.

If I were you I'd do that with all the lower accidentals. On a halfstep box you have _all_ the accidentals on the outer row, and in a much more convenient place than down there.

Cheers
Steve

knoxthebox

• New Starter
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 11:27:31 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal