Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: (another) Newbie keyboard modification question  (Read 3269 times)

finnhorse

(another) Newbie keyboard modification question
« on: June 09, 2008, 02:21:51 AM »

Please bear with me, I've tried searching threads on this forum, as well as the old forum, and I keep coming up short of finding an answer.   :-\  I'm enjoying my new (old) Pokerwork.  To make things better, four of my neighbors have moved out of the building, so I can practice around the clock.  The box has obvious limitations that everyone except Hohner seem to be aware of, so I won't list all of them.  However, there is one specific barrier to improving playability which is really tough. 

I fixed excessive button travel by gluing popsicle sticks inside the keyboard, so that's out of the way. But I'm really having a tough time overcoming the issue of button height.  When I get a tune up to snuff, I am inevitably slowed down by buttons which have a high profile.  My fingers are inclined to lift less and sometimes slide.  I don't slide to the extent that the tune is sloppy and I practice staccato fingering regularly.  I understand the rhythmical import of playing each note clearly (listening to old Chrissie Leatham recordings, for instance, it seems that her triplets are all done flat-fingered and staccato)  but just a few millimeters would make all the difference in the world when the fingers of right hand are moving along the keyboard.  A quick change in hand position up or own the keyboard can be totally thwarted by high buttons.

Can the action be modified to lower the button height?  Would it be easier, or even possible, to find and install buttons that aren't square on the sides like Hohner buttons?  If I was designing the box, I would have shaped the buttons like marbles!

Any help or advice would be much appreciated from anyone familiar with the problem, or fixing it.  I imagine that it must be a common problem.  If you can point me to an old thread that I may have missed, that would be helpful, too.  Thanks in advance  :)

sCANdanADIAN

• Regular debater
Re: (another) Newbie keyboard modification question
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 05:41:55 AM »

Sorry to divert from your question but the name Chrissie Leatham caught my eye,I've been obsessed with her playing for a while now.Didn't she play piano accordion?If not what did she play and how many recordings of her's are there out there?
I know of only those two 78rpm medleys on Raretunes.I'd like to find more if it's out there.

Chris
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 03:55:31 AM by sCANdanADIAN »

finnhorse

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 07:00:07 AM »

...the name Chrissie Leatham caught my eye,I've been obsessed with her playing for a while know.Didn't she play piano accordion?

Admittedly, I know nothing about her, not even which instrument she played.  I assumed it was a diatonic, from the tunes I downloaded on the same site that you found.  You say she played the piano accordion?  That might explain some of the more nimble-fingered runs.  Perhaps she played diatonic and PA?  Because I read an account somewhere on the net, describing her near-victory at an accordion contest, second only to Jimmy Shand.  It seems hard to believe that a contest would have permitted her PA to compete with Shand's diatonic, it would have been impossible to judge fairly as they are two totally different disciplines.  But I've noticed the same type of playing on other recordings, and Shand is also a good example of that.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 07:26:47 AM »

... But I'm really having a tough time overcoming the issue of button height

Button height can be adjusted by bending the levers, and/or by putting thicker padding on the pallets.  Thicker padding will take longer to fit, and you will also have to do some lever bending but has the additional advantage of reducing noise.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

mikesamwild

• Melodeon, Button Accordion, Anglo Concertina
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 09:15:24 AM »

With my old Pokerwork inthe 1970s I used to put a strip of camping sleeping mat sponge behind the levers in the fingerboard and also wedged a piece of dowel with foam stuck to it across the levers to get desired travel. remove grille and leave it off for a bit to get the best location. I speeded up my playing and saved my fingernail skin!
I also used thicker pallet leather using bits of chamois leather car wash leather when I found the optimal position and did a little bit of lever bending of the aluminium , as Theo suggests.
I found that this and dry tuning made a very responsive Erica for Irish music with a D/G for many years till the second hand Saltarelle Conemara III from Oakwood in Leeds came along and I had an insurance windfall to afford it!
Mike in Sheffield

If music be the food of love -who finds the time?

finnhorse

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 02:55:15 AM »

Theo, can you describe how and where the levers are to be bent in some more detail, and which tools you use, etc.?  Thanks all for the help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal