Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying a new mic out - on a song...no melodeon  (Read 1350 times)

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
Trying a new mic out - on a song...no melodeon
« on: March 23, 2011, 05:22:56 PM »

I bought a USB condenser microphone yesterday - and wanted to try it out, so I recorded a song.

I know there is no melodeon in there - but I wanted to keep things as simple as I could - no midi / no double tracking..

Streets of London - RalphMcTell cover

http://www.myspace.com/alanmorleys/music/songs/Streets-of-London-Ralph-McTell-cover-80751914

Sorry there's no melodeon, but at least I know what the mic sonds like... :|bl

Alan
ISIS Melodeon, Hohner Erica,  Fender Strat Plus, Takamine, Hofner Violin Bass, Hohner CX12 Harmonica, etc.... Website: https://folk-music.uk

Kautilya

Re: Trying a new mic out - on a song...no melodeon
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 10:52:42 PM »

I bought a USB condenser microphone yesterday - and wanted to try it out, so I recorded a song.

I know there is no melodeon in there - but I wanted to keep things as simple as I could - no midi / no double tracking..

Streets of London - RalphMcTell cover

http://www.myspace.com/alanmorleys/music/songs/Streets-of-London-Ralph-McTell-cover-80751914

Sorry there's no melodeon, but at least I know what the mic sonds like... :|bl

Alan

Most enjoyable. Tie-clip? Perhaps a shade nearer your voice (or further away from guitar) which sometimes pushes your voice out. I am part of the camp which believes the words and the conviction in the voice should be dominant and the instrumental supporting underneath.
Can you now do an "LDT overlay" with some light Melodeon chords? Well done.  (:) (:)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 06:52:46 AM »

Sounded a tad 'thin' here in comparison to your other offerings. btw that 'adieu' was lovely. It took me right back to the Douaumont ossuary   :'(
  _       _    _      _ 

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 07:59:48 AM »

Most enjoyable. Tie-clip? Perhaps a shade nearer your voice (or further away from guitar) which sometimes pushes your voice out. I am part of the camp which believes the words and the conviction in the voice should be dominant and the instrumental supporting underneath.
Can you now do an "LDT overlay" with some light Melodeon chords? Well done.  (:) (:)

The mic is a USB 'Podcast' Condenser - I wanted to try one instead of using dynamic microphones. Condenser mics are supposed to have a better frequency response - so I did a direct comparison between this one at £90 and the Maplin dynamic one at £40 I have been using.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400162773378&category=15198&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

There is a slight difference in the sound quality, and the condenser mic seems to capture a small amount of top and bottom more than the cheaper mic. However -I'm not sure it's really worth the extra money (yet)..Both mics perform better - the closer you get to them, which is ok for me as I don't have a powerful voice. Recording melodeon is therefore more difficult as you are usually further away from the microphone.

Just as a test for the mic - I used it to record the guitar separately from the vocal - so they are on two separate tracks and can be manipulated. I normally plug my Takamine guitar straight into the laptop via a USB guitar lead, but for the sake of testing the mic I didnt do that on this occasion.

Lots of things affect the final sound you hear over a computer too.

The file on MySpace is an mp3 - I also have the test done as .wav format which is better quality. MySpace tends to effect the sound of mp3 fils too with a slight downgrading.

Computer speakers aren't usually good enough quality to bring out bass and top end of sounds, my laptop speakers are only about 20mm diameter for example. I have some Logitech speakers on my desktop atm, bur they still struggle with the bass. I also have some Cambridge SoundWorks 5.1 surround sound with a bass woofer - and they are 'the business' - almost like a home hi-fi system.

A good pair of headphones is as good investment as you can hear the stereo placement of the sound better.
I use phones when I mix the sound balance and tweak the frequencies, but can only go on my own sence of hearing - which is odd because I have tinitus in both ears - so the world has a constant high pitched whistle to me. Too many years playing in loud pub bands... ::)

I didn't put any melodeon in there, as I wanted to keep things simple to hear how the sound of the guitar and voice had recorded.

Thank all for comments, everything is appreciated and taken on board. If anyone eles who is into recording has ideas and suggestions please share your techniques for better recordings, and equipment that you find worked well for you.

Thanks all

Alan
ISIS Melodeon, Hohner Erica,  Fender Strat Plus, Takamine, Hofner Violin Bass, Hohner CX12 Harmonica, etc.... Website: https://folk-music.uk

Kautilya

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 11:58:27 AM »

The mic is a USB 'Podcast' Condenser - I wanted to try one instead of using dynamic microphones. Condenser mics are supposed to have a better frequency response - so I did a direct comparison between this one at £90 and the Maplin dynamic one at £40 I have been using.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400162773378&category=15198&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

There is a slight difference in the sound quality, and the condenser mic seems to capture a small amount of top and bottom more than the cheaper mic. However -I'm not sure it's really worth the extra money (yet)..Both mics perform better - the closer you get to them, which is ok for me as I don't have a powerful voice. Recording melodeon is therefore more difficult as you are usually further away from the microphone.

Just as a test for the mic - I used it to record the guitar separately from the vocal - so they are on two separate tracks and can be manipulated. I normally plug my Takamine guitar straight into the laptop via a USB guitar lead, but for the sake of testing the mic I didnt do that on this occasion.

Lots of things affect the final sound you hear over a computer too.

The file on MySpace is an mp3 - I also have the test done as .wav format which is better quality. MySpace tends to effect the sound of mp3 fils too with a slight downgrading.

Computer speakers aren't usually good enough quality to bring out bass and top end of sounds, my laptop speakers are only about 20mm diameter for example. I have some Logitech speakers on my desktop atm, bur they still struggle with the bass. I also have some Cambridge SoundWorks 5.1 surround sound with a bass woofer - and they are 'the business' - almost like a home hi-fi system.

A good pair of headphones is as good investment as you can hear the stereo placement of the sound better.
I use phones when I mix the sound balance and tweak the frequencies, but can only go on my own sence of hearing - which is odd because I have tinitus in both ears - so the world has a constant high pitched whistle to me. Too many years playing in loud pub bands... ::)

I didn't put any melodeon in there, as I wanted to keep things simple to hear how the sound of the guitar and voice had recorded.

Thank all for comments, everything is appreciated and taken on board. If anyone eles who is into recording has ideas and suggestions please share your techniques for better recordings, and equipment that you find worked well for you.

Thanks all

Alan
useful info! Tks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal