Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: wax spoon  (Read 3397 times)

mikesamwild

• Melodeon, Button Accordion, Anglo Concertina
wax spoon
« on: June 30, 2008, 09:50:16 AM »

If you need a nice beeswax spoon  try boscaceoil off this forum. I bought it on eBay, excellent tool, before I was using a small artist's paint brush or one I made out of brass fibres from a suede brush!
Mike in Sheffield

If music be the food of love -who finds the time?

an bosca ceoil

• Respected Sage
Re: wax spoon
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 05:59:10 PM »

OH NO YOU DID NOT!!
 You bought it off an-bosca-ceoil.
 ("boscaceoil " and "anboscadoir" are across the water)
Glad you must be getting on OK with the gadget!
Regards,Bruce

mikesamwild

• Melodeon, Button Accordion, Anglo Concertina
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 11:18:15 AM »

Abject apologies I must learn Gaelic I assume it means music box
Anyway its a grear lttle tool , I've decided to use it for waxing reed plates rather than scooping out ear wax which is what I thought I was buying! Thanks
Mike
Mike in Sheffield

If music be the food of love -who finds the time?

an bosca ceoil

• Respected Sage
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 09:09:31 PM »

Bit like the National Servicemen who thought razor blades had been invented for shaving with - then found out they were really for scraping barrack-room floor boards?
Regards, Bruce

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 08:26:33 AM »

Was the wax spoon just a one off then Bruce or will you have more for sale in the future?

Pete.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 04:49:44 PM »

Having obtained one of the aforementioned wax spoons from the member formerly known as an-bosca-ceoil (now Shy Talk - I wonder if that's the Great Egyptian variety?), I can only echo Mike's sentiments regarding the ease of use with this well thought out design. I'd never waxed a reed in before today and it worked like a charm first time for me. If you've ever fancied a go at waxing, this is the tool to do the job.  :)
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

an bosca ceoil

• Respected Sage
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 10:47:29 PM »

Glad to see from your rebuild report that the trepidations about the waxing were unfounded!
You probably found out in the process that the problem of the narrow partition can be overcome by waxing one edge of the first reed onto just the comparatively wide section of the block and then holding the thing  almost vertical, keeping the reed flat with one thumb.
That way you have a sort of "valley" formed by the edge of the reedplate and the top of the partition to place a thin run of wax. The next plate is dropped on before that sets and the process repeated. You need very little wax and only need to do both sides when you get to the last one.
Incidentally, those plates should originally have been pinned at either end of the block and at the end of each partition.
Regards,
Bruce
I will have to have a rethink about that Username, it just seemed punny at the time.   ::)

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 11:29:10 PM »

You probably found out in the process that the problem of the narrow partition can be overcome by waxing one edge of the first reed onto just the comparatively wide section of the block and then holding the thing  almost vertical, keeping the reed flat with one thumb.
That way you have a sort of "valley" formed by the edge of the reedplate and the top of the partition to place a thin run of wax. The next plate is dropped on before that sets and the process repeated. You need very little wax and only need to do both sides when you get to the last one.
It took me a short time to figure out, just have the courage of your convictions, hold the thing almost vertical as you described, to let the wax run then bang in the reed plate before the wax has time to set too much and Robert's your mother's brother.
I will have to have a rethink about that Username, it just seemed punny at the time.   ::)
Was that phunny, puny or what?  :P  ;D
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal