Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Things that get in the way of practising or playing.  (Read 12062 times)

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
Re: Things that get in the way of practising or playing.
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2011, 05:30:49 PM »

Almo ..... along similar lines, with teenage daughters, I am wondering 'why we cut our garage in half ' ???
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

zippydw

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2011, 06:18:22 PM »

Most of life gets in the way. Let's see. Working a real job to pay for the time spent playing. The Church music job that has become pure drudgery but needs to hang around to pay bills once I retire if that ever can happen, Herself requiring attention. The dog requiring attention (though he has discovered that he enjoys box playing and sits next to me, and will chow down to the music!), a house that requires attention

If I keep going I may become suicidal

tedrick

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2011, 06:29:40 PM »

Spent the weekend cleaning the garage - so I can have a larger space for practicing - oh and the girls will have a 2nd dance practice floor - maybe they'll even let me play for them sometimes! Ha ha!

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2011, 07:23:22 PM »

'dogs requiring attention...'
My next door neighbour keeps chuckling. whenever I play outside, her terrier howls..... but we've not yet worked out in which key ;D
She thinks it's a hoot! ( howl.....?)

Reeds:  :'( No, I'm not envious  :'(  no, not at all
( sniff )
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2011, 11:21:51 PM »

Let's see....there's work (writing and the research it entails), housework (my wife's an invalid so most of it's down to me), walking the dogs, preparing museum displays for our local museum, preparing and delivering Powerpoint presentations on local history, building finescale models and a model railway on which to run them, undertaking cataloguing work for Darlington Railway Museum and voluntary work as archivist and shop assistant on the Wensleydale Railway. Oh, and my wife needs to sleep each afternoon, so practising/playing is rarely possible during that part of the day.

Nevertheless, I usually manage at least an hour a day playing and practising, often more. How? Well, I get up between 7.30 and 8.00 a.m., I go to bed between 1.00 and 1.30 a.m. and I don't watch much television. I believe in getting the most out of each day - unlike many people I know, who waste several hours a day!
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2011, 08:22:21 AM »

(Clipped)

Nevertheless, I usually manage at least an hour a day playing and practising, often more. How? Well, I get up between 7.30 and 8.00 a.m., I go to bed between 1.00 and 1.30 a.m. and I don't watch much television. I believe in getting the most out of each day - unlike many people I know, who waste several hours a day!

I used to spend hours playing Guild Wars - an online computer game. In the game you can check just how much time you have spent on it - you wouldn't believe how the game grips you - I spent far too on the damn thing. When I realised how addicted I had become - I finally walked away from it in December last year and decided to get my life back and start playing squeezebox and guitar again.

So now instead of playing the game - I'm playing music and doing recordings and video - my better for my head..

Almo
ISIS Melodeon, Hohner Erica,  Fender Strat Plus, Takamine, Hofner Violin Bass, Hohner CX12 Harmonica, etc.... Website: https://folk-music.uk

Guy

• Not quite enough melodeons....
    • Cats Claw
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2011, 08:58:31 AM »

I need to buy a shed.... :||:  :|glug  :||:  :|glug :||:  :|glug  :|glug  :|glug

When my wife and I decided to move in together (we'd kept separate houses for a few years 'cos it seemed to work quite well) we agreed that beforehand we'd have to build a cabin in the garden as apparently melodeons and "Coronation Street" don't mix. The other members of the band are very envious....

Cheers,
Guy
Guy, in South Wales

Cats Claw, http://www.cats-claw.co.uk

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2011, 09:45:01 AM »

' apparently melodeons and "Coronation Street" don't mix.....'
I know what you mean!
Thank goodness for a large house with stone walls. It means your cordless phone ' works for 300'...' only works metres away, but the walls sure deaden the sound!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2011, 10:09:35 AM »

' apparently melodeons and "Coronation Street" don't mix.....'
I know what you mean!
Thank goodness for a large house with stone walls. It means your cordless phone ' works for 300'...' only works metres away, but the walls sure deaden the sound!
Q
you could try and play along with the theme tune on your melodeon?

Fidjit

• my space on My Space
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2011, 10:26:58 AM »

Golf

Sandy Flett

• Accordion and Melodeon Blog
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2011, 10:29:45 AM »

Looking for "really special" boxes on eBay.
DG Dino Baffetti Carnival II (plus accordions)
Accordion and Melodeon blog

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2011, 12:35:04 PM »

' you could try and play along with the theme tune on your melodeon?.....'
Yes.....but I'd prefer not to!

Golf???? on a dark winter's evening, when you could be tucked up beside the woodburner getting tinto a new set of tunes ???
that's no excuse!
....but each to their own
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Fidjit

• my space on My Space
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2011, 01:38:12 PM »

'

Golf???? on a dark winter's evening, when you could be tucked up beside the woodburner getting tinto a new set of tunes ???
that's no excuse!
....but each to their own
Q

Dark winters evening not a problem, but I practice during the daylight hours. Neighbours like it quiet at night.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2011, 01:50:34 PM »

aahhhh.... I see, that explains it.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

zippydw

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2011, 07:27:21 PM »

Something I did not mention earlier. How to mitigate 'Herself'...I am looking for a gracious word for...interference.

I get up at 5, and clear out of the upstairs by 515 so Herself can get ready for work. She has to be out by 630. I get to practices form 530 to about 745 since she gets dressed on one side of the house from 515 to 615 and leaves at 630.

And the dog after seeing her out of the house, lays down next to me as I practise.

When she is around and I am playing, Herself has this great filter...regardless of how intensely I am playing she just walks into the room and tells me to do things with full expectation that I will get on it immediately. :-\

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2011, 09:48:16 PM »

Working away from home Mon-Fri is real bad news. Even though I'm lodging with a musician, time is scarce both during the week and at weekends.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2011, 09:53:11 AM »

The main obstacle to my practise is tiredness from my job :(  Teaching is a great job but it colonises my mind and sucks up my energy. I paint and run too  ;D Plenty to keep me busy, but I only manage to practise for about 20 minutes at a time, twice a day.
I don't get 'jigs'

Simon

• Respected Sage
  • Serenellini Selli C/F and Gold98 G/C
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2011, 11:54:38 AM »

When I realised how addicted I had become - I finally walked away from it in December last year and decided to get my life back and start playing squeezebox and guitar again.
If you want to get rid of addictions you shouldn't pick up a squeezebox  ;D

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2011, 04:19:28 PM »

When I realised how addicted I had become - I finally walked away from it in December last year and decided to get my life back and start playing squeezebox and guitar again.
If you want to get rid of addictions you shouldn't pick up a squeezebox  ;D
This is actually a pretty interesting comment. I feel like there are aspects of squeezebox that seem addictive, but there's a difference ... With a wife, five kids, two dogs, and a turtle ... and a full time job and doctoral program ... I've gotten pretty fierce about making sure my time is well spent. This doesn't mean I don't do leisure -- it isn't utility that I want out of my time -- but I want to make sure I spend time doing things that will improve my quality of life and the quality of life in my house.  Playing music does that.  Being on Facebook does not.  Being on this list ... depends on the day  :Ph.  I can get pretty addicted to you all.
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2011, 11:00:10 AM »

'You have a turtle!  Oh, all is clear now  .....'
 ;D

had to wipe tea off the keyboard after that one!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal