Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Midi keyboards v acoustic boxes.  (Read 7734 times)

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Midi keyboards v acoustic boxes.
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2011, 05:58:03 PM »

The kid on the piano accordion seems to have both!

I think he is called Wullie Scott.  I liked his accordion playing, though he still has to learn that sometimes less is more in music.  He seemed to want to display all his technique as soon as possible.  I'm sure he will become more laid back as he matures as a person and a player.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2011, 01:58:26 AM »

I had to stop the electronic version just as he slid into the second tune. Skill yes. But feeling? I didn't discern any in the first tune. It sounded outstandingly unmusical to me - no lilt at all.

It gets slightly better as it goes on, but I agree, little musical expression, even for a keyboard player :( The young accordionist was better, but only just. He has a habit of playing things unnecessarily fast. I am shocked that he is only 16 though, he is this chap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex8riLq28TI who a group of us are trying to emulate, trying to get missing time up to speed. It's tricky on BCC#, slightly easier on PA I reckon. I prefer Graeme's version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_MaekQ_7OA
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

HallelujahAl

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2011, 12:22:45 PM »

It sort of relates so I'll let you guys know here that I've put a little electronic vs acoustic box challenge up for you in the other instruments board (as most of them are PA's): See here
Good Luck!
AL

savantuk

• A Shropshire lad
  • Respected Sage
  • Location - Whitchurch, Shropshire.
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2011, 11:42:37 AM »

Whilst I think both players have tremendous skill, I preferred the keyboard player.

He played the pieces straight, without too much ornamentation, but with abundant enthusiasm.

As a player who has only ever played for dancing and my own enjoyment, I always play without ornamentation.  I remember once being told (by a Northumbrian pipes player), for dancing, always play the music straight, the dancers will appreciate it, and dance better for it.
Regards,

Doug

Castagnari Tommy D/G ~  Castagnari Max in C ~ Irish Dancemaster converted toy in C with Cagnoni reeds

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2011, 01:38:05 PM »

The kid on the piano accordion seems to have both!

I think he is called Wullie Scott.  I liked his accordion playing, though he still has to learn that sometimes less is more in music.  He seemed to want to display all his technique as soon as possible.  I'm sure he will become more laid back as he matures as a person and a player.
I'm just catching up on this thread. I didn't realise there was a clip of Wullie (Willie, William) Scott on it. I hear him 2-3 times a month at local accordion and fiddle clubs. Now 19, he hasn't slowed down much. A week ago he won the Classical Polka section at the National Association of Accordion and Fiddle Clubs competitions. He can be heard playing at the winners' concert on "Take The Floor" on BBC iPlayer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00z5884/Take_the_Floor_12_03_2011. He's at 1hr 36min 25sec into the programme and his tune is called, appropriately enough, "A Fond La Caisse", which I understand is colloquial French for "Flat Out" or "Pedal To The Metal".
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal