Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Attachments  (Read 3083 times)

strad

• Respected Sage
Attachments
« on: March 30, 2011, 10:01:09 PM »

I had an email from a member and when I replied I couldn't work out how to attach a file to the reply.
I got round it by including an ABC file instead. How should I go about e.g. attaching a .doc file to a reply
when replying within the forum? Or have I had a senior moment and not seen the obvious?

Nigel

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
Re: Attachments
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 10:06:20 PM »

I had an email from a member and when I replied I couldn't work out how to attach a file to the reply.
I got round it by including an ABC file instead. How should I go about e.g. attaching a .doc file to a reply
when replying within the forum? Or have I had a senior moment and not seen the obvious?

Nigel

Hi Nigel,
Immediately under the box you type your reply in, there is a bit saying "+ Additional Options..." Click on that, and you'll see the Attach box for your path/file name, including an option to browse for the file on your computer.
Bill

Chris Brimley

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 12:46:53 PM »

Clive/Theo, I'd quite like to be able to attach Musescore .mscz files in the original (non-pdf) format, which would allow other users to modify them for their own wishes, and also allow them to play them back in midi.  Is this a possibility?  I can see that there may be protocol security and copyright issues with this suggestion, but what do you think?

Also, while I'm on, I've noticed more generally that if you upload an attachment which won't work for a technical reason, it's quite difficult to post a corrected reply subsequently - the Forum tells you incorrectly that you've already posted it,  The only way is then to come out of the forum, and re-submit later.  However that makes it difficult, because if you want to put the same text in the reply, you have to find a different way of copying it and storing it - there's no facility for keeping draft responses.

Any comments?

strad

• Respected Sage
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 01:01:35 PM »

The attachments box isn't there if you go via the melodeon.net link in the email saying I have a new message.

Nigel

Life can be complicated!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 01:03:15 PM by strad »

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 01:59:56 PM »

Clive/Theo, I'd quite like to be able to attach Musescore .mscz files in the original (non-pdf) format, which would allow other users to modify them for their own wishes, and also allow them to play them back in midi.  Is this a possibility?  I can see that there may be protocol security and copyright issues with this suggestion, but what do you think?

Also, while I'm on, I've noticed more generally that if you upload an attachment which won't work for a technical reason, it's quite difficult to post a corrected reply subsequently - the Forum tells you incorrectly that you've already posted it,  The only way is then to come out of the forum, and re-submit later.  However that makes it difficult, because if you want to put the same text in the reply, you have to find a different way of copying it and storing it - there's no facility for keeping draft responses.

Any comments?

I've added the mscz type to the list of allowed attachments. I *think* attachments are all saved in one whacking big directory in smf; hardly an ideal implementation, but there you go. As a result, you may find it more successful if you rename the attachment when you upload it the second time.

Cheers,

Clive

Chris Brimley

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 02:09:47 PM »

Thanks Clive, I'll give it a whirl!

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 05:04:47 PM »

The attachments box isn't there if you go via the melodeon.net link in the email saying I have a new message.

Nigel

Life can be complicated!
Nigel, I didn't notice the bit about email in your original post. I presume then that you're using the Personal Message system of melodeon.net. You can't do attachments using the PM system, only with a regular post. Your only real option is to ask the guy for an email address and send a normal email attachment.
Bill

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 07:44:24 PM »

You do not need to ask another member for an email,  they are all available to other members.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 08:36:20 PM »

You do not need to ask another member for an email,  they are all available to other members.
How? Most members have email listed as "hidden" on their profiles. It may be different for administrators.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 08:43:27 PM »

How? Most members have email listed as "hidden" on their profiles. It may be different for administrators.

Ah, I was not aware of that.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal