Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pigeon on the gate: now available on CD  (Read 3367 times)

meltzer

Pigeon on the gate: now available on CD
« on: June 01, 2008, 12:33:48 PM »

Perhaps it's been available for a while, and they just haven't updated the website, but here it is: -

The melodeon has, over the years, been more popular in East Anglia than anywhere else in England, and here is the ultimate collection. 111 tracks of traditional melodeon playing from, Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex and Cambridgeshire, including 17 tracks of Oscar Woods from Benhall in East Suffolk and 23 from the other legendary player Percy Brown from Aylsham in Norfolk.

This is essential listening for anyone interested in traditional English music and in particular the melodeon.

http://www.veteran.co.uk/

(Sorry I can't paste a link to the page for this CD -- the Veteran website appears not to work like that).

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama

Lin Leighton

• Regular debater
  • Castagnari Tommy/ Dino Baffetti BP
Re: Pigeon on the gate: now available on CD
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 10:57:35 AM »

Hi Meltzer
That looks good - thanks for the info
Lin
Lin(Rattlejag Morris)

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 09:33:43 AM »

Thanks for this reference. I've now bought this double CD, thus tripling my collection of English music (Cotswold Morris - Cry Havoc is the other one). It's very enjoyable, and I particularly like the in situ recordings with the pub chatter in the background - you can almost smell the beer. Shows how good music can be on the simplest of instruments. Some of the recordings are later than I expected - up to the early 1990s - so some of these older players are probably still with us. An interesting historical collection.

Lin Leighton

• Regular debater
  • Castagnari Tommy/ Dino Baffetti BP
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 11:38:34 AM »

YEP

I did too, and I agree with everything you said.    :)  the earleir version of Oh Joe is particularly interesting to hear
Lin
Lin(Rattlejag Morris)

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 12:56:06 PM »

so some of these older players are probably still with us.

Of the older generation only Cyril Barber is still alive. Jen Newson is the son in law of Oscar Woods and therefore a much younger man. Oscar taught Jen to play and passed on his repertoire and his melodeon which Jen still plays. Go and see him play if you can find him. Close your eyes and it could be Oscar.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 04:21:46 PM »

There is an absolutely unmissable review of the original cassette release of this collection at the following address:
http://www.mustrad.org.uk/reviews/melod_ea.htm

Written by Rod Stradling it explains the idiosyncrasies of the East Anglian style especially with regard to step dancing.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

meltzer

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 07:50:36 PM »

There is an absolutely unmissable review of the original cassette release of this collection at the following address:
http://www.mustrad.org.uk/reviews/melod_ea.htm

Written by Rod Stradling it explains the idiosyncrasies of the East Anglian style especially with regard to step dancing.
Superb. I've got my copy of the CD on order, and I'm really looking forward to getting it now.  8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal