anyone out there using the new Morgane?

ok
- 0 (0%)
yes
- 2 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: July 15, 2008, 01:54:07 PM

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hohner Morgane D/G  (Read 9166 times)

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
Re: Hohner Morgane D/G
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2008, 11:01:38 PM »

Hohner instruments vary so much.
I've just taken delivery of two brand new Corona II three row melodeons.
The one had a sweet sounding and very playable treble side but I had to fix the bass action as it was so hard that I could hardly push the buttons in.
The other had a perfect bass action but the treble side had several sticking buttons and a few notes way out of tune.

One Morgane that I recently had in stock had the bass strap screwed in the wrong place and the air button mechanism badly assembled resulting in the action being too short.

I'm awaiting delivery of a Corona Xtreme (I think, made in Germany). I'll report on the quality when it arrives.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

risto

• Respected Sage
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2008, 11:32:14 PM »

I didn't actually mean that the bass buttons were heavy.
I meant that the whole left side was heavy i.e. it weighs a lot more than a pokerwork left end.

OK, my apolgies misreading and misunderstanding. Anyway, what I said still is totally valid concerning the button force required.

Some may think I am too pendantic or splitting hairs but what you want and/or can accept in you instrument varies a lot depending what you play etc.. When you are looking an instrument which does not limit you in any way these little details actually do make a difference. The Morgane has the potential but it is not quite yet there IMO.
Paolo Soprani 5-row, Roland FR1B-digital CBA button accordion. Guitar, 5-string OT banjo, mandolin, piano...
My one man band recording: https://apari.fi/Bonaparte_Crossing_The_Rhine_Risto.mp3

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2008, 02:30:41 PM »

Hohner instruments vary so much. <snip>
I guess this is true for most mass-market musical instruments, not just Hohner melodeons!
Take 3 guitars/violins/trumpets/etc of the same brand and model and they will all feel and sound different. This is true even for upscale models.
Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F and G/C,
Hohner Erica A/D, Roland FR-18

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2008, 09:29:27 PM »

I've been following this thread with great interest as I would like to try a Merlin in G/C (Morgane with two extra treble buttons)  I can't see that the extras would alter the tone and I agree with Dazbo that the lower toned boxes have an entirely different character.

On a practical matter, my Dony had sharp finger board edges when I received it and despite having paid a mortgage for it I took a wood plane to it the very first day.  That was eighteen years ago and I'm still thrilled with the box.

Martin
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2008, 12:04:43 PM »

I've just received a Merlin in D/G (quite rare). I haven't had time to put it on the website yet but will try to do so in the next few days.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal