Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Introduction?  (Read 997 times)

offthewall

• fraserology
Introduction?
« on: March 30, 2011, 09:38:50 PM »

First post  :Ph

Most other forums that I have used tend to have a section for introductions. Can't seem to find one here ... so if I'm in the wrong place just kick me out  :-X

Straight off ... not a melodeon player and won't be. I tried a couple of times but two things stopped me. Arthritis being one, and the wifes ears being the other. It was .. either that box goes or I go, and after 36 years it had to be the box.
Been an 'on and off' musician for nearly 5 decades. Did a lot of folk music in the late 60's/early 70's culminating in a couple of seasons at Sidmouth festival. Retired from public playing in '74 but came back to music about 10 years ago. Everything I do now is home based with my mini-studio and internet collaborations.
I am chiefly into stringed instruments (guitars/mandolin/bouzouki) and penny whistle, but my BIG failing, now that I'm retired, is dredging round antique fairs/ car boot sales/ flea markets looking for musical instruments that I can rescue and revive. I have worked on many guitars but have also had a couple of 'boxes' through my hands.
The first box I picked up was a 1920's 'William Hannah' thing.
I messed on for a very long time trying to restore it. There were so many fiddly little springs to make that I eventually gave up and sold it on for no profit at all.
I have, since then, had a couple of boxes which I have saved and sent on to those who could give them a good home.

I tell you these tales to convince you that I am not just here for commercial purposes.
I have been a 'lurker' on these boards for some time now and am getting to be quite fascinated with these instruments. I have learned a lot from watching the members here and thought it about time that I joined your community up front, even though I know that I won't be able to use the boxes.
I am now starting to go through the tunes section to see what I can pick up and translate to 'my' instruments (in the best possible taste, of course).

So, this is who I am.
I shall now go over to 'buy and sell' to see if I can pass on my latest 'saved from oblivion' piece.  8)
Thanks for listening.
 ;)
James
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal