Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bellows Frames  (Read 4370 times)

pipives

• Respected Sage
    • Pip Ives
Bellows Frames
« on: June 24, 2008, 02:44:36 PM »

Hi everyone,

My old C#/D pokerwork really needs new bellows on it. The ones on it are ok, but have had a dodgy re-tape at some time. I've just found a set of hohner bellows very cheap and in good condition. However, they haven't got end frames on them.

So- How do I safely get the end frames off the old bellows and how and what do I use to stick them onto the new ones? Is this a job I could do with realtively basic tools or will it need to go to Theo?

Any ideas?
Faversham, Kent

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: Bellows Frames
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 03:42:02 PM »

Answers awiated with baited breath as my new Tommy bellows can't be far away and will nedd the same treatment. Oh! come to think of it it may be hardere as they are directly stuck to the bass end with no frame  :-[

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 05:16:46 PM »

This is a copy of the instructions I send out with new bellows (yours arriving next month I think, Lester).
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 06:40:41 PM by Rees »
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

pipives

• Respected Sage
    • Pip Ives
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 10:11:56 AM »

Thanks for that Rees,

It is much as I thought then. No real hidden issues.
Faversham, Kent

BruceHenderson

• Respected Sage
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 01:49:50 PM »

This is a copy of the instructions I send out with new bellows (yours arriving next month I think, Lester). (snip).
(Tommy and Lilly bellows are glued directly on to the bass box)

Are the bellows on a Benny the same?

With a sharp knife, carefully slice through the joint between the cardboard bellows and the wooden frames.
I use a carving knife with a broad but thin blade. (snip)

Is it worth a test of dampening a corner with warm water to see if the glue is "hide glue" which is easily removed with warm water or steam?  (I'm guessing a beginner might have a chance of damaging the wood with a knife but I'm also a bit leery of water around wood so I'm not putting this forward as a suggestion -- merely a question.)

Thanks, BH North Carolina USA
I love one-rows!  Four reeds kick butt!!!!

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 02:13:44 PM »

This is a copy of the instructions I send out with new bellows (yours arriving next month I think, Lester). (snip).
(Tommy and Lilly bellows are glued directly on to the bass box)
    Are the bellows on a Benny the same?

Easy enough to tell, does your Benny have bellow pins on the trebel and bass end or not?
Judging from THIS looks as if there are no pins in the bass end so same as Tommy/Lilly.

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 03:29:43 PM »

Correct, Lester. Benny is same as Tommy/Lilly.

With regard to the knife thing, what are you like at slicing bread? If you can do it like my mum with a good clean cut you shouldn't have a problem. If it's more like my dear son's nightmare on the bread-board kind of thing, perhaps it might best be left alone.
Seriously, there shouldn't be a problem as there is always a fair thickness of bellows left on the frame after cutting.

It may be worth trying to melt the glue on an old Hohner but any modern Italian box will use PVA so cutting and sanding is the only way.
I do get a perverse satisfaction from cutting a melodeon in half with a carving knife.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 11:27:10 PM »

I do get a perverse satisfaction from cutting a melodeon in half with a carving knife.
Wierdo!  :P  But you're right, PVA is a great, (relatively) modern adhesive which doesn't shrink and dries harder than any timber so careful cutting and sanding is the only way to get back to the original bellows frame to start again. Makes a great argument for patching up the old bellows don't you think? If in doubt send the job lot to Theo for a reasonably priced replacement and let him worry about it.  ;D
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

hibbs3

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 02:58:01 AM »

I recently attached new bellows to my baldoni, and once I had cut the old bellows from the frames, I placed the ends of the frames with all the old glue and bellows remenants still attachedto it on a wet cloth I had laid on the table, and let the old glue and remenants moisten and soften. They were easily removed with a knife or the like after that, no sanding or damage to the frames at all. I then let the frames dry for a couple of hours and attached with regular white wood glue, and they're fitting perfect!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal