Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Link Widget  (Read 4228 times)

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
Link Widget
« on: January 24, 2011, 11:29:34 AM »

I know I've been told so many times how to make my links look good with "<a ....etc" and others things to make it happen but I (and many others by the look of the posts) always forget.

We have inserts for flash, URL's, tables etc but I can't find one for links, just hyperlinks which I don't think hides the long string in the same way.  Can one of our wizzy members put an insert in the tool bar so everyone can tidy up their postings ?

I've put 'Glow' on "wizzy" and 'Shadow' on "tool bar".  They don't work in preview, lets see what happens when I post.
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Re: Link Widget
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 01:25:47 PM »

Er... I thought all links were hyperlinks.

You can use the forum's standard hyperlink tag to hide the url, like THIS. (I was thinking of linking to this page because there's a great photo lower down of a 10-year-old (?) Jackie Daly playing at a crossroads dance and also featuring musicians whose names are associated with tunes I play e.g. Bill Sullivan, Jack the Bridge.)

The syntax is (replace curly brackets with square ones) {url=http://paste_your_interminable_url_here}write the link text here{/url}.

Does this help?

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 01:57:03 PM »

Wonder if this is [urlhttp://forum.melodeon.net/index.php?action=post;topic=5921.0;num_replies=1]it[/url]

Nope, that didn't work.  That's the thing Steve.  You may find it simple.  I even write some code and find it difficult.  The hyperlink insert puts this in http://. Had to modify again as what I wanted was (url][/url) with square brackets at each end.  What we need is something that puts the code in, the user just pastes his ref and then types (in the other space) his HERE or THIS or whatever.

Another edit: to be specific <a href="http://www.kanturkarts.ie/pages/Jackie%20Daly/JackieDaly.htm" target="_blank">THIS[/url] the red bits being from a button
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 02:05:42 PM by No Strings Attached »
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 02:03:41 PM »

actually you need a '=' for it to work properly.

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 02:23:54 PM »

An easy way to see how others succeed with links and assorted clever formatting in their posts* is to press the quote button - the code they have used will then be plain to see in the edit window. If you do the same with my Jackie Daly link you will see that as LDT says, you missed the "=" sign in your version of the link.

Your version with red bits is standard html and if I'm not mistaken the forum software prohibits the use of html tags, for good reason.... stopping spammers from redirecting people to other sites automatically, etc.

* Chris Ryall's use of tables for example
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 02:26:06 PM by Steve Jones »

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 03:39:18 PM »

Your version with red bits is standard html and if I'm not mistaken the forum software prohibits the use of html tags, for good reason.... stopping spammers from redirecting people to other sites automatically, etc.
That's interesting Steve, I lifted it directly from your last post.

However if the non use of htlm is desirable all the more reason to provide a button which carries out the procedure in an except-able format.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 03:43:28 PM by No Strings Attached »

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 04:36:13 PM »

That's interesting Steve, I lifted it directly from your last post.

Now _that_ is interesting: how did you lift it, exactly? At some point the bbcode or whatever it is between the square brackets has to be translated into html so that your browser can navigate to the link target, so you must have intercepted this process at some point. *

* Edit: OK, I get it, you viewed the generated source code for the page. You're making it complicated. Use the quote button instead.

I grant you, you have a point that the link button could make it easier for us, say by presenting us with a dialogue box with two fields (1: URL and 2: text you want the user to see). That aside, the learning curve involved in using the current button successfully doesn't seem terribly steep.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 04:39:29 PM by Steve Jones »

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 04:40:43 PM »

Used Google browser, "Inspect Element" gives the html code behind that element.

Learning not difficult but, as you say, simpler with button.  Maybe the button wouldn't be so simple !!

Haven't tried quote button, will have a look.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 05:52:25 PM »

However if the non use of htlm is desirable all the more reason to provide a button which carries out the procedure in an except-able format.

Yes. The "insert hyperlink" (with globe on it) does exactly that.

You have to add an '=' sign, the url and the link text in the right place e.g.
Code: [Select]
[url=http://www.maryanahata.co.uk]Mary Humphreys and Anahata[/url]results in : Mary Humphreys and Anahata

Mudcat has a "clicky generator" where you put the address and link text into separate boxes on a form, but people still get it wrong - there's really no way of avoiding having to have at least a slight clue about how URLs are formed. I usually type the whole lot in anyway...
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 08:23:30 PM »

Thanks Anahata.  Here goes, press the globe LINK

Then place type = sign after first letter L and then Cntr V, enter the word link.  You should get a list of Breton tunes.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 08:26:27 PM by No Strings Attached »

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 09:19:30 PM »

Yes that is the way to do it.  Its pretty clunky I know. 
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal