Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Experience with Melodica/ Vibrandoneon/ others?  (Read 6967 times)

Amarel

• New Starter
Experience with Melodica/ Vibrandoneon/ others?
« on: February 22, 2011, 04:54:11 PM »

Hi!
Hope, my English is comprehensible.

I'm asking for an advice about these kinds of keyboard wind instruments (?).
At the moment I play Melodica Hohner 36. I'm satisfied with the sound (before I played Hohner 32 - BIG difference!) but I use it a lot and it needs to be tuned quite often. I think I use it more often than it's build for. Especially because the water doesn't come out easily after playing. I think this is a big part of the problem.
Also it would not be bad to have a louder instrument. I'm playing a lot together with saxophone and tuba in street music theatre. My colleagues somehow know but never exactly hear what I'm actually playing. Sometimes this is good  ;D  But I'd prefer to be louder.

Do you have experiences you can share with me or suggestions?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Amarel

PS: I'm searching for non-diatonic instruments with piano keyboard instead of buttons.

HallelujahAl

Re: Experience with Melodica/ Vibrandoneon/ others?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 03:19:16 PM »

Hi Amarel - I play a cheap 37 key melodica, purely for pleasure. But if I were going to get one with real volume I don't there's any doubt that I'd go for the Hammond Melodica as it is a superb instrument! Welcome to the forum and hope you have fun.
:)
AL

Amarel

• New Starter
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 06:24:53 PM »

Hi Al,

thank you very much!
I just start discovering all the different "Melodicas", there are so many!!
The Hammond Melodica seems good and doens't cost as much as the Vibrandoneon. I haven't heard of it before, but I even found a shop here in Germany which sells them. I'll try to go there to test the instruments.

Best wishes,
Amarel

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 01:34:38 AM »

You have probably already found this, but for what the melodica can do, click here: http://www.youtube.com/user/JamesHowardYoung
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

waldoB

• Regular debater
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 07:37:36 PM »

I use a Hohner Piano 32, very useful for working out chords and trying partial chords. A flat workspace  sometimes is more obvious than one than goes in different directions.

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 08:58:06 PM »

I still have a little Hohner Alto that I bought many, many years ago for the kids... I use it instead of a full keyboard or melodeon when trying to figure out tunes and chords, etc. 
Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F and G/C,
Hohner Erica A/D, Roland FR-18

Ziachmusi/Louise

• Respected Sage
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 09:23:02 AM »

Hi Amarel
if you're in Germany you could google Jurij Kravets, he plays a CBA and a Vibrandoneon (i think chromatic) from his Gigs it looks like he maybe based somewhere in Franken, try emailing him.

Louise

savantuk

• A Shropshire lad
  • Respected Sage
  • Location - Whitchurch, Shropshire.
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 11:52:13 PM »

You have probably already found this, but for what the melodica can do, click here: http://www.youtube.com/user/JamesHowardYoung

This is absolutely fascinating.  I had always considered the melodica as (if not a toy) a serious instrument.  To see these being played with such virtuosity is wonderful.  I have a lot of listening to do.  Thanks for the link.
Regards,

Doug

Castagnari Tommy D/G ~  Castagnari Max in C ~ Irish Dancemaster converted toy in C with Cagnoni reeds

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 08:55:58 PM »

This is absolutely fascinating.  I had always considered the melodica as (if not a toy) a serious instrument.  To see these being played with such virtuosity is wonderful.  I have a lot of listening to do.  Thanks for the link.

You're welcome and it is wonderful stuff, isn't it? (:)
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Christopher K.

• Content Manager
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 07:42:28 AM »

Augustus Pablo was all melodica. He played on a few different instruments, from ex-kindergarten instruments on up to new posh models.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiaekG1Q0UE

Fun stuff around 1:30.

King Tubby meets Rockers Uptown is a great record, but there isn't a bad Rockers album out there.  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal