Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Minor Chords?  (Read 2751 times)

tjsmithdog5

• Regular debater
Minor Chords?
« on: June 25, 2008, 04:55:38 PM »

As a new button box player, I am mystified by a Youtube performance of La Valse d'Amelie seen at this link:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=IJj-dSEsVN0

The instrument is apparently a G/C Merlin, which I assume to be the same as my recently acquired G/C Morgane except for the +2. If so, where does the D minor chord come from? Is there some easy way to block the third from the D major chord, or has the player taken more drastic steps?

Thanks for your help. I'm very grateful to all the knowledgeable contributors to this forum.
Jeff Smith, Michigan
Laura G/C, Giordy D/G, Preciosa C/F

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Minor Chords?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 05:13:58 PM »

D bass played with F chord gives you a Dm7.  This is a well known trick!  The other commonly used one is E bass + G chord to provide an Em7.  I can't quite work out what the utube player is doing because the bass end keeps going out of shot.  I think he might have had his E chord altered to minor.

Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

tjsmithdog5

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 04:39:18 AM »

Thanks, Mr. G, for your plausible response to my question. But the D minor chord is the first one he plays in the piece while the bass side is still visible, and it seems pretty clear that he is using his first and second fingers on the top two buttons of the outside bass row. That would make it D-D major on a G/C with conventional tuning, right?, but the sound we hear is D-D minor.  Could you take a moment to look at it again and see whether you agree? Much obliged.
Jeff Smith, Michigan
Laura G/C, Giordy D/G, Preciosa C/F

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 09:31:34 AM »

In that case he must either have the thirds taken out of the D chord, or less likely the chord tuned to a minor.  As far as I can tell from listening I think the chord has no third.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal