Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dartmoor style - what is it?  (Read 6022 times)

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
Re: Dartmoor style - what is it?
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2011, 12:41:07 PM »

and dead easy on a DG with half row of accidentals with F natural in the right place!

george

I'll just pop out and get a new box then.....
Recommend this then or the Galaad if you want five extra buttons.  Excellent value, great tone, lovely action.
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2011, 07:42:49 PM »

I thought the Brass Monkey set went from Tip Top to Primrose in C, then upped to G next time round..... I'm sure that's what the A music does, but on an English I only ever press the right buttons. Key? wassat?
...it's only this damn stupid silly (....but incredibly infectious ) thing I've now got that I have to take note and worry.
After avoiding such things all these years. ( sigh )
Must be mad  ;)
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

paul earwicker

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2011, 11:30:40 AM »

Bob kept his bellow close in.  He told me that when he was young an uncle tapped him on the wrist with a ruler if he let it out too far.
He both played and called for the dances at the same time.  He was excellent to dance to and could work a set of dancers into a frenzy.   He used the bellows for rhythmic effects a lot which can only be done easily with the bellows close in.   He did play with a steady pulse to his playing.   I once got Bob and the very good player Alan Browning in my living room at the same time.  It was very instructive.  Both excellent dance players but very different styles.   However both players had their melodeons strapped on tight and sat/sit very upright when playing. 

paulq

• Good talker
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2011, 12:27:03 PM »

Bob kept his bellow close in.  He told me that when he was young an uncle tapped him on the wrist with a ruler if he let it out too far.
He both played and called for the dances at the same time.  He was excellent to dance to and could work a set of dancers into a frenzy.   He used the bellows for rhythmic effects a lot which can only be done easily with the bellows close in.   He did play with a steady pulse to his playing.   I once got Bob and the very good player Alan Browning in my living room at the same time.  It was very instructive.  Both excellent dance players but very different styles.   However both players had their melodeons strapped on tight and sat/sit very upright when playing. 

Thanks for sharing this, and to Thrupenny Bit for his earlier post about Bob Cann. Practicing Bob Cann tunes in me front room in Lewisham , Dartmoor can seem an awful long way away...

george garside

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2011, 01:27:25 PM »

[ .   However both players had their melodeons strapped on tight and sat/sit very upright when playing. 

[/quote]

the advantages of which should not be underestimated!

george -  (always tight!)
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2011, 05:31:00 PM »

Paul E: Yes now I think of it, he was quite upright and well strapped in, thanks for reminding me.
I'm sure I've heard of the ruler bit before down here.
I remember the last station master in my village, also a local historian and good sing-along olde tyme box player. I think his dad adopted the same thing with a ruler. We likes it done proper down yer! He also told me when he was a lad he had to learn a tune a day before he went to bed, else dad would be cross.

Paul q: I'm within the national park, and it's a long way from here too! It's simply a world away in everything you can think of from climate through landscape to people, and this time of year always f-f-f frrrezing!

George: Hah! ( sigh ) not drunk again?  ;)
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal