Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: harmonica  (Read 11025 times)

ACE

harmonica
« on: March 13, 2011, 09:32:01 AM »

Years ago somebody turned up at a folk club with a multi keyed gob box. I don't know how many mouth pieces it had, seemed to be 5 or 6, but they were long, 2 octave I expect. Does anybody know who made them, (probably honer) and are they still in production. I know a chromatic will do the job, but I am so slow on one of those and and by the time I recognise the key search the bag, find the right one with my collection, the tune is usually over.
Saltarelle Horizon, Dino mini, Lachenal g/d anglo

HallelujahAl

Re: harmonica
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 10:08:50 AM »

They're often on a wheel and are usually tremolo's in my experience. Here's a link to one:
Hohner Sextet
Regards
AL

ACE

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 11:27:04 AM »

Hmmn. a bit rich in price, but that is the one thanks. Might get a bunch of cheapies and make my own.

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 01:02:57 PM »

They're often on a wheel and are usually tremolo's in my experience. Here's a link to one:
Hohner Sextet
Regards
AL
Speaking of harmonicas, that website has what must be the bargain of the century (OK, we're only at 2011) - the Hohner Highlander D/A (bagpipe tuned) tremolo for only £29.99. That's less than half what I paid for one from an early batch, direct from the developer, Donald Black. I've seen them advertised at >£80. (Mind, Victor Morris has it at £39.99, so maybe everybody who wants to play pipe tunes on the moothie now has one.)

HallelujahAl

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 01:28:11 PM »

Ay Bill that's very true - I keep thinking I really must get one before the price goes back up!
AL

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 02:29:03 PM »

Don't wait! I suspect "while stocks last" means they're not going to get any more in, either because they're not selling, or maybe Hohner is going to discontinue this model.

george garside

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 03:22:15 PM »

Hohner Sextet
Regards
AL

no need to buy one of these unless you want to play in all 6 keys  fitted to the thing.  The late Will ATkinson of Border Shepherds fame   played  exeptionally well holding 3 different keyed mouthies at the same time & neetly swapping them around to suit key changes as required.  The one he was playing was obviously  horizontal       & held with the tips of fingrs on both hands, the other two were held more or less in the palm of the hands and dangled down vertically, the apropriate one being swung up to the vertical when required. Quite fascinating to watch. As far as I can remember they were made by yamaha & imported specially.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 10:57:35 PM »

I seem to remember seeing duple irons which had two sets of reeds, one on either side. I think it was a Hohner, but I'm not certain.  :'( Does anybody else know of these?
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 11:19:01 PM »

Hohner Echo is double sided.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 03:06:47 AM »

Why did Hohner have to double up names for melodeon/accordion and harmonica? :(
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

HallelujahAl

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 07:01:21 AM »

I seem to remember seeing duple irons which had two sets of reeds, one on either side. I think it was a Hohner, but I'm not certain.   Does anybody else know of these?   
Like this one just ordered this morning as per Bill's sage advice!
 ;D
AL

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 09:30:19 AM »

I seem to remember seeing duple irons which had two sets of reeds, one on either side. I think it was a Hohner, but I'm not certain.   Does anybody else know of these?   
Like this one just ordered this morning as per Bill's sage advice!
 ;D
AL
Smart move, that man!

george garside

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 07:07:21 PM »

I  have just made same smart move!

george ;)
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

oggiesnr

• Dino BPII, Alfred Arnold Bandoneon, Loffet G/C
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 08:10:33 PM »

I  have just made same smart move!

george ;)

..and I  (:)

Steve

HallelujahAl

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 08:47:38 PM »

Wonder how long the price will be held at £29.99 for?
 ;)

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 10:55:07 PM »

ACE, before playing melodeon I played lead on mouthorgan with some wizzy amp work to make it sound big.  I only ever had the two mouthies needed for the set in my hand at any given time.  In reality G,D & A covered it.  I did have double sided ones but it took too long to turn them and the rhythm stuttered.  Swapping was instant and seamless.
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

ACE

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 06:58:45 AM »

ACE, before playing melodeon I played lead on mouthorgan with some wizzy amp work to make it sound big.  I only ever had the two mouthies needed for the set in my hand at any given time.  In reality G,D & A covered it.  I did have double sided ones but it took too long to turn them and the rhythm stuttered.  Swapping was instant and seamless.

Perfect if you are only playing the harp, but I play the melodeon mostly and just pick up the gob irons if somebody is singing at sessions. A colour coded wheel will at least get me in into the tune before the first chorus. Instead of rooting around in my bag of tambourines, shaky eggs, triangles, gazoos, spoons, bones, jews harp and tipper for the bodhran.

Ace the percussion pest coming to a session near you soon. ;D

HallelujahAl

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011, 07:50:30 AM »

In reality G,D & A covered it.
I think for most folkie type sessions that's very true - though a C harp is also useful. I've sometimes played with two diatonics in my hands, switching for key changes etc. Am looking forward to trying out my new double-sided tremolo to see how that compares.
AL

Guy

• Not quite enough melodeons....
    • Cats Claw
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 08:58:39 AM »

Wonder how long the price will be held at £29.99 for?
 ;)

Still at that price, so I've placed my order too. By the way, those multi-sided harmonicas have often popped up new on eBay. They're cheaper varieties there, not the Hohner ones. I took a punt on a 6-sided one which cost around £30, and it's been fine for occasional use, and a great talking point, as no-one's ever seen one before!
I did one gig with that, the Streb, my Giordy,a Dobro and the vibrandoneon just on the grounds that no-one would have seen all of these in one place before. The band weren't too chuffed, until I pointed out that I could spend a fair bit of the evening doing "Show and Tell" whilst they repaired to the bar. They didn't complain after that, oddly....

Cheers,
Guy
Guy, in South Wales

Cats Claw, http://www.cats-claw.co.uk

Graeme

• Regular debater
  • BCC#, BC, moothie & steering wheel
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2011, 05:16:12 PM »

I  have just made same smart move!

george ;)

..and I  (:)

Me too! Thanks for the nod Bill!

Graeme
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal