Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Does anybody recognise this old Hohner please??  (Read 4479 times)

savantuk

• A Shropshire lad
  • Respected Sage
  • Location - Whitchurch, Shropshire.
Does anybody recognise this old Hohner please??
« on: March 09, 2011, 05:57:10 PM »

Hi,

I have an opportunity to buy this, and wonder if anybody knows the model??

The case is original to the instrument.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 09:04:07 PM by savantuk »
Regards,

Doug

Castagnari Tommy D/G ~  Castagnari Max in C ~ Irish Dancemaster converted toy in C with Cagnoni reeds

savantuk

• A Shropshire lad
  • Respected Sage
Re: Does anybody recognise this old Hohner please??
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 06:01:52 PM »

And some more pics:

« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 06:10:15 PM by savantuk »
Regards,

Doug

Castagnari Tommy D/G ~  Castagnari Max in C ~ Irish Dancemaster converted toy in C with Cagnoni reeds

savantuk

• A Shropshire lad
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 06:06:59 PM »

More:

Regards,

Doug

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 07:22:17 PM »

Hi,

It is described as:  Hohner Gold Medal St. Louise 1904 model, made in Germany.  The case is original to the instrument.

Thanks.

No - but it looks rather splendid.
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Christopher K.

• Content Manager
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 11:33:13 PM »

I have one in Bb/Eb, 8 bass but otherwise identical. The basses sound like a Fokker DR-1, very loud and very nice tone. Treble reeds sound very smooth and surprisingly bright. That one looks to be in pretty good shape.

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 01:45:52 AM »

1904 St Louis grandprix gold award steel reeds with brass reeds 😍
Hohner Corso A/D x2, G/C, Corona II A/D/G from the 60s.
Hohner Pre Corona II BsEsAs,Club IV C/F Pre-War, Liliput C/F, Mignon I (G) Piano from the 30s, Kromatica III from the 60s harmonica. Hohner Kids I. Pearl Forum series 80s, Zildjian, Sabían, Wuhan cymbals. Ludwig snare 70s.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 09:39:13 AM »

Individual reed plates pinned onto leather gaskets are a sign of good build quality.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Accordion Dave

• Respected Sage
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 06:58:33 PM »

Looks like one that I have in the keys of A and D. Of course A is 435 hertz rather than 440 hertz. The bellows on mine leaks a bit, but otherwise it is a pleasant box to play.

triskel

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 06:00:33 AM »

It's described in my oldest Hohner list (1905, or very slightly later) as:

No. 495 - "Italian" style "HOHNER" ACCORDEON. Most Beautiful and perfect Accordeon ever made, the greatest care being given to their Manufacture. Top 11 x 5 1/2". 21 Keys, 12 Basses, 14 Strong folds Ebonized case with Polished Alderwood edge. "Very rich tone".

I've got the single row version of it, with spring-loaded catches and steel reeds, and the range of instruments then available is illustrated/described in the Hohner Accordeon Instructor, for Single, Double and Triple Row Instruments - Supplied free with all Hohner Accordeons that was in the original cardboard box along with it.

hickory-wind

• Lives in NY USA near the Erie Canal
    • Bellingers' Button Boxes
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 08:48:24 PM »

Here are a couple similar age and design but not identical. These have flat, closed keyboards. Left one in CF, right in BE.

Scott

BellingersButtonBoxes.com

too many boxes...please buy one, or two, or

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 09:38:58 PM »

I like those close fat keyboards rather than the cajun keyboards. I got one double row in D/D# but it's a Beaver. And also a couple single rows in D from Hohner GrandPrix St. Louis 1904 Brassy Reeds. Thanks all for the info.
Hohner Corso A/D x2, G/C, Corona II A/D/G from the 60s.
Hohner Pre Corona II BsEsAs,Club IV C/F Pre-War, Liliput C/F, Mignon I (G) Piano from the 30s, Kromatica III from the 60s harmonica. Hohner Kids I. Pearl Forum series 80s, Zildjian, Sabían, Wuhan cymbals. Ludwig snare 70s.

triskel

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 02:45:51 AM »

Looks like one that I have in the keys of A and D. Of course A is 435 hertz rather than 440 hertz.

I wouldn't rush to say "of course" when it comes to the pitch of these early models - my 10-key one was in beautiful original tuning when I got it, but half-a-semitone flat of concert pitch.

However, by the 1930s things seem to have got more standardised and Hohners are normally at A-435 or A-440, and often rubber-stamped with the pitch on the reedblocks (only an octave higher) as 870 or 880 respectively.

AirTime

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 05:20:36 AM »

Not that distant a cousin from my BbEb Hohner.  Mine has a "double" air button hole. Beautiful rich sound. I really like the open keyboard design & after re-facing the palettes & re-felting the buttons it has a very smooth, quiet action.

1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

Sebastian

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 08:39:24 AM »

often rubber-stamped with the pitch on the reedblocks (only an octave higher) as 870 or 880 respectively.
870 or 880 mark the number of halfcycles per second. They are equal to 435/440 full cycles per second ("Doppelschwingungen") or 435/440 Hertz.

triskel

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2018, 01:06:02 PM »

Not that distant a cousin from my BbEb Hohner.  Mine has a "double" air button hole. Beautiful rich sound.

That's a No. 496, and the only lists I have that on are dated 1926 and 1929 respectively.

(In fact it's shown on the front cover of the 1926 How to Play a Hohner Accordion.)

triskel

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2018, 01:49:14 PM »

870 or 880 mark the number of halfcycles per second. They are equal to 435/440 full cycles per second ("Doppelschwingungen") or 435/440 Hertz.

"Doppelschwingungen"? It sounds like a peculiar concept for measuring pitch... ???

But while I've got your attention, I have a question for you that's relevant to this thread: My circa 1905 Hohner, and numerous other old (mainly 19th century) German instruments (both accordions and concertinas) that I have, seem to have been made in a pitch that's about half-a-semitone flat of A-440, but I've never managed to identify what it's called - do you have any idea? (It has certainly caused some confusion in Britain, where many instruments used to be tuned to "Old Philharmonic" pitch, half-a-semitone sharp!)

Andrius

• Regular debater
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2018, 02:29:34 PM »

Lot of old instruments were factory tuned A=435, some of very old in A=432 (old standards).
Koch Bb/Eb 12b 3v : Koch A/D 8b 2v : Koch C/F 12b 2v : Hohner Erica C/F 8b 2v : Hohner Erika C/F 2.4 row 8b 2v : Hohner early pre-Corona F/Bb/Eb 12b 2v: Hohner Liliput 2.4 row Bb/Eb 8b 2v : Hohner Club III BS C/F 2.7 row 8b 3v : Galotta D/G 8b 2v : Meinel & Herold G/C/F 16b 2v : Unkn G/C 8b 2v : Petersburg accordion F/Bb/Eb 16b 3v: Petersburg accordion G/C/F 16b 2v : Bandoneon Alfred Arnold 128 tone 2v : Bandoneon Wilhelm König 144 tone 2 v

triskel

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2018, 03:20:44 PM »

Lot of old instruments were factory tuned A=435, some of very old in A=432 (old standards).

Yes, but A=435 is only -20, and 432 is -32 cents. I'm talking about more-like -50 cents, which would be around A=427.5...

It meant that a British A was more like a Bb on some imported German instruments, and (I think) may explain why quite a number of B/F# Anglo-German concertinas were built in England, to play with some German C/G ones.

I've also found some German wind instruments tuned as low, and had to get flute barrel joints significantly shortened to get them up to A=440. :o

pgroff

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2018, 03:39:59 PM »

Yes, but A=435 is only -20, and 432 is -32 cents. I'm talking about more-like -50 cents, which would be around A=427.5...

It meant that a British A was more like a Bb on some imported German instruments, and (I think) may explain why quite a number of B/F# Anglo-German concertinas were built in England, to play with some German C/G ones.

I've also found some German wind instruments tuned as low, and had to get flute barrel joints significantly shortened to get them up to A=440. :o

Yes, agree that there were some extremely low-pitch instruments in the teens and twenties of the 20th century (I realize this is a later period than most of the B/F# anglos). I have a very original early steel-reeded Hohner (with portrait-decorated trim) that I remember as halfway between GC and G#/C# - much below A 435 (G#/C#). I think this has an unusual number stamp on the keyboard near the key letter stamp, and that may refer to this pitch standard.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal