Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Stage d'août" (August course) in SE France  (Read 2573 times)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
"Stage d'août" (August course) in SE France
« on: April 10, 2011, 09:36:15 AM »

See http://www.mustradem.com/Formation/Doucy.html

Doucy-Combelouvière is a ski resort well up the East slope of the Isère and so an 'economically efficient' place to hold a summer course (stage d'été). 

The centre has large blocks of rooms with balconies  and stupendous views  I went in 2009 and the price looks unchanged at €550 all in for 6 nights including excellent cuisine. Basically your only extra is bar (wine au volontaire at meals - this being France).  There are walks and a nearby swimming pool for other halves - if that suits you.

Daytime it's classes - run by some of the class acts of Savoie accordionism (though Vincent Boniface was running a course in jazz bagpipes)! They concert and dance in the evenings. Norbert Pignol usually strikes up about 1am - I still have delicious memories of him opening up with Camille Passeri (trumpet) on the Thursday 8).  100% in French - an Italian lady with limited vocab did however manage OK in my group. A G/C box is much easier and I think essential for the level 1-2 courses as they are often about fingering. For perfectionnement they ask for "3 row  - again a G/C works better but I got by on the Oakwood D/G+C# three years ago. A 2½ row would work equally - it's about things like playing in G using the D, F or C scale notes. They also do some blues, or just "nice tunes" ...

I am thinking to drive down (its nearly in Italy!) and perhaps detouring to Belgium's famous Boombal festival on the way back. PM's welcome.  NB Doucy fills up fast!

to enlarge - Rt-click - view image
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 01:47:32 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Bobtheboat

• 'On the cut' near Lichfield, UK
Re: "Stage d'août" (August course) in SE France 21-27 Aug 2011
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 08:47:42 AM »

This course sounds great Chris. I might look at it next year if its an annual event.
This years out as I'm off to the back of beyond in Norway for a carving course that
that week and also my French would need some serious work!
'Rowbotham Erika Extraordinaire' (12 bass + stop G/C/acc), Hohner Liliput Bb-Eb. Castagnari Rik G/C/acc

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Re: "Stage d'août" (August course) in SE France 10-16 Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 01:45:34 PM »

This course is great for friends or couples playing different instruments - there are 15 parallel course, various instuments with one on song. Collegiate set-up, generally improvised dancing in the evenings. The  "August course" moved from the hills to Isère valley, St Ismier 2 years back; I haven't yet been to that venue. I got a flier in the post this morning giving this year's dates. Though the website hasn't been updated, it won't be all that different!  Mustradem are in a state of flux just now, but courses are managed by Mydriase, a legally different organisation.

All teaching is in French, generally sol-fa (though an English speaking Estonian managed OK last month)!
  Accordéon tutors are again Stéphane MILLERET, Norbert PIGNOL, Jean-Loup SACCHETTINI and Lucile BRISSET
  You'll want a GC doing accordéon levels 1 or 2. A  2½ or 3 row (any tuning so long as you cross row) for level 3.

Last year's blurb:  http://www.mustradem.com/Formation/saintismier.php

Accommodation generally shared rooms. €570 Food and wine with meals included.  They have also done 'accom only' in the past, AFAIR approx €350.   Application email is now "mydriasestage at  free dot fr" [usual close gaps, substitute '@'] NB the summer course always fills up fast!

[ed] Just found this photo show http://www.mustradem.com/Formation/legta2013/mediaslegta2013.htm of last year's event  :D
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 01:53:15 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Lyra

Re: "Stage d'août" (August course) in SE France
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 06:47:39 AM »

It's a fun do. There were a bunch of non-Frenchies when I was there and most of the teachers can actually explain something in English if you get stuck. We actually had an English speaking table at lunch a couple of days at the request of locals wanting a practice :)
Recommended.

3 403 errors later  :-\

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 07:53:38 AM »

I'd say that only one of the four accordéon tutors has much English. Down there Italy is only "over the hill" and that's what they learn at school. I suspect any 3rd language might be Spanish, but P&M both come from a maths background.

Situation is different at the impro course, which is music rather than instrument based. JP has excellent English and helped my son a lot. We all had fun translating stuff for the Estonian lady, but as Katheriin was good enough to sight read "transposing" clarinet off concert pitch scores, she was generally not far behind the tutor. :|glug
  _       _    _      _ 

Lyra

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 10:19:47 AM »

I think "technical vocab" they can often do - especially with pointing and waving, if you get really stuck. Ie, if you have enough French to think  "meh, I'll give it a go" then do - you will get support. If you have no French I think it would be rather hard work and communication by ear and eye rather than words. You do need to be fairly slick at do re mi to keep up, imho, however.

No idea if they can hold a convo as I didn't have the need. Likewise, many of the participants only have school English if that.
However, if you look at it as a music course with free immersion French training, or immersion French with free music it's v good value for money :)

Edit: It's not at Doucy this year but down in the valley again at the Lycée Horticole de Saint-Ismier, according to the small print.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 10:33:03 AM by Lyra »

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 06:57:39 PM »

A little "teaser" video has gone online, and well illustrates the feel of these courses

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QmyD0IvG5Zo
  _       _    _      _ 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal