Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does anybody recognise this old Hohner please??  (Read 4482 times)

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
Re: Does anybody recognise this old Hohner please??
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2018, 04:59:19 PM »

Not that distant a cousin from my BbEb Hohner.  Mine has a "double" air button hole. Beautiful rich sound. I really like the open keyboard design & after re-facing the palettes & re-felting the buttons it has a very smooth, quiet action.

I have the same bass layout (or structure) how do you prevent from hitting the Air valve (LLLLLLLLLLLLLLONG) air valve while playing?
Since this is octave valves it throws out most of my air if not all while pushing.

I've tried adding some tension but still the least little touch on that octaved bar i'm getting a whole tank of air out.

thanks..
Hohner Corso A/D x2, G/C, Corona II A/D/G from the 60s.
Hohner Pre Corona II BsEsAs,Club IV C/F Pre-War, Liliput C/F, Mignon I (G) Piano from the 30s, Kromatica III from the 60s harmonica. Hohner Kids I. Pearl Forum series 80s, Zildjian, Sabían, Wuhan cymbals. Ludwig snare 70s.

Accordion Dave

• Respected Sage
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2018, 05:53:52 PM »

"I wouldn't rush to say "of course" when it comes to the pitch of these early models - my 10-key one was in beautiful original tuning when I got it, but half-a-semitone flat of concert pitch."

I checked mine with an electronic tuner set to A-435 and most of the notes were quite close to the middle of the meter scale.

My 1904 has 21 treble buttons and 12 bass buttons. As I mentioned it is in the keys of A and D.

triskel

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2018, 07:28:55 PM »

I checked mine with an electronic tuner set to A-435 and most of the notes were quite close to the middle of the meter scale.

I wouldn't be at all surprised at it being A=435, with a scale that (if in original tuning) is sweetly tempered (as mine was when I got it), but there was no single "standard" of pitch at the time and I was suggesting that there's not really an "of course" when it comes to old tunings.

My 1904 has 21 treble buttons and 12 bass buttons. As I mentioned it is in the keys of A and D.

Mine is in D and was beautifully in tune with itself, but this was back in the '70s and I wanted to be able to play it with other people then and I got Nils Nielsen to retune it to "concert pitch". It's still a great little box, but I regret doing that to it because the old tuning was absolutely gorgeous, and I understand a lot more about it now...  :-\

AirTime

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2018, 01:52:25 AM »

Not that distant a cousin from my BbEb Hohner.  Mine has a "double" air button hole. Beautiful rich sound. I really like the open keyboard design & after re-facing the palettes & re-felting the buttons it has a very smooth, quiet action.

I have the same bass layout (or structure) how do you prevent from hitting the Air valve (LLLLLLLLLLLLLLONG) air valve while playing?
Since this is octave valves it throws out most of my air if not all while pushing.

I've tried adding some tension but still the least little touch on that octaved bar i'm getting a whole tank of air out.

thanks..

You mean the long bar that controls the air buttons? I understand that some people use it "as is" & manage perfectly well. I found it awkward to use, so I screwed a little wooden button into the airbar (see the attached Jpeg) & then press my thumb against it (similar to the way the button works on a Hohner Pokerwork) to activate the air buttons. It means that only the second knuckle of the thumb & is pressing against the button. It took me a little while to get used to it, but now it works pretty well.  The double air button does have the advantage of allowing you to spill a lot of air quickly when you want to.
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

911377brian

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2018, 11:40:57 AM »

Strange, isn’t it the way we handle the variety of air buttons. I’ve moves so many boxes on because I disliked the way they work, even got Rees to convert my brand new Albrecht one row from push in to press down. I was very happy with the spoon system on my 114’s and found the long bar on my Koch really handy....and now that I am reduced to only playing my Honorised toy boxes am probably the only person in the world happy with the air button, activated by the little finger...... ???

triskel

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2018, 04:32:07 PM »

....and now that I am reduced to only playing my Honorised toy boxes am probably the only person in the world happy with the air button, activated by the little finger...... ???

It's the same for anybody who actually plays on any of the 19th-century French accordions/flutinas Brian, though complicated by having to grip the socle frame on the bass end between the thumb and the other three (stronger) fingers (seeing that you've no bass-end hand strap) and you've still got two bass buttons to manage as well... :o

I've been doing it since the early '70s, so it's second nature to me, but others find it impossible! ;)

Andrius

• Regular debater
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2018, 07:51:21 PM »

I like long air bar, no problems with it
Koch Bb/Eb 12b 3v : Koch A/D 8b 2v : Koch C/F 12b 2v : Hohner Erica C/F 8b 2v : Hohner Erika C/F 2.4 row 8b 2v : Hohner early pre-Corona F/Bb/Eb 12b 2v: Hohner Liliput 2.4 row Bb/Eb 8b 2v : Hohner Club III BS C/F 2.7 row 8b 3v : Galotta D/G 8b 2v : Meinel & Herold G/C/F 16b 2v : Unkn G/C 8b 2v : Petersburg accordion F/Bb/Eb 16b 3v: Petersburg accordion G/C/F 16b 2v : Bandoneon Alfred Arnold 128 tone 2v : Bandoneon Wilhelm König 144 tone 2 v
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal