Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Simple tunes for beginners on B/C Melodeon  (Read 5245 times)

marien

Simple tunes for beginners on B/C Melodeon
« on: June 08, 2008, 03:22:06 PM »

Can anyone reccomend some begginer tunes for a B/C Melodeon? thanks

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Re: Simple tunes for beginners on B/C Melodeon
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 04:28:53 PM »

Can anyone reccomend some begginer tunes for a B/C Melodeon? thanks

Your question would be easier to answer if you told us a) how familiar you are with Irish music (you said in another post that you wanted to play Irish music on your B/C box) and b) how much experience you have of other diatonic systems.

Failing that information, I would have thought, start with tunes you are very familiar with (know them in your head, or on another instrument). Go for marches, polkas and waltzes at first. Top priority: keys of D and G and related minor modes.

Skipy

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 01:23:44 PM »

Can anyone reccomend some begginer tunes for a B/C Melodeon?

Hi Marien,

As a fellow novice with a B/C box, I found the Virtual Sessions on the BBC Radio 2 Folk Website very useful at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/r2music/folk/sessions/

You can choose a nice easy-ish/slow-ish tune like 'The Rakes of Mallow' or Peg Ryans' and join in at your own pace and leisure.

Many of the tunes in the sessions are included in the Irish Sessions I join in with and practicing at home certainly helped me.

PS. Dont make too much of an issue about tunes for a B/C box, most of the people I play along with have D/G boxes and if anything I can play more tunes 'easier' than them ie, Tunes in the keys of B, C or E!

Once I got used to cross rowing, I have found no problems!

Enjoy

Skipy

Saltarelle Solstice 12 B/C/C#, Hohner Trichord III B/C/C#. 

I can't imagine life without my melodeons!

george garside

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 06:29:18 PM »

[  Marien,

PS. Dont make too much of an issue about tunes for a B/C box, most of the people I play along with have D/G boxes and if anything I can play more tunes 'easier' than them ie, Tunes in the keys of B, C or E!

[/quote]

why not A as well?  It is not a problem on a BC & the scale falls nicely to hand . There should be no problem running out of air particularly if the bass are not used or used minimaly which is about all you can do with them anyway!

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Old Leaky

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 08:58:25 PM »

There should be no problem running out of air particularly if the bass are not used or used minimaly which is about all you can do with them anyway!

george

There (probably) now follows a broadcast on behalf of the "Why B/C/C# is Best" Party...  ;D (Sorry George!)

Skipy

• Regular debater
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 10:49:04 PM »

why not A as well?  It is not a problem on a BC & the scale falls nicely to hand . There should be no problem running out of air.......

george

george garside

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 04:01:47 PM »

why not A as well?  It is not a problem on a BC & the scale falls nicely to hand . There should be no problem running out of air.......

george

easy to learn and in the Key of A, which as George say's is not a problem on our B/C boxes with comfortable cross rowing, though it does stretch your arms a bit 

quite a bit of arm stretching  can be eliminated by using the push E's (inside row) and push B's (outside row)  as the alternatives of choice so to speak when playing in A on a BC box.  Staccato fingering also saves a   lot of air on any box in any key

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Skipy

• Regular debater
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 05:23:19 PM »

quite a bit of arm stretching can be eliminated by using the push E's (inside row) and push B's (outside row)

george

Thanks George, as always, excellent advice, I've just tried it and it works!!

You really should take this up professionally  ;)

Skipy

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal