Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pignol and Milleret tutor books  (Read 3122 times)

Bobtheboat

• 'On the cut' near Lichfield, UK
Pignol and Milleret tutor books
« on: January 17, 2011, 05:38:28 PM »

Hi all, could anyone put me onto a UK source for the Pignol and Milleret
melodeon tutors please? My haphazard searches have only resulted in
' the button box' in the USA and sites in French! Much obliged, Bob.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 06:05:16 PM by Bobtheboat »
'Rowbotham Erika Extraordinaire' (12 bass + stop G/C/acc), Hohner Liliput Bb-Eb. Castagnari Rik G/C/acc

Tyker

• Respected Sage
  • Cheviot C#DG,Hohners D and G/C
Re: Pignol and Milleret tutor books
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 06:35:24 PM »

I got volume 1 from Hobgoblin (Crawley) by ringing . Also , 2 months ago, vol 1 was in Hobgoblin London .

Volumes 2 & 3 I ordered from the mustradem website and were very prompt .
Graeme - North Hampshire,UK

There is no noun that can't be verbed

Bobtheboat

• 'On the cut' near Lichfield, UK
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 09:00:36 PM »

Hi,thanks, no joy from hobgoblin but have ordered 1st volume from the mustradem 'boutique' . £27:50 + postage, ouch! Hoping it's worth it! 
'Rowbotham Erika Extraordinaire' (12 bass + stop G/C/acc), Hohner Liliput Bb-Eb. Castagnari Rik G/C/acc

Tyker

• Respected Sage
  • Cheviot C#DG,Hohners D and G/C
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 02:33:02 PM »

Hi,thanks, no joy from hobgoblin but have ordered 1st volume from the mustradem 'boutique' . £27:50 + postage, ouch! Hoping it's worth it! 

It is.
Graeme - North Hampshire,UK

There is no noun that can't be verbed

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 06:15:00 PM »

I don't know if it's more rude to drift this thread or start yet another P&M thread.  I'll take my chances here.

I just received P&M vols 2 and 3 from the Button Box -- very swift delivery, ordered Friday, arrived Monday -- and have to say that I find them amazing.  Each chapter focuses on some level of technique improvement (creative basses, alternate fingerings, ornamentation etc) and I could spend a month with each chapter just focusing on that one thing.  These were very pricey, but I think, like my Mel Stevens books and the AMTA tabs, they will improve the quality of my life much-ly.

I have not listened to the CDs, though.  So I can't comment on them.  I predict they will be excellent.
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

Cooper

• Gaillrd G/C/#,Casta Allain8 GC,Lofft CF, giord ad
    • Cooper's homepage
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 11:20:41 PM »

For those interested, i just got email telling me there is now a part IV

W
Please correct my English, it's been a while, and i like to learn.
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

Roger Howard

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 06:28:52 AM »

For those interested, i just got email telling me there is now a part IV

W

Yes, Volume 4 came out  last month. It's aimed solely at the 3 row player and looks (to me) pretty daunting, and impressive. It's not based on any particular layout - too many varieties of G/C around - and, rather than being a series increasingly demanding exercises, it offers a way getting to grips with a wide range of musical possibilities. Now ring-bound in format, although they've kept the same cover for uniformity's sake. It's not cheap, but the service from Mustradem, where I bought mine, was as excellent as ever. Now I'm contemplating a 3 row(!)  - nowhere near ready for it yet, though.

Roger
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 06:39:31 AM by Roger Howard »
G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 06:59:32 AM »

Volume 4 is pretty dry (Norbert had a copy at Chalap). Lots of lists of scales and modes in dot format, though there are a few tunes in there. Think there might be a CD with it, but didn't ask. I'd say it is aimed at the jazz type who wants a practice aid for "all modes, all keys". Such people exist, but I play mainly by ear and learn up the scales I need and use.

_       _    _      _ 

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 08:58:11 PM »

Agree with Doc3R 100% and add: neat book for the serious "professional" only.

Only slightly off thread, the new spiral binding on the hard copies (all volumes) is "almost" worth the price of admission.
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 10:40:28 AM »

It's not based on any particular layout - too many varieties of G/C around

What these guys get up to is not about any particular layout. eg I just did a week in the hills with Norbert completely on my C#DG, I think the other 18 stagaires were on GCs, but it didn't matter. OK, their B blues scale "just lies there on the main two rows", but I'd been there before as it is so useful over the V chord when in E minor 8) and its only "acc" is F.

Now ring-bound in format, although they've kept the same cover for uniformity's sake. It's not cheap, but the service from Mustradem, where I bought mine, was as excellent as ever. Now I'm contemplating a 3 row(!)  - nowhere near ready for it yet, though. Roger

You do need at least 4 buttons in a helper row. In practice you need to cover the common "impro" scales and keys, and that means playing quite a lot on the pull. You sort of grab at a push tune segment to recharge the bellows! My kit runs into trouble with Ab, mainly because it and Bb are opposite ways. Even there a weird Arab scale was very playable by splitting it into blocks of 4 push and pull notes respectively.

P&M play these "out" scales at some velocity, but for general impro purposes they recommend a measured pace. in practice, their most common critique of pupils is that they don't incorporate enough "silence"!  So it works … albeit not if you really get in amongst those saxophones ::)
  _       _    _      _ 

Ram Miller

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2023, 01:51:30 PM »

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I am looking for a GC tutor for playing in the French style.

So, how would you rate this tutor (Pignol and Milleret) compared to the Yann Dour tutor, or the seemingly newer tutor book: http://diato.orlulas.fr/methodevol1

This last one can also be downloaded, which is nice.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ram
Steirische Harmonika -FBbEbAb
G/C Serenellini Melodeon
C/G 30 button Anglo concertina

Michael Montcombroux

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2023, 03:40:47 PM »

Ram
Speaking solely from a personal point of view I prefer the Yann Dour to the P&M. The latter is very comprehensive but I find it takes me in a direction I don't want to go (vers le jazz).
If you are a beginner in GC, you might like Alain Pennec's Méthode d'Accordéon diatonique («Éditions Paul Beuscher, Paris). It's all in French, though.
Except as a reference I no longer use any of the above, having decided some time ago to learn to play by ear.
I hope this helps
Michael
Castagnari Brincu G/C

Ram Miller

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2023, 04:00:24 PM »

Ram
Speaking solely from a personal point of view I prefer the Yann Dour to the P&M. The latter is very comprehensive but I find it takes me in a direction I don't want to go (vers le jazz)...
Michael

Michael,
Thank you for this reply. Did I understand correctly that the Yan Dour book is more Jazz oriented compared to the P&M? And by that did you mean old-school French Jazz (which I love)?
Thanks,
Ram
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 04:39:03 PM by Ram Miller »
G/C Serenellini Melodeon

Ram Miller

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2023, 05:55:49 PM »

...If you are a beginner in GC, you might like Alain Pennec's Méthode d'Accordéon diatonique («Éditions Paul Beuscher, Paris). It's all in French, though.
Michael

Also, why do you recommend this particular method book?
Thanks
Ram.
P.S. I can speak and read French so the language should not be an issue, however having to translate from A-B-C to solfège drives me nuts!

G/C Serenellini Melodeon

Michael Montcombroux

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2023, 07:26:48 PM »

Ram
By the latter, I mean the P&M. By 'jazz' mean jazzy. I am not qualified the say what style Milleret plays in. He's good but that is not what I am after with the diato.
I mention the Pennec tutor book simply because it leads you through learning the accordéon diatonique in easy steps, with a CD to help.
Michael
Castagnari Brincu G/C

Ram Miller

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2023, 06:28:41 PM »

So I now have 3 beginner method books (that is typically how I roll)  ;)

I have the P&M book, I have the Yann Dour book, and I have the OrluDiato http://diato.orlulas.fr/methodevol1 method.

I have to say that of these three I like the P&M book the best. I find it progresses in the most logical manner and it relies on tablature the least. That helps for my style of learning.

Those are my two cents at least.

Thanks.
G/C Serenellini Melodeon

jarviw

• Good talker
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2023, 01:22:13 AM »

I have the P&M book, I have the Yann Dour book, and I have the OrluDiato http://diato.orlulas.fr/methodevol1 method.

What do you think about the OrluDiato compared to the Pignol Milleret?
I feel P&M is more classical school, which suits me, but I really enjoy watching Orlu's videos and style!

Ram Miller

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2023, 01:21:23 PM »

What do you think about the OrluDiato compared to the Pignol Milleret?
I feel P&M is more classical school, which suits me, but I really enjoy watching Orlu's videos and style!

The OrluDiato Vol 1 book is more similar to the Yann Dour book than to the P&M Vol1.  It primarily uses exercises, rather than songs for teaching. It introduces playing across two rows fairly early on as well.
I have to admit that I like the old-school style as well.

I hope that helps.
G/C Serenellini Melodeon
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal