Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help needed for jig on accordion  (Read 7576 times)

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Re: Help needed for jig on accordion
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 12:44:42 PM »

But he's right, pretentious or not! It isn't about notes.

Aha! I have seen the light now, thank you! Music isn't about notes. Yes!

And aren't those new clothes the emperor is wearing absolutely magnificent?   :-*

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2011, 01:51:38 PM »

But he's right, pretentious or not! It isn't about notes.

Aha! I have seen the light now, thank you! Music isn't about notes. Yes!

And aren't those new clothes the emperor is wearing absolutely magnificent?   :-*

Facetiousness is only a few steps away from pretension :P And yes, I was being facetious, although I do genuinely believe that music isn't about notes, I am not expecting anyone else to believe me.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2011, 02:00:28 PM »

Perhaps we can all agree that  "music is not about notes"  is true in the same context as "money is not important".  If you have enough money (notes) for your daily needs, and you don't have to worry about where the next £/$/€ (note) is coming from then you can give attention to the really important things in life (music), which may be family, friends, harmony,  rhythm, music...

Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2011, 02:03:53 PM »

I could do with a few more notes  ;D

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2011, 02:28:15 PM »

Good analogy Theo. Also, as Al has implied, music is sometimes all about notes for many of us, especially at the end of a long, tiring and thankless gig.

Seriously, though, ukebert, you might say that the beauty of such and such a musician's performance lay in how he/she "framed silence". I'd just say he/she was putting the notes in the right place.

Debussy's statement is brilliant, because it's arresting, thought-provoking, and leads us to an unexpected insight. But when it is adopted as a mantra to be trotted out on every occasion (not suggesting you do this, but I do see it with monotonous regularity) it becomes pretty meaningless.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2011, 02:40:09 PM »

Perhaps we can all agree that  "music is not about notes"  is true in the same context as "money is not important".  If you have enough money (notes) for your daily needs, and you don't have to worry about where the next £/$/€ (note) is coming from then you can give attention to the really important things in life (music), which may be family, friends, harmony,  rhythm, music...

I thought for a moment you were going to go into explanation of 'one song to the tune of another'. ;)

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2011, 07:36:42 PM »

Debussy's statement is brilliant, because it's arresting, thought-provoking, and leads us to an unexpected insight. But when it is adopted as a mantra to be trotted out on every occasion (not suggesting you do this, but I do see it with monotonous regularity) it becomes pretty meaningless.

Isn't it a cliché that a cliché only becomes a cliché because it's true? ;D
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2011, 08:32:06 PM »

Isn't it a cliché that a cliché only becomes a cliché because it's true? ;D

No, I thank that makes it a truism. :o
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal