Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for April 2011 - La Roulante / The LNB Polka  (Read 33374 times)

NeilA

• Regular debater
  • Nuage C#D, Yvus Pyrenees DG, Hohner Preciosa EbBb,
    • youtube channel
Re: Tune of the Month for April 2011 - La Roulante / The LNB Polka
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2011, 09:50:46 AM »

La Roulante is a (bag)pipe tune and it should be played in G on a GC (or A on an AD) melodeon, IMHO.

Can you explain, please?

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2011, 10:02:44 AM »

La Roulante is a (bag)pipe tune and it should be played in G on a GC (or A on an AD) melodeon, IMHO.

A bit prescriptive, don't you think. While G/C melodeon's are common on the continent, they are very much in the minority in England, where D/G melodeons are the most common. Surely, you are not suggesting that anyone who does not have a G/C box should not play La Roulante. The whole essence of the kind of music we play is that there are no rules (or very few) and that we adapt the tunes to suit our instruments and ourselves.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

folkbluesnbeyond

• Respected Sage
    • Folkbluesnbeyond

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKlfuI7Xllk

a couple of wobbles but quick & dirty. Sagacious HO's engender respect (without explanation?)

(No thread drift please).

All the best

Bill

PS I agree with Bob, and stand by my first post, although I do like the tonality of the keys in this post, (and found a different bass run).
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 10:39:27 AM by folkbluesnbeyond »

Sandy Flett

• Accordion and Melodeon Blog
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2011, 12:40:22 PM »

and courtesy of Anahata,

http://ethelscats.co.uk/mp3/04LNB.mp3 (1st tune)

Anahata - after listening to your lovely playing on this recording I have decided I must get along to see you at Guildford Institute Folk Club on 15 April. What is the name of the second tune on the recording?
DG Dino Baffetti Carnival II (plus accordions)
Accordion and Melodeon blog

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2011, 01:14:43 PM »

It's The Dark Girl Dressed in Blue, as featured in tune of the month in January this year.

Thanks for the plug! I look forward to meeting you - please come and introduce yourself!
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Howard Mitchell

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2011, 03:47:54 PM »

I would normally play this tune in D on a G/D melodeon, in the lower octave.
So here it is on a G/C melodeon in G, played in the upper octave.  Had to re-programme my fingers entirely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGB848i1FoY

Howard

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2011, 06:30:46 PM »

It's immaterial to me what key it 'should' be in - I've only got a D/G! Here's a pretty straightforward version. La Roulante/LNB

Simon

• Respected Sage
  • Serenellini Selli C/F and Gold98 G/C
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2011, 06:43:01 PM »

I don't like polka's that much, so here's my first (and rather sloppy) attempt at La Roulante à cinq temps (mp3).

Susanne

• Respected Sage
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2011, 06:51:19 PM »

Very interesting!! What's wrong with polkas, if you don't mind me asking? I don't think your playing is sloppy at all, it sounds good!

For once, it seems I'm able to learn this tune (and it's only the 3rd of this month yet, I'm impressed!), but could someone please help me with the chords? Either in G on the G/C box or D on the D/G box. I can't find one single chord that fits when I go to the inner row (3rd note, pull). Haven't checked the ABC file yet though, maybe there are chords there (but usually not)?

Simon

• Respected Sage
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2011, 07:22:22 PM »

Very interesting!! What's wrong with polkas, if you don't mind me asking? I don't think your playing is sloppy at all, it sounds good!
Thanks! There's probably nothing wrong with polkas, just with me. It reminds me too much of bouncing people or of the Bayern style polka music which I'm not too fond of. Of course there's plenty of nice polkas but somehow I don't like playing too many polka stuff. The harmonics part has lots of unintended keypresses, but I'm glad you didn't notice  ;)

Susanne

• Respected Sage
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2011, 09:49:08 PM »

;D Hahaha, I know what you mean with the Bayern style.... I had an overdose of polkas when I lived in Ireland (West Cork = polka land) but mainly because I played the bouzouki and polkas are NO fun to pay on the zouk. I love playing them on the box though:)

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2011, 12:10:34 AM »

Could someone please help me with the chords? Either in G on the G/C box or D on the D/G box. I can't find one single chord that fits when I go to the inner row (3rd note, pull). Haven't checked the ABC file yet though, maybe there are chords there (but usually not)?

The way I play it (in D on a D/G box), the whole of the A music is placed against the D/A basses except the second half of bars 1,2, 5 and 6, which are played against Em basses. For the B music, I use Em basses against the whole of bars 1,2, 5 and 6 (except for the last beat of bar 6, which requires a reversal to a Bm chord) and I use D/A basses against bars 3,4, 7 and 8.

I am sure there are more imaginative bass accompaniments that can be devised, but this works for me. If the explanation is not sufficiently clear, let me know and I will post the musical score of my interpretation.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2011, 12:16:56 AM »

Should be a C major (when playing in D), surely for that note? The tune is in mix after all...
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2011, 12:35:37 AM »

Should be a C major (when playing in D), surely for that note? The tune is in mix after all...

You would think so, wouldn't you? But on both the boxes on which I play it, the E minor sounds better (more understated) to my ear than the somewhat strident C major. Perhaps I should see about having my ears retuned!

Simon

• Respected Sage
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2011, 07:58:25 AM »

could someone please help me with the chords?
Here's mine for a C/F box:
Code: [Select]
|: C / Bb / | C / F / | C F G / | C / G /  | C / Bb / | C / F / | C F G / | C G C / :|
|: Dm / / / | Dm / / / | C / / / | C / / / | Dm / / / | Dm / / / | C F G / | C G C / :|

nemethmik

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2011, 08:38:51 AM »

So here it is on a G/C melodeon in G, played in the upper octave.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGB848i1FoY
Excellent! This the version I have been waiting for. Thank You.
What I meant in my earlier post is that, on a GC box, you can play this tune only in G because of the important F natural.
On a D/G melodeon, of course you can play either in D or in A. When you play in A on a DG, it would be a pipe-friendly version for sessions with Border or Small pipes. My comment was that a pipe tune is expected to be played in a pipe-friendly key.
If you have Irish pipers (with concert-pitch pipe sets) in your sessions they will play the tune in D, though.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 09:00:35 AM by Miklos Nemeth »

Simon

• Respected Sage
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2011, 09:43:05 AM »

What I meant in my earlier post is that, on a GC box, you can play this tune only in G because of the important F natural.
On a D/G melodeon, of course you can play either in D or in A.
I still don't understand this. If you can play it in A on a D/G you could also play it in D on a G/C.

nemethmik

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2011, 03:12:47 PM »

I still don't understand this. If you can play it in A on a D/G you could also play it in D on a G/C.
Oops, you are perfectly right (:) My primary goal was to convince someone to make a video on a GC in G, and the great Howard Mitchell made it!

Susanne

• Respected Sage
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2011, 03:59:17 PM »

Thanks a lot Bob and Simon! Will try those and see how it sounds! The B part shouldn't be too difficult, but I was in deep trouble with the A part.. :|||:

OwenG

• Respected Sage
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2011, 04:02:12 PM »

I was in deep trouble with the A part.. :|||:

Another option with the A part is to play a drone in D on a D/G (or G on a G/C etc). Takes a bit of thinking to do, but sounds quite bagpipey.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal