Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: World Accordion to Phil - BBC 2 Scotland Wednesday 9th at 8.00 p.m.  (Read 5100 times)

Graeme

• Regular debater
  • BCC#, BC, moothie & steering wheel

Hi

Phil Cunningham has put together a four part series which I understand traces the history of accordions and looks at the cultural impact they have had. As most folk will know Phil plays a PA but the trailer I heard involved Sharon Shannon so button boxes will be in there somewhere. Starts this Wednesday in China with a look at the origins of free reed instruments.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00z9nkj

Graeme
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 08:47:17 AM by Graeme »

HallelujahAl

Re: World Accordion to Phil - BBC 2 Scotland Wednesday 9th at 8.00 p.m.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 09:04:03 AM »

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Graeme - will certainly be tuning in via the iPlayer if possible.
AL

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 09:09:52 AM »

Other viewing options for Southerners mentioned in this post: http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,6245.msg78442.html#msg78442

The series is getting much advance publicity on TV and in the press, so the BBC must have spent a lot on it. Further information on content and places visited in this article in the Glasgow Herald.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 09:14:42 AM by Bill Young »

HallelujahAl

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 09:11:27 AM »

viewing options for Southerners
By God's grace it'll not be long now (find out where this Thursday)...before I'll be able to tune in live!
 ;D

Gary

• Respected Sage

The World Accordion to Phil (Cunningham) is on BBC2 Scotland starts Wednesday March 9th, 8-9pm

Thanks to Caroline Hunt for the heads up on this.

Fungusface

• SAOR ALBA
  • Respected Sage
  • SAOR ALBA
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 11:11:51 PM »

Its not allowed on BBC2 IPlayer, typical anything with scottish interest on BBC is always just shown on BBC and they keep for videos /DVDs. I watched it was great to watch but no mention of any melodeons, of course maybe Phil cant play one.plus many PA see melodeons as toys so Ive heard them say.
If you wish peace, friendship, and quietness: listen and look and read

Fungusface

• SAOR ALBA
  • Respected Sage
  • SAOR ALBA
Hohners Owners Never Mentioned Hohners are now Chinese
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 11:24:21 PM »

When phil talking all about Hohners he didnt mention Hohner like many other companies gives most work out to China to do.

I wouldnt touch anything made in China have returned lots of rubbish to british shops that goods are stamped Made in China .they will ruin the western world work structure selling so much copies and second rate  goods.and world companies should be avoided that encorages their sales.

If Chinese Hohners were so good people wouldnt avoid buying them or even mention they are of the chinese variety.

Bobtheboat

• 'On the cut' near Lichfield, UK
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 11:14:30 AM »

I've got an old hohner pokerwork and a Chinese made one which is a year old. To be honest neither I nor my nearest and dearest feel one is better than the other. Admittedly the tone is slightly different but in my limited experience instruments tend to have their own individual sound within the parameters of the type.  As to the quality of build I've had no issues with my chinese box. In fact I noticed that the metal corner pieces on the Chinese one were neater. One point I'd definitely give the German box is the finish, less gaudy, but somedays I like the gaudiness of the other! Basically from what I can see the prejudice against Chinese pokerworks is just a hangover from the past. (soapbox back in cupboard...for now!) Sorry for drifting! Bob.
'Rowbotham Erika Extraordinaire' (12 bass + stop G/C/acc), Hohner Liliput Bb-Eb. Castagnari Rik G/C/acc

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 07:16:32 PM »

The programme is easily accessible on the link in the first post (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00z9nkj). Really interesting especially his visit to Castlefildardo. I wish the parts place he visited was next door. Robert Rolston who has resurrected the Manfrini brand was also on the show.

Graeme

• Regular debater
  • BCC#, BC, moothie & steering wheel
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 12:28:00 PM »

The first episode is repeated on BBC 2 Scotland this Saturday (12th) night at 6.00 p.m.

Graeme

savantuk

• A Shropshire lad
  • Respected Sage
  • Location - Whitchurch, Shropshire.
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 02:10:08 PM »

Here is a direct link to the programme.  The video should play directly without having to download iPlayer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00z9nkj/The_World_Accordion_to_Phil_Episode_1/
Regards,

Doug

Castagnari Tommy D/G ~  Castagnari Max in C ~ Irish Dancemaster converted toy in C with Cagnoni reeds

Fungusface

• SAOR ALBA
  • Respected Sage
  • SAOR ALBA
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 08:49:05 AM »

In that programe with Phil does anyone know where to get one of the posters he was shown whilst at the coffee table in first showing..History of accordions.

Eoin

• anglo GC, BC, BCC#
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 12:00:26 AM »

Hi Melodoenistas,

this programme is the business.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search?q=The%20World%20Accordion%20to%20Phil

Lots of button boxes,

Keep squeezing.

Eoin

parkwood

• DG Mory, CF Sandpiper & Serenellini acc*****n
    • Facebook band page
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 09:37:00 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI6Szw5G4T8&feature=related

The Breton fishing boat was my favourite moment from the programme - thought I'd share!

Ziachmusi/Louise

• Respected Sage
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 03:58:01 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI6Szw5G4T8&feature=related

The Breton fishing boat was my favourite moment from the programme - thought I'd share!

your link it to a great video of Kepa Junkera (wish my fingers could move that quick!)
I think the video you mean ishttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU7vUPfORzE&feature=related

parkwood

• DG Mory, CF Sandpiper & Serenellini acc*****n
    • Facebook band page
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2012, 07:46:18 PM »

Whoops - thanks for the correction!!

Marje

• Respected Sage
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 05:08:23 PM »

And thanks for the link to that clip, which brought back memories for me. Some years ago we were on holiday in Belle Isle, off the south coast of Brittany, and went into the main town one evening. As we walked around the seafront I heard music and singing that sounded, to me, remarkably like the Dubliners. We followed the sound into a bar, where a Breton band were singing a song to almost exactly this tune. I don't remember much about the rest of the music, except that we enjoyed it all very much. I do recall that there was tartan wallpaper and thistle-shaped glasses, from which we drank extremely strong and delicious beer. Somehow we managed to cycle back to our campsite although I think I felt a bit fragile the next morning. But happy memories!
Marje
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal