Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Acknowledgement of Order and Deposit Paid  (Read 3895 times)

Kiaulleyder

Acknowledgement of Order and Deposit Paid
« on: February 17, 2011, 02:35:56 PM »

Can anyone advise whether it's unreasonable of me to expect an email acknowledgment for the deposit I paid on a new box back in early November? I wasn't too bothered as it's a well-known UK music shop, but
because I was told 6-8 weeks delivery and it's now been 14 weeks I'm getting worried. My emails have been ignored so I tried ringing (last time 2 weeks ago) and was told they still haven't got a delivery date but an acknowledgement would be sent - but still nothing! Should I be concerned? I don't want to be a pest and ring again (especially as he was a bit narky with me last time!).

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
Re: Acknowledgement of Order and Deposit Paid
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 02:40:14 PM »

Personally, I'd chase them. If they didn't send an acknowledgement when they said they would, they deserve a bit of pestering.

savantuk

• A Shropshire lad
  • Respected Sage
  • Location - Whitchurch, Shropshire.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 02:59:28 PM »

Hi,

If I were you, I'd be pestering them.  It's a very, very long time not to hear anything.  As for the owner being 'narky', you are the customer, and he should be bending over backwards to help, not being difficult.

Pestering?? Not a bit - I'd be hammering his door down!
Regards,

Doug

Castagnari Tommy D/G ~  Castagnari Max in C ~ Irish Dancemaster converted toy in C with Cagnoni reeds

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 03:17:00 PM »

Have they cashed the cheque or accepted the online credit? If they have, they can be taken to have received your payment and they have a contract with you to supply your box. If they haven't, I would suggest that you ring them again mentioning the possibility of your cancelling and buying elsewhere. This might, with luck, get the result you want.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 04:37:14 PM »

Pester away I say - and if no joy then us all know about please!
AL

zippydw

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 05:04:41 PM »

My 'day job side' suggests this is a very bad sign. I am in the 'pester away' club. You should be ringing daily to get a firm status.

In the world economy such that it is, most specialty business are very hard pressed. The musical instrument industry is getting creamed. And with the slow recovery (or any recovery at all in many parts of Europe) you never know where the problem is. It could be the shop- a very likely suspect. You don't say who the manufacturer is. It could be they are strapped money-wise slowing their deliveries...or worse.

Kiaulleyder

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 12:09:18 AM »

Thank you all for the helpful replies. I've never had this problem before so was unsure what to do. As emails have been ignored and promises of returning my phone calls not materialised, I've written a letter - perhaps that my provoke a response!

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 02:04:00 AM »

Thank you all for the helpful replies. I've never had this problem before so was unsure what to do. As emails have been ignored and promises of returning my phone calls not materialised, I've written a letter - perhaps that my provoke a response!

I'd be surprised if it did :P Best to phone them up and not hang up until you get a straight answer about what's going on.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

waldoB

• Regular debater
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 05:34:28 AM »

Taking money and not supplying goods is inexcusable. Often a harbinger of serious financial problems. I have in the past placed and paid in full for an order with a ' well known musical instrument retailer ' , from whom I had purchased several instruments. I received acknowledgement and advice that it would be delivered in three days. It was not. A week of telephone calls and two recorded delivery letters produced an answer - it would be delivered in 6-8 weeks, and cost more. I cancelled the order, and firm action produced a refund. Naturally they have lost a customer forever.

Why not list all the dates of all your attempts to contact the vendor, then send an e mail with details to the manufacturer ? No responsible manufacturer wants to be represented by retailer, who takes sometimes a 100% mark up on imports, and does not fulfill their obligations. Contrary to popular comment I have found Italian companies very helpful and easy to communicate with.

Ask yourself do you really want to deal with a company that behaves like this even before you have the instrument. Imagine your situation if you have a query or problem after you have received your new purchase. There are responsible vendors who sell instruments that they have in stock, and provide after sales service, in some instances a lifetime warranty by default !

Good luck
DB

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 09:15:20 AM »

I have no idea about this retailer but I do know that in a case like this the best option is ACTION NOW.  Not this afternoon, not later this morning.  Now.   And keep it up.  Every hour if you have to.  It's your hard earned cash no one should take it from you.

best of luck  (:)
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

Kiaulleyder

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 05:01:28 PM »

Either my letter (or posting on here!) has at last prompted a phone call from the shop to let me know why there's been such a delay. Thank you melodeon.net!

savantuk

• A Shropshire lad
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 05:10:41 PM »

The thing is, are you happy with the excuse - does it sound reasonable, and is there still a promise of delivery??

If not, now that he has explained the delay, and admitted some sort of fault, a cancellation and refund may be a wise move?
Regards,

Doug

Castagnari Tommy D/G ~  Castagnari Max in C ~ Irish Dancemaster converted toy in C with Cagnoni reeds

Kiaulleyder

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 06:23:11 PM »

The excuse for not sending me an acknowledgement or updating me on delay wasn't reasonable, but the reason for delay was. I've been put in the picture about what's going on and given an estimated date of delivery now, so I'm happy with that. (Won't be though if it's still not here in a couple of weeks!)

savantuk

• A Shropshire lad
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 10:22:04 AM »

Any news??  Has it arrived yet??  Binci??? :|||: ;D
Regards,

Doug

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 02:57:05 PM »

I have only once bought a bespoke box , all the others were tried before purchase.  The retailer was helpful, but the middle man (importer) and manufacturer less so.  Indeed the importer  - a well known music shop - lied and tried to cheat me, claimimg the box delivered was "special" and wanting to increase the price by nearly £1000.  Two weeks delivery turned into nine months, but I believe that was most likely to have been the manufacturer's fault.  There are many tales of how you can go the factory in Italy and buy someone else's bespoke box for cash!

Keep at them!

Rob.

Kiaulleyder

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 09:44:40 PM »

A nine month wait after being quoted 2 weeks beats me! I was told mine would "hopefully" be with me by Christmas, but it finally arrived today so only 10 weeks late!

Started to get some information once the head man at the shop took over - but despite repeated requests I still didn't get written acknowledgement of my order or my specific requirements. This was so very different to the last box I ordered - a Pietro Mario. Pietro couldn't have been more helpful and informative - emailing and ringing me regularly.

I know where I won't be shopping any more!

Keithypete.

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 09:37:59 AM »

'Name and shame' I say - as long as you are accurate & honest!
 >:(
Beltuna Sara II - B/C flavour.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

Bobtheboat

• 'On the cut' near Lichfield, UK
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 10:54:57 AM »

I agree with Keithypete, naming and shaming could save others from similar shabby treatment. I would imagine that reputation is a valuable thing to those trading in bespoke instruments so praise where it's due and fair criticism when called for can only improve things for all of us. ( climbs down off high horse!)
'Rowbotham Erika Extraordinaire' (12 bass + stop G/C/acc), Hohner Liliput Bb-Eb. Castagnari Rik G/C/acc

Rob Phillips

• Good talker
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 07:43:35 PM »

Would some rough music be in order?

rough music (n)
(Music, other) (Historical Terms) (formerly) a loud cacophony created with tin pans, drums, etc., esp as a protest or demonstration of indignation outside someone's house

Bearing in mind this is a music shop, maybe some communal music could take place in the shop itself  --  nicely out of tune, of course.  >:E

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2011, 10:06:04 PM »

It can't be difficult to discover the culprit.  How many music instrument shops are there on the Isle of Man  ???
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal