Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: video recording  (Read 9685 times)

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
Re: video recording
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2011, 10:37:54 AM »

Sandy and Chris,

I normally use three programs:

1) Record video / sound with webcam and separate mic, and save.

2) Drop the video into a music/audio prog to tweak the sound, save again.

3) Import the video with new sound into a Video Editing program - edit and upload to You Tube.

Just out of interest, and to see if it can be done - I'll record something direct into Windows Movie Maker from the webcam  - edit and upload it and see what the result is.

Watch this space, as they say.....

Alan
ISIS Melodeon, Hohner Erica,  Fender Strat Plus, Takamine, Hofner Violin Bass, Hohner CX12 Harmonica, etc.... Website: https://folk-music.uk

Chris Brimley

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2011, 10:49:03 AM »

My immediate problem with your process is with your step one, Alan:  my webcam isn't as high a quality as my camera on video mode, and from the relatively slow frame speed and low resolution, I'm not sure my PC would support anything much higher.  Using a separate camera ought to mean that you can deal with the file it generates in slower than real time, shouldn't it?

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2011, 12:25:58 PM »

My immediate problem with your process is with your step one, Alan:  my webcam isn't as high a quality as my camera on video mode, and from the relatively slow frame speed and low resolution, I'm not sure my PC would support anything much higher.  Using a separate camera ought to mean that you can deal with the file it generates in slower than real time, shouldn't it?

Hiya Chris,
I use a Logitech 600 Hi Def webcam which I got from PC World - you can pick up one from Tesco for about £40.
If you use either a webcam or a separate cam - the result is the same when you import the video into an editing program - a ribbon of video which you can edit and disect and play around with.
Since I posted here at 10-37 - I have recorded / edited / uploaded to YouTube a little instruction video whick might help. I have use Windows Movie Maker as I said I'd try - and the results aren't bad. It was quite easy to use and there are a lot of things to tinker with in the editing.

Processor speed / video card / RAM memory will all play a part in rendering the video - when I try to do holiday videos my laptop takes ages. I used the Sony Vaio laptop to do the video. My desktop computer is a bit quicker as it's got Window 7 64bit - this laptop has 32bit running. Both have 4 gig memory, but the desktop has a great soundcard and a reasonable video card installed.

Incidently - when you load to YouTube you have a choice of making your video either Public or Private....The one I just uploaded is 'Private' so no search engine will find it - and it won't appear on my main page that the public can see. The only link to it is the one posted here..

Anyway, have a look and see if it answers any questions for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tAXPpvROLk

Alan
ISIS Melodeon, Hohner Erica,  Fender Strat Plus, Takamine, Hofner Violin Bass, Hohner CX12 Harmonica, etc.... Website: https://folk-music.uk

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2011, 12:32:41 PM »

Hi Almo, think you need to set the video as 'UNLISTED' if you want people to view that particular link. Otherwise you have to specify the friends that watch it.
 (:)

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2011, 12:45:02 PM »

Hi Almo, think you need to set the video as 'UNLISTED' if you want people to view that particular link. Otherwise you have to specify the friends that watch it.
Thanks Sandy - I'll change it - never done that b4

You'll be able to see me struggling with a tune called 'Hot Punch' (Bob Cann tune) - I haven't played it for ages, and need to re-learn it.

Alan
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 12:53:12 PM by Almo2504 »

Chris Brimley

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2011, 01:09:34 PM »

I just managed to see your video, Almo.  I'm afraid my problem is still step one - my webcam's not high def enough, so I'm trying to use my Canon Ixus instead.  But I can't find a way to import the movies into WMM, though I need to try the various suggestions put to Sandy - which one did you find worked, Sandy?

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2011, 01:35:34 PM »

Thanks Almo, I liked the professional transitions and added text, that could be useful for notating bass runs with the videos. I'm sort of okay using the Windows Movie Maker but am now struggling to save the movie to my video documents on the computer, which is what I normally do before uploading to You Tube. It's just taking forever and I don't know why.

Chris, I tried a few but the one that worked for me was Freemake Video convertor which came from http://www.freemake.com/

I've decided to look at the manual when I have ten hours to spare  :D

cheers
Sandy

zubz

• Respected Sage
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2011, 01:43:48 PM »

I am now struggling to save the movie to my video documents on the computer, which is what I normally do before uploading to You Tube. It's just taking forever and I don't know why.

... have a cup of tea then ... usually does the trick.  :|glug

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2011, 01:49:38 PM »

thank you...I'm on my tenth cup, apparently it will take another 27 minutes to download the last 43%....i wouldn't mind but it's 3 minutes of melodeon playing...not Ben-Hur  ::)

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2011, 02:08:59 PM »

thank you...I'm on my tenth cup, apparently it will take another 27 minutes to download the last 43%....i wouldn't mind but it's 3 minutes of melodeon playing...not Ben-Hur  ::)

You'll have to just play faster Sandy... ::)

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2011, 03:32:00 PM »

It's finally downloaded, the sound was recorded on Audacity and given 'quickfix' Gverb. The settings are

Roomsize:    40 m²
Reverb time:    4 s
Damping:    0.9
Input bandwidth:    0.75
Dry signal level:    0 dB
Early reflection level:    -22 dB
Tail level:    -28 dB

I would like to put on a comparison video with camera sound but it will take me forever to download that too. Will try tomorrow.
Can't really comment too much on the video quality as the room is very dark (all part of the plan to cover up a bit of the grumpy melodeon player look). The sync isn't perfect but not too bad. (Bellows are going in the right direction at the right time)

Been around the world for this to work, don't know quite how I got there but it's a start with the new camera 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onUcISS7a3U

cheers
Sandy

Chris Brimley

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2011, 03:39:43 PM »

Lovely playing, high def, lots of frames per second, great sound, seemed to work really well!

But I see you have an aspect ratio problem - I had the same some months ago with conversion on another camcorder, and could never resolve it.  Or is it easy to change?

zubz

• Respected Sage
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2011, 04:00:30 PM »

It's finally downloaded, the sound was recorded on Audacity and given 'quickfix' Gverb.

:Ph

well done!
Curiously, those Gverb settings are exactly what I use too, but I can't for the life of me remember how I came by them.  ::)

Chris Brimley

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2011, 05:05:17 PM »

I've just downloaded Freemake, and also found it took ages to convert a file, and yep, I've got just the same problem over the aspect ratio!

I wonder if the easiest way might be to try to find an editor that works on the original camera format?

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2011, 05:29:11 PM »

Curiously, those Gverb settings are exactly what I use too, but I can't for the life of me remember how I came by them.  ::)

Gverb Quick Fix on the Audacity web site, perhaps, but I think I saw it here on Melnet first

« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 05:31:26 PM by Anahata »
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

zubz

• Respected Sage
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2011, 07:25:30 PM »

Curiously, those Gverb settings are exactly what I use too, but I can't for the life of me remember how I came by them.  ::)

Gverb Quick Fix on the Audacity web site, perhaps, but I think I saw it here on Melnet first

You're right Anahata ... I distinctly remember the quoted anaology:
"The typical problem with geeks writing free software: once they get something that proves they can solve an interesting puzzle, they lose interest in making the software usable. There's nothing wrong with GVerb, but it's a lot like a car that's nothing but an engine, wheels and gas tank on a frame, with a rope for steering and a milk crate to sit on."

I reckon there's a musical equivalent ... "typical problem with learning new tunes: once they get their fingers round the notes they lose interest in making the tune ... "etc  >:E

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2011, 07:37:16 PM »

There's nothing wrong with GVerb, but it's a lot like a car that's nothing but an engine, wheels and gas tank on a frame, with a rope for steering and a milk crate to sit on."
Like most LADSPA plugins. There's an EQ somewhere that is really quite unstable on its default settings.

There's a very nice free reverb here (yes, that is downloadable software, not a hardware box) for those of us who are not chained to the Microsoft paymill. It looks nice, is easy to use and sounds beautifully smooth.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2011, 07:42:22 PM »

There's a very nice free reverb here (yes, that is downloadable software, not a hardware box) for those of us who are not chained to the Microsoft paymill. It looks nice, is easy to use and sounds beautifully smooth.

'not chained to the Microsoft paymill'  If it works - don't knock it - after all  - you have already paid for it
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal