Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Learning Resource?  (Read 2364 times)

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
A Learning Resource?
« on: January 29, 2011, 11:02:24 AM »

Dear All,
I've been slowly trying to absorb some of Sandy's excellent 'Eureka Moments' and am very grateful she's had the kind thought to share them with the rest of us.
As a beginner, I'm on the Steep Uphill Curve and find I can't always take in everything at all times. At this point in my learning, some things make sense whilst others I've put to one side for a moment and will revisit later. One Eureka - playing very stuccato to ensure you properly learn a tune, and clearly sound the notes - has made sense this week, and I'm finding it incredibly useful, so am working on that. In fact thinking about it, need to work on it all the time.....
I've put the pah-ums to one side ???

I was wondering.... would it be possible to set up an online resource for learning tips and hints? 
Somewhere where we could dip in and out of, according to your need. Taking Sandy's Eurekas as an example, a brief description of the idea, i.e. playing stuccato to get clarity of notes and maybe a short Youtube showing it, or a tune ( abc or dots ) where it is best illustrated.
I realise it would take time and considerable energy to set up, and need moderating too, but might be an incredibly useful resource.

I think this might be directed towards those 'Heros' and 'Sages' out there.
Any thoughts people?
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: A Learning Resource?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 11:22:44 AM »

It's here, you are using it!  Is it not working for you?

Seriously though, there are so many different ways to play, and so many different approaches to learning, multiply together the two and the permutations are almost endless.  I doubt if it is possible to put together a resource that both reflects the full diversity, and is searchable in any logical way.  Of course there are many generous teachers who have taken the time to compile their own methods into tutor books, eg Mally, George Garside, Maggie Moore, just to mention a few English ones, there are several good French tutor books, and numerous Irish ones.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 03:12:46 PM »

Well....Yes!!!
I did actually think that as I pressed 'post'.

Please don't think it's a criticism, I certainly didn't mean it that way. The advice I've gleaned from the forum has been quite stunning in every way, authoratative, enormously helpful and freely given,.....and good! All in a spirit of freindship.
I feel a tear coming..... ;)
Had we been in an internet age when I first started messing with bellows driven farty things, I'm certain I'd have stuck with melodeon rather than passing over to English Concertina. 'Twas the basses wot confused, except now there is advice and tutors to help, unlike then when you just had to get on with it. Hey ho.

I take the point, and actually this forum has a huge advantage in 'fixed' faq type ones. This is totally interactive with your immediate problem, as I have found out. Ask a question about a problem that has just hit you as you play, and there's an instant answer  ( or several helpful tips ) a keyboard away.
......  :|bl I think I've just answered my own question.
Ahem.
OK  ....I'll just shuffle off sideways...... ermmmm just talk amongst yourselves whilst I leave............
sorry to be a nuisance.
Q

Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 03:14:28 PM »

It is plausible to say set up a wiki which all could edit on melodeon playing, but the forum has enough information I think already :P
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 04:01:14 PM »

but the forum has enough information I think already :P

and the personal touch.
Please don't think it's a criticism, I certainly didn't mean it that way.

I didn't see it as criticism
sorry to be a nuisance.

You're not. ;)
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 06:05:32 PM »

thanks Theo.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Ellie

• Saltarelle Pastourelle II
    • Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 06:30:17 PM »

What I do is have a word file saved on the computer, and every time I come across a helpful tip, I copy and paste it over. When I'm ready to learn some new things, I print it off and keep it with the rest of my music for inspiration. Don't know whether that might work for you?

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 09:52:29 PM »

Ahhhh like minds.
Yes I already have a file, it gets bigger by the day!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal