Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Incident at Whitby  (Read 3694 times)

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
Incident at Whitby
« on: March 18, 2011, 12:07:42 PM »

A few years ago, during festival week at Whitby; a melodeon player was walking back from a session in a pub near the steps to the old abbey.
As he passed a shop selling all sorts of bric-a-brac, he looked in the window and saw a little brass mouse. Well wanting to take something back as a keepsake of his time in Whitby - he popped in to the shop and  enquired about the little mouse.

Anyway - having looked at the object he parted with £5.35, popped it in his pocket and wandered off to meet up with his morris side at the bandstand on the other side of the river.

As he was walking, not more than 100 yards from the shop - he was aware of a pitter-patter noise from behind. He turned his head and saw around fifteen rodents following him. He didn't think much about it, but quickened his pace a little.

As he got closer and closer to the river he realised that there were now a considerable number of mice / rats in persuit. They were coming from alleyways, from houses, out of gardens - everywhere as they tried to follow him....

He finally reached the swing bridge over the river and realised it must be something to do with the little brass mouse he'd purchased five minutes earlier. So with presence of mind - he took the brass mouse out of his pocket and tossed it into the waters below.

He watched in amazement as all the rodents followed the little brass mouse over the side of the bridge and into the water and they drowned.

The melodeonist was so intrigued by this strange event that he went back to tell the shopkeeper what had happened...

The shopkeeper was shocked by the story and full of apologies and offered a full re-fund of the £5.35....

Our melodeon player friend would have nothing of any apology or re-fund, but just asked - 'Do you have any brass banjo players'...

;)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 01:04:03 PM by Almo2504 »
ISIS Melodeon, Hohner Erica,  Fender Strat Plus, Takamine, Hofner Violin Bass, Hohner CX12 Harmonica, etc.... Website: https://folk-music.uk

TomB-R

Re: Incident at Whitby
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 01:50:33 PM »

How very strange, this was recently posted on banjo.net

"A  few years ago, during festival week at Whitby; a banjo player was walking back from a session in a pub near the steps to the old abbey.
As he passed a shop selling all sorts of bric-a-brac, he looked in the window and saw a little brass mouse. Well wanting to take something back as a keepsake of his time in Whitby - he popped in to the shop and  enquired about the little mouse.

Anyway - having looked at the object he parted with £5.35, popped it in his pocket and wandered off to meet up with his Border morris side at the bandstand on the other side of the river.

As he was walking, not more than 100 yards from the shop - he was aware of a pitter-patter noise from behind. He turned his head and saw around fifteen rodents following him. He didn't think much about it, but quickened his pace a little.

As he got closer and closer to the river he realised that there were now a considerable number of mice / rats in persuit. They were coming from alleyways, from houses, out of gardens - everywhere as they tried to follow him....

He finally reached the swing bridge over the river and realised it must be something to do with the little brass mouse he'd purchased five minutes earlier. So with presence of mind - he took the brass mouse out of his pocket and tossed it into the waters below.

He watched in amazement as all the rodents followed the little brass mouse over the side of the bridge and into the water and they drowned.

The banjoist was so intrigued by this strange event that he went back to tell the shopkeeper what had happened...

The shopkeeper was shocked by the story and full of apologies and offered a full re-fund of the £5.35....

Our banjo player friend would have nothing of any apology or re-fund, but just asked - 'Do you have any brass melodeon players'..."

;D  ;D  ;D

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 01:52:50 PM »

Sounds like a Troll post to me....

Kautilya

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 03:04:02 PM »

That's what mice do (or Uke players? >:E) They multiply v quickly!

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 03:08:51 PM »

Na Ladydetempts - You're confused - Goths at Whitby not Trolls, and it's not a rickity rackity bridge either.....

Let me guess - you are a banjo player Tom....right !  It's ok, cos I typed this slowly as I know banjo players don't read very fast... ::)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 03:11:25 PM by Almo2504 »
ISIS Melodeon, Hohner Erica,  Fender Strat Plus, Takamine, Hofner Violin Bass, Hohner CX12 Harmonica, etc.... Website: https://folk-music.uk

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 03:10:52 PM »

Na Ladydetempts - You're confused - Goths at Whitby not Trolls, and it's not a rickity rackity bridge either.....

Let me guess - you are a banjo player
nope. but they do look fun.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 03:30:59 PM »

aulophobia, is a fear of flutes....but I can't find a word for banjos...or bohdrans either?

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 04:17:08 PM »

aulophobia, is a fear of flutes....but I can't find a word for banjos...or bohdrans either?

It's the same phrase for both; it's called "having an ear for music". Presumably, one ear fears banjos and the other fears bohdrans.   >:E
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 04:18:55 PM »

Which shop was it please?
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 04:19:27 PM »

Melophobia is the fear of music.

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 04:44:17 PM »

I can suggest several words for banjos.............. ;D
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 08:24:55 PM »

Goody! Every couple of years or so I get the chance to post the link to this list of banjo jokes.

strad

• Respected Sage
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 11:05:04 PM »

Bill

If you don't find some new jokes, people will start thinking you're an ex-banjo player!

Nigel

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 11:27:41 PM »

Many years ago I did, briefly, own a banjo. My attempts at playing it were a joke.

Just4Fun

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2011, 01:10:30 AM »

Best way to stop your fiddle being stolen.......
Put it in a banjo case.

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2011, 12:18:42 PM »

I told that "banjo" joke to a banjo player last night, and he laughed out loud, saying it was the best he'd heard for a long time.  Didn't stop him playing the banjo though >:( >:(
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2011, 12:27:57 PM »

I told that "banjo" joke to a banjo player last night, and he laughed out loud, saying it was the best he'd heard for a long time.  Didn't stop him playing the banjo though >:( >:(

Try telling it to a drummer - you'd have to explain the punch line.... ::)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal