Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Saying hi...  (Read 5557 times)

Spimbly

Saying hi...
« on: June 30, 2008, 03:53:27 PM »

Hi there,

After a while of forum lurking trying to muster up the courage to inflict a melodeon on my credit card I thought I'd say hi - I'm new to playing (still waiting for shiny new pokerwork to knock a mammoth sized hole  in the letterbox as we speak!)

Anyway, so....hi!

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Re: Saying hi...
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 05:12:43 PM »

Nick Hudis

• Respected Sage
  • Loffet Pro 18, Castagnari Casta
    • Themassageman
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 07:09:18 PM »

Welcome!

I took up the melodeon last January, and joinging the forum was one of the best things I've done.  There's some great guys posting and its a really friendly and supportive forum.  Don't be afraid to ask questions you'll get good replies and make a few friends.
Nick

Ellie

• Saltarelle Pastourelle II
    • Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 12:43:21 PM »

Hello and welcome! :) Takes a while to take the plunge, doesn't it? I lost all resistance earlier this year, and haven't once regretted it ;D

george garside

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 02:26:59 PM »

I will be doing  a beginners course of 5 workshops at WHitby Folk Week  16th aug if this is of any help.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Ancient Muse

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 08:37:59 AM »

I have also taken the plunge and am picking up my brand new Hohner Pokerwork on Saturday, but am a complete total beginner (only instrument experience piano to Grade 5, violin in school orchestra - more years ago than I care to mention! - and strumming along on guitar for the Guides to sing) so I will need lots of help and guidance from wherever I can get it - may be able to go on the odd weekend, but am mostly booked up for this summer.

I have been wanting to learn to play a squeezebox for about twenty years now, and thought it was time I tried before arthritis sets in and my fingers give up the ghost!

All help and advice gratefully accepted, as I work my way throught this forum ...  ;D

Ellie

• Saltarelle Pastourelle II
    • Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 08:54:03 AM »

Hi Muse - welcome over here! Glad to see you finally made it... :)

GuyWyatt

• Respected Sage
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 01:52:44 PM »

Further to George's reference to his five day beginners course at Whitby that was my start on the melodeon and it was a first class course. Well worth the trip to Whitby.

Ancient Muse

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 01:56:19 PM »

Ooh, Whitby is a lovely place, but such a long way from here ... will have to save my pennies!

::)

Spimbly

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 02:29:53 PM »

Much as I'd love to go to Whitby I'm going to a wedding on exactly the same day...thankfully not my own, though!

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 02:33:30 PM »

Whitby is a "folk week"  Saturday to Friday, so you don't have an excuse, and you can go to the wedding too!
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Lin Leighton

• Regular debater
  • Castagnari Tommy/ Dino Baffetti BP
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 12:55:01 PM »

Hi to all
just to add my few pennyworth regarding Georges Whitby course - that helped me enormously too, and George is a great guy - so i WOULD LIKE TO ENCOURAGE YOU TO SIGN UP FOR THE COURSE!!!
Lin 8)
Lin(Rattlejag Morris)

C age ing

• Respected Sage
  • New fangled melodeon?
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 06:11:18 PM »

Greetings Spimby.
Do be careful of some people on this board. They invent bogus people called Georges Whitby, it is some kind of Nigerian scam. :) Others con you into preparing and setting all their Morris side's music and then have the gall to criticise your faultless transposition. How was I to know they wanted a detailed place your finger here and push or pull for every note? ;D
Enjoy, nice bunch of people although sadly not many of them play saxophone as well as box.
My Erika is as old as me. Luckily, it is not as decrepit.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 08:56:14 PM »

His full name is actually Georges Whitby Ducourse, though this is believed to be a pseudonym for a certain Mr Garside, who is trying to persuade Nigerian Princesses to pay thousands of pounds for a non-existent box course. In actuality, of course, he will be teaching ignorant box owners like me how to play the D/G diatonic accordion. Lin recommends it - join us!

;)
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 08:16:21 PM »

Ah yes, Garside, amazing bloke, he can spend a whole week teaching at Whitby without the crap.
Considering the amount of ale consumed and the high probability of several late night curries this is some feat!  ;)
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2008, 10:56:29 PM »

Have we persuaded Spimbly to join us there yet?
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Spimbly

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2008, 11:44:00 AM »

Ah tempting as it is, there's no money for travel, no time off work to take, and of course, New Person Terror  ;)

Maybe next year, eh...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal