Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Knutsford  (Read 4650 times)

Robin Harrison

• Good talker
Knutsford
« on: June 27, 2008, 07:11:14 PM »

Could any of you guys who go regularly to English sessions tell me if this is a popular tune.........is it played frequently/infrequently .
           Thanks Robin

On the copy I've got ,it's either written by J.B.Milne or it's an alternative title.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 10:20:39 PM by Robin Harrison »

Bill the Farmer

• Not quite so
  • Respected Sage
  • Hohner Club, Liliput...
    • Bill Farmer
Re: Knutsford
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 07:11:17 PM »

Could any of you guys who go regularly to English sessions tell me if this is a popular tune.........is it played frequently/infrequently .
           Thanks Robin

On the copy I've got ,it's either written by J.B.Milne or it's an alternative title.

There's a interesting story towards the end of this page. It gets played regularly in sessions around Lewes.
Bill of Old Shoreham Town

Waltham

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 09:29:08 PM »

If it is J B Milne's Polka then The Old Swan Band did a nice version coupled with the Rose Polka.  I used to play it in sessions a lot about fifteen years ago and very occasionally someone would join in but not often. 

On the other hand you might be thinking of Knutsford City Limits, a big hit for Ike & Tina Turner.  What?  You never heard of Northern Soul.

Robin Harrison

• Good talker
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 03:46:18 PM »

Thanks............The Old Swan Band.........That's where I must have heard it years ago.
         It seems clear from the Session notes it's name is J.B.Milne............I now wonder where it acquired the name Knutsford.
               Fun tune to play anyway.
  Robin

meltzer

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 03:57:18 PM »

I now wonder where it acquired the name Knutsford.

There's a garland dance of that name (I used to play for a side that did it), so perhaps that's it. Annoyingly, this computer is silent at the moment, so I can't listen to it and see if it's the same tune. Although a link to the dots might be useful, even with my limited music-reading skills.

Robin Harrison

• Good talker
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 04:34:28 PM »

Here is what I have transcribed............and in fact I'm sure your Garland dance idea is probobly the right one.Thanks
Robin

meltzer

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 04:46:30 PM »

Here is what I have transcribed............and in fact I'm sure your Garland dance idea is probobly the right one.Thanks
Robin
Cheers, Robin -- that's similar (but not identical -- but then it wouldn't be) to what I used to play for Knutsford. Case closed.  ;)

meltzer

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 04:49:29 PM »

In fact, what I used to play was kind of like a cross between that and Oyster Girl;D

Bill the Farmer

• Not quite so
  • Respected Sage
    • Bill Farmer
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 06:30:20 PM »

I now wonder where it acquired the name Knutsford.
There's a garland dance of that name (I used to play for a side that did it), so perhaps that's it. Annoyingly, this computer is silent at the moment, so I can't listen to it and see if it's the same tune. Although a link to the dots might be useful, even with my limited music-reading skills.
Our ladies side dances a Northwest clog dance called Knutsford, to a tune that might be called the same. (We don't know, and I can't find it anywhere online.) It's a jig with four parts which I quite like, but none of the musicians can remember all of it well enough to play it out, so now we use The Perfect Cure. (The perfect cure for long-winded tunes that no-one can remember)  ;)

meltzer

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 06:49:38 PM »

Come to think of it, it was a clog dance rather than a garland. They did both, and it was over 20 years ago.  :-[

george garside

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 10:33:40 PM »

Thanks............The Old Swan Band.........That's where I must have heard it years ago.
         It seems clear from the Session notes it's name is J.B.Milne............I now wonder where it acquired the name Knutsford.
               Fun tune to play anyway.
  Robin

The tune JB MILne was composed by   Angus Fitchet   and is  in 'the northumbrian pipers second tune book'.

I don't think the name Knutsford is anything whatsoevr to do with the tune other than that some morris side either decided to use it for the dance 'knutford'  or as often happens  they  learned the dance 'knutford' from another Morris side who used JB Milne but didn't know the name of the tune & so ,as often happens tagged it with the name of the dance  which then became written on tablets of stone .  Very few north west morris dances are tune specific and  I have used perfect cure for Knutford although many other tunes would do the job just as well - its the rhythm that counts.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Bill the Farmer

• Not quite so
  • Respected Sage
    • Bill Farmer
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 10:21:42 AM »

The tune we know as Knutsford is nothing like JB Milne, not even a tiny bit. Can anyone identify it?

meltzer

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 12:56:59 PM »

The tune we know as Knutsford is nothing like JB Milne, not even a tiny bit. Can anyone identify it?
The A music looks kind of familiar, can't think of the title I know (or should that be "knew"?) it by, though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal