Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hohner Club  (Read 5644 times)

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
Re: Hohner Club
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2011, 03:24:54 PM »

Merci!

I have to say my experience agrees with this.  I'm much more comfortable on the "kneeward" side.  When I decided to explore the English melodeon tradition, I borrowed a D/G box and found it confounding.  Even though, technically parallel to the G/C that I've got, when I played the way I know how to play it sounded bad.  I noticed this also when teaching a bourree workshop at the Button Box Squeeze In, the D/G players had to find a way to shift down an octave.  It was very high pitched.  The technique required to get the best out of each box is very different.  Even learning the "Dark Haired Girl" this month has been a challenge because I'm playing in the "skyward" end so much.  I actually worked out an arrangement that's more kneeward, in D, and uses the half row.

I've been looking at a new box, recently, and have been looking at another G/C.  Why not another set of keys?  I really like that G/C sound.  It suits me.  Maybe I'd get an A/D again.  But moving to the high pitched boxes would be a pretty significant change.
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

nemethmik

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2011, 05:57:30 PM »

Maybe I'd get an A/D again.  But moving to the high pitched boxes would be a pretty significant change.
To me an AD and BbEb are simply transposing instruments for a GC. In my country we play in a number of pitches and it's a must that you be able to play the same tune in a couple of the most popular pitches. Usually, tunes in G are played in A and Bb as well. I play regularly with hurdy-gurdy musicians and they tune their instrument to these pitches. Most pipers here play in A, but a number of them play sets in G, Bb, F (oh yes I'd definitely need a low F/Bb melodeon).
D/G, C/F are a different world and a bit more limited than the GC, AD, BbEb family, IMHO.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 06:00:21 PM by Miklos Nemeth »

dahlberg

• Custom
  • Regular debater
  • Huvvaligen
    • Spelparkering
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2011, 08:37:05 AM »

this thread is started to drift....
BUT i have to make an input, the standard melodeon here is G/C but since fiddlers are so dominate at sessions you have to follow them.
A lot of fiddlers favourites here in the north are in D but playing in D on an A/D box is not so fast.
So thats why i bought the Granesso to have a box one can play with fiddlers in D but also nyckelharpa and melodeon in G. No one here arround have a D/G so i have never touched one,but all players i have spoked to are buying my idea.

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2011, 04:03:19 PM »

Regarding difference between GD and GC. I have only been playing GC for a few months, mainly French, in particular Limousin region and they seen to play 90% on the inside (C) row with only a few songs on the G row. Having started on a one row before moving to a GD I don't find it a problem switching to the upper octave but I do find that I am starting to cross rows quite a bit more than my usual GD style. So, different but not such a culture shock as I had feared.

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2011, 06:30:22 PM »

I've enjoyed playing French tunes when on holiday but struggled with them on my D/G box.  I bought a G/C box and suddenly they fall under the fingers.  From this admittedly rather small sample I think it is the tunes which are either written or sourced for a particular box type and not the other way around.  I now play on the box that most suits the tune and I totally agree that the wrong tune on the wrong box sounds bad whilst the right tune on the right box sounds great.
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

nemethmik

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2011, 06:47:41 PM »

I have only been playing GC for a few months, mainly French, in particular Limousin region and they seen to play 90% on the inside (C) row with only a few songs on the G row
Interesting. I've just reviewed all the tunes/songs in the book Le livre du debutant by Yann Dour: 44 are of the keys G major, A minor, G mixolydian played mostly on the knee-ward part of the G row, and only 4 tune are in C played mostly on the C row.

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2011, 09:19:05 PM »

I am musically illiterate and so learn 100% by ear and as I say the great bulk of the dance tunes I am picking up from local, Limousin (spelling?) musicians' CDs are in C. I have no complaints as this makes life easy! Coming from a southern English music background I find the tunes come to me much more naturally than Irish, with which I have struggled in vain for 30 years! Something that really seems to help is seeing the dances that the tunes are used for on utube etc. Things fall into place when you see/hear the tune and dance together.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal