Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeon Makers Course July 2011, London  (Read 27531 times)

Alison Scott

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Oakwood, Dino Baffetti, Roma, Liliput, Streb etc.
    • Macadamia
Re: Melodeon Makers Course July 2011, London
« Reply #100 on: March 10, 2011, 05:21:22 PM »

We have all had the same e-mail. I phoned Jon and he explained in detail how the mistake occurred - quite understandable. While the extra £550 is going to be hard to find, I am still committed to going. To be honest, I didn't understand how they could do it for the original price quoted, when you think that each course member is guaranteed to "leave with a professional standard instrument, fully tuned and ready to play".

The timing of this course would have been very difficult for work, but even so I was hugely tempted, at least in part because £1400 seemed impossibly cheap for what was on offer. Ah well. Perhaps another time.

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #101 on: March 11, 2011, 12:19:00 PM »

I was very tempted by this course and am so glad I didn't subscribe.  Whatever reason has been given an offer had been made, acceptance has taken place and consideration has passed.  I am appalled that someone is now asking for an increase even if it is a genuine error.  The error is not on the part of the delegates.

Unlike other members posts, I don't feel it was under priced.  The majority of the cost of making a box is in the labour.  I suspect the majority costs for this project are fees and profits.  There is nothing wrong with either of these, it is after all a business project. The final cost to delegates is no doubt comparable with the ex factory cost of a box made on the continent to which one must add vat, carriage and dealer margins, again all of which are fair and legitimate.  The joy of the course is to have made it yourself.  If you cost in your own time then there are little or no savings.  If you choose to add the hotel and food costs then it would be cheaper to buy outright.

IMHO the people or organisation making the error should have kept quiet, bit on the bullet and allowed the course to run as advertised.
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #102 on: March 11, 2011, 12:51:31 PM »

IMHO the people or organisation making the error should have kept quiet, bit on the bullet and allowed the course to run as advertised.

They couldn't have done what you suggest because it would have meant one private individual being out of pocket personally by around £2,500. There was a breakdown in communication. The tutor had stated that he could not cope with more than ten course members; the college had done its costings on fifteen. Since the college has not organised the course and its facilities are merely being hired, there is no reason to expect that they would be prepared to hire out those facilities at a loss. The only way the course could have run at the original cost would have been if the tutor had been prepared to run it at a loss or if the middle man who is trying to organise the course had been prepared to foot the bill. Both of these options would be unfair and impractical. This left the options of offering it at the higher cost, which I still believe to be reasonable, or cancelling the whole thing. Since full refunds are being given to those who don't want to or can't find the exta money, the best is being made of an unfortunate situation. If sufficient people feel that the revised course fee is reasonable, the course will run; if not, it won't.

These comments are based on a discussion I had with the course organiser a couple of days ago.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #103 on: March 11, 2011, 01:11:10 PM »

Thanks for the full explanation Bob and I do totally take all the points.   I'm sort of coming in from the side so to speak and thinking in business terms.  I'll butt out but I still think it is wrong and unfair on you guys who have subscribed in good faith.
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

Fidjit

• my space on My Space
« Reply #104 on: March 11, 2011, 01:56:02 PM »

It's only money. Enjoy the experience. The buzz you will get from making your own box will overcome the expense involved.. 

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #105 on: March 11, 2011, 03:18:50 PM »

I have to say I'm with you on this one; it's unfair practice to advertise a course at a set price, have people enrol in good faith on that basis, then hoik up the price by a not insubstantial amount.  In another life I make carved marionettes; if I quote a customer a price and then something I hadn't bargained for crops up and increases my costs, I wouldn't dream of trying to pass that cost on to my customer. It's not his/her fault that my making costs have risen and they've placed their order in good faith accepting my quotation; and I suspect they'd have a good case in law if I did try to charge them more having agreed what is in effect a legally binding contract. Whoever's the fault, it's not the course members', and they shouldn't be expected to fork out for somebody else's cock-up. The buck stops with whoever is actually in charge of running the course, and a financial loss is one of the risks you take.
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #106 on: March 13, 2011, 08:19:18 PM »

Things have gone very quiet in the last few days. Has anyone heard anything recently about the likelihood of this course running?
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Morrisbox

• Good talker
« Reply #107 on: March 14, 2011, 12:50:54 PM »

Things have gone very quiet in the last few days. Has anyone heard anything recently about the likelihood of this course running?

Not a thing, like you I'm waiting anxiously!

Trevor

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #108 on: March 14, 2011, 03:21:23 PM »

I have just spoken to the Admissions Department at South Thames College. Apparently seven people have indicated a willingness to take part in the melodeon making course at the increased price of £1,950. The course needs another three members to run. If they do not come forward very soon, the course will be cancelled; so, if there are any people out there who are interested but have not enrolled yet, they need to do so a.s.a.p. or there will not be a course.

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #109 on: March 15, 2011, 11:36:16 AM »

I spoke to the "refund" department, in the hope of getting my credit card refunded beofre it goes through the direct debit, and (predictably?) they knew nothing about refunds, and have promised to get back to me - anyone else got their money back yet?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 12:21:57 PM by brianread »
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

BFG

• Good talker
  • Sandpiper D/G, Pariselle G/C
« Reply #110 on: March 15, 2011, 12:16:41 PM »

Refund requested last Wednesday - I was going to give them until this Wednesday and then chase. Same situation - I'd rather the refund went through before I had to pay the credit card bill.

Rob
Beginner - definitely a beginner

David J

• Regular debater
« Reply #111 on: March 16, 2011, 02:23:17 PM »

I have just spoken to Jon and it appears the course has now been cancelled. The college was inflexible regarding their fee, hence the steep increase. He assured me that all course fees will be refunded by Friday.
Luukinen Elene III, Baffetti Binci, and an increasing number of Hohners

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #112 on: March 16, 2011, 02:57:54 PM »

I had a phone call from them yesterday confirming that my money will be refunded on Friday.

Shame that it has failed to happen.

mmm - thinking if it could be arranged somewhere else.  I presume I can assume that there is a need? 

I'll need to make some phone calls...

I'll report on any progress tomorrow.
Brian Read
A STREB!!,
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #113 on: March 16, 2011, 03:09:59 PM »

I have just spoken to Jon and it appears the course has now been cancelled.  He assured me that all course fees will be refunded by Friday.
This is so unfortunate.

The college was inflexible regarding their fee, hence the steep increase.
This refusal to be flexible and to negotiate makes me sad. In the past I've had similar problems with the university here in Sheffield, resulting in the cancellation of an entire course.

If the college had agreed to go ahead, albeit with a reduced fee, they would have gained some financial benefit, the course would have run and everyone would have been happy. But now the course has been cancelled, the college will receive nothing in fees but will have still have administration costs to absorb from their finances elsewhere. So short-sighted and inflexible. And everyone is disgruntled and unhappy.  :(
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #114 on: March 16, 2011, 04:48:36 PM »

mmm - thinking if it could be arranged somewhere else.  I presume I can assume that there is a need? 
I'll need to make some phone calls...
I'll report on any progress tomorrow.

I'm very disappointed that the course has been cancelled, especially if it was due to avarice on the part of the college. Its cancellation also leaves me with two tickets for Phantom of the Opera (a treat for my wife while we would have been in London) that we shall probably not be able to use and that we certainly won't be able to return for a refund.  :'(

I agree with you, Brian, that there is probably sufficient demand to be able to run the course at a different venue and I would certainly be willing to sign up for that. You probably know more about suitable venues than I do, but Newcastle University crossed my mind. It runs a degree in folk music which (I think) includes instrument-making and it links up with the Sage Theatre over a number of folk events, so it might be kindly disposed to running a melodeon-making course and ought to have the facilities to accommodate one.

brianread

« Reply #115 on: March 16, 2011, 04:58:12 PM »

I agree with you, Brian, that there is probably sufficient demand to be able to run the course at a different venue and I would certainly be willing to sign up for that. You probably know more about suitable venues than I do, but Newcastle University crossed my mind. It runs a degree in folk music which (I think) includes instrument-making and it links up with the Sage Theatre over a number of folk events, so it might be kindly disposed to running a melodeon-making course and ought to have the facilities to accommodate one.[/color]

If someone has a link to the relevent "bit" of Newcastle Uni, then i'd be happy to pursue that, however, bearing in mind the points above about Sheffield Uni, I suspect we might well be in for more of the same.

I have in mind a far less "obvious" venue, to which I have a family connection, but I'll say no more until I have investigated it. By pure co-incidence it is also in the NE!
Brian Read
A STREB!!,

Dunny

• Regular debater
« Reply #116 on: March 16, 2011, 06:22:33 PM »

I'm really disappointed that it's been cancelled - it took me ages to convince the boss wife that it was a 'good thing' esp with the price increase.

I'd be up for attending should it be re-arranged and I'll also investigate venues in my area (South Midlands)

Bill S

« Reply #117 on: March 17, 2011, 07:31:36 AM »

I am also very disappointed that this has been cancelled & would be interested if rearranged
Bill

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #118 on: March 17, 2011, 07:46:48 AM »

Has anyone thought of contacting Katie Howson at EATMT to see if they could host the course?
EATMT has hosted the previous three one-row making courses in Stowmarket.
EATMT Melodeon Making Courses

Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

brianread

« Reply #119 on: March 17, 2011, 09:57:10 AM »

I've just spoken to Jon on the phone, and he has asked me to post on here that all is not entirely lost, and we could  be hearing some better news from him within a day or two. (:) (:) (:) (:)
Brian Read
A STREB!!,
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal