Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Notation Scanning to midi - any ideas..  (Read 3943 times)

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
Notation Scanning to midi - any ideas..
« on: January 26, 2011, 01:11:36 PM »

Notation Scanner

There are programs out there that will scan notation (using your scanner) and produce a midi file.....similar to scanning a page in a book and saving as a Word document.

I have tried a few of these programs without much success.

Can anyone recommend a good Freeware - notation / mid scanning program..OMR   Optical Music Recognition.

Cheers

Alan
ISIS Melodeon, Hohner Erica,  Fender Strat Plus, Takamine, Hofner Violin Bass, Hohner CX12 Harmonica, etc.... Website: https://folk-music.uk

Kautilya

Re: Notation Scanning to midi - any ideas..
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 05:12:57 PM »

Notation Scanner

There are programs out there that will scan notation (using your scanner) and produce a midi file.....similar to scanning a page in a book and saving as a Word document.

I have tried a few of these programs without much success.

Can anyone recommend a good Freeware - notation / mid scanning program..OMR   Optical Music Recognition.

Cheers

Alan
Wot about this - no idea what its like.
Music OCR  should be easier than text OCR cause there are many fewer dot shapes to go wrong than with alphabetic fonts but who knows - maybe you have been trying to OCR vfast Irish jigs and the oCR can't keep up!

http://www.fileguru.com/apps/optical_music_recognition_software
Do let us know how u get on. Would be interested in Music OCR to scan score and then insert numbers below the dots for tin whistle fingering and also the Pete Grassby learn by numbers and ear for melodeon.

Dunny

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 09:09:28 AM »

How did you get on with finding such a programme Alan?  I've been looking as well as I can't read the dots and my attempts to laboriously work them out results in something very odd!

Kind regards Nigel

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 09:32:02 AM »

How did you get on with finding such a programme Alan?  I've been looking as well as I can't read the dots and my attempts to laboriously work them out results in something very odd!

Kind regards Nigel

Hi Nigel,
I tried a few free ones, but I didn't find the resulting midi too accurate, and scanning and altering the notation after was taking too long.
Another restriction of course is the amount of music books that I have available, although I have a lot - there is always more on the net.

Anyway - I put the idea on the back burner for a while, because since I first thought of scanning a few years ago - there are more traditional midi files on the net, you just need to know where to look for them. Once you find a few sources for midi - It's a lot quicker to click and save..........

I think I have around 2,000 traditional tunes in midi now and I'm currently working through a Playford site and saving as much as I can.
If you listen as you download - you can discover some great tunes, and when I do - I keep them is a separate file and get back to them eventually. The rest of the stuff just gets added to my main collection.

I did the same thing with pop, rock, things years ago before a lot of the sites had to shut because of 'copyright infringment' and I have around 18,000 midi files I think.

Where downloading falls over - is, not everything I want is in midi format.
I'd like to scan a John Kirkpatrick book I have.
I went through the tunes entering note by note into a midi writer years ago - but I didnt know a lot about midi and saved them all in the format for the program I used on the Atari ST..all on floppy disc too..

If you need any tunes - email me. Please don't ask for Swedish, Norwegian Italian etc.... ::)
ISIS Melodeon, Hohner Erica,  Fender Strat Plus, Takamine, Hofner Violin Bass, Hohner CX12 Harmonica, etc.... Website: https://folk-music.uk

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 10:07:05 AM »

My way to "midify" tunes would be to go from manuscript to ABC (easy enough once you get used to it) then use ABC Nav 2 to create a midi file. This has the advantage of being able to share the tune as ABC, manuscript or midi.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 12:47:07 PM »

I'm with Lester to some extent, if you read music well enough to know what a note is called and how long it is, but not well enough to play straight from the dots then abc is perfect. If you don't read music at all it's not much use at all. If anyone wants an odd tune transcribing to abc and has access to a scanner to send me a pic by email drop me a PM for my address. Trad tunes I'll do, anything that looks remotely like it may be in copyright I won't.

Pete.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 01:09:41 PM »

Is there perhaps an OCR programme (why do I always get offered program?) which will produce ABC from a score?
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

rmenhinick

• Regular debater
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 02:37:06 PM »

Is there perhaps an OCR programme (why do I always get offered program?) which will produce ABC from a score?

I did a quick Google and this turned up - Wikipaedophile article on Musical OCR software listing lots - some commercial some open source.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_OCR
Old G Poker, New DG Poker, ADG Compadre, DG Sandpiper, CF Erica, GC Delicia Popular, DG Dino Baffetti Black Pearl 3, Casali Verona 48 bass PA, (Squeezebox Squirrel :D)

summerstars

• Respected Sage
    • UK Surnames Genealogy Contact Site
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 02:46:03 PM »

Is there perhaps an OCR programme (why do I always get offered program?)

You get offered program because that is the correct spelling of the word you require - it is a different word with different meanings from programme in English
Dino Binci D/G, Sandpiper 3v D/G, Sandpiper C/F, Hohner Bb/Eb, Pariselle 1 Row in D, Streb

rmenhinick

• Regular debater
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 02:48:35 PM »

SharpEye 2.68 claims to read music scores and convert to MIDI - source below lists many useful looking bits of music software (inc SharpEye) most of which seems to be free/shareware.

http://www.fileheap.com/software/music_notation_ocr_software.html
Old G Poker, New DG Poker, ADG Compadre, DG Sandpiper, CF Erica, GC Delicia Popular, DG Dino Baffetti Black Pearl 3, Casali Verona 48 bass PA, (Squeezebox Squirrel :D)

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 03:10:13 PM »

So much easier when you learn music theory... ;D

Seriously, Lester's approach is also the one I take, it offers lots of flexibility and you don't have to be a sight-reader to produce the midi, just transcribe the tune from the dots to ABC.
Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F and G/C,
Hohner Erica A/D, Roland FR-18

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 04:21:50 PM »

Is there perhaps an OCR programme (why do I always get offered program?)
You get offered program because that is the correct spelling of the word you require - it is a different word with different meanings from programme in English
First time I've looked it up since the 70's.  At that time I was involved with washing machine manuals and my company was both UK and American. I had to be very careful about which spelling was used for which country.  Program was American and programme was English.  I now see programme is reserved for broadcast material and program is used for computers.  (source Cambridge online dictionary).

Help, I've become an anachronism  :-[ :|bl
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 12:24:21 AM »

I blame all those idiots like Shaw and his American counterpart Webster ("I'm Morrocco Bound") who used to argue for logical spelling and conned a whole nation, who knew no better, into adopting it.  :'(
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Dunny

• Regular debater
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 05:32:27 PM »

If you need any tunes - email me. Please don't ask for Swedish, Norwegian Italian etc.... ::)
[/quote]

Thanks for the offer, I'll definitely bear that in mind. I'm ok when I can find the tune in ABC, but there are some I can't.

The suggestions re transcribing directly from score to ABC are interesting - I'll have to see if my skills are up to that. Results should be interesting!

Dunny

• Regular debater
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 05:35:46 PM »

Hmmmm, looks as if my Melnet skills are as bad as my reading music ones!

The quote I thought I had replied to was Almo's yesterday.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal