Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Best music fest in UK/Continent?  (Read 6997 times)

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
Re: Best music fest in UK/Continent?
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2011, 03:04:27 PM »

What would be recommended travel from MAN to Whitby?  Does one need a car once at Whitby?

If you are travelling by train from Manchester to Whitby, the number of changes you need to make depends on the time of day. If timing and connections work, you can get a train from Manchester Airport to Darlington and then change to one for Whitby. However, if you are unlucky, you may have to make additional changes at York and either Stockton or Middlesbrough. If you decide to hire a car, it takes between two-and-a-half and three hours to drive from the airport to Whitby.

If you can find accommodation near the centre of Whitby, you are better off without a car because parking can be difficult, but if your accommodation is further out, you will need a car or to ensure that you are within easy reach of a good bus service.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

george garside

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2011, 04:18:41 PM »

another way would be traian from manchester to leeds then bus direct to whitby or train mleeds to scarbourogh & bus to whitby.

I would definately reiterate what others have said about paarking in whitby which is extremely difficult. Most people park up for the week & walk so be prepared to lose at least a sotne (12lbs) in the weekQ

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

jack

• Regular debater
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2011, 05:37:37 PM »

I brought my pushbike last year and the year before.. there are so many workshops and sessions spread out you need one! Not sure if you can hire..

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2011, 06:22:28 PM »

Thanks all, working on hotel..
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

george garside

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2011, 06:34:22 PM »

I will be doing my usual 'DG crash course for beginners' again -  A linked series of 4 workshops  pllus a separate intermediate(ish ) workshop but don't know the venue as yet. Should also be doing a couple of led sessions , again not sure of venue  due to lack of availablility of a number of previously used venues this year.

george

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
  • Forget the tea, just pass me a large Gin 🍸
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2011, 07:58:43 PM »

Right, NCL.  Problem for us, 2 connections to get there.

What would be recommended travel from MAN to Whitby?  Does one need a car once at Whitby?

There's a direct rail link from Manchester Airport to Scarborough every hour (or there is at the moment  (:) )   http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/en/s/planjourney/query  Just put Manchester Airport to Scarborough or Manchester Airport to Whitby (via Middlesbrough) for a trip to the middle of Whitby,in the boxes.  Once at Scarborough there's the 93 bus through to Whitby though it takes an hour and can be a bit packed during the holiday season.  A taxi from Scarborough would take about 30mins and cost at least £25, if there are 4 or 5 of you then the taxi fare is probably about the same as you'd spend on bus tickets. 

My spare room was bagged for this year's Whitby Folk week by my friends as they set toe over the step last Folk Week  ;D  ....... Morris dancers in the attic  ...... it's like having bats but with clogs on    :M :|||:

For getting around Whitby it's best not to use a car, parking can be a nightmare. Walking, the buses or, if you're carrying heavy instruments from one side of town to the other, sharing a taxi with friends is best.  ;D  I think bicycles can be hired from the bike shop on Skinner St.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 08:35:55 PM by anlej »
On the bracing North Yorkshire Coast :D

You hum it pet.......I'll play it......but not necessarily in the same key 🎶😊
 3 lovely Liliputs, a Preciosa, a Pokerwork & a C/G Anglo concertina :D

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2011, 08:20:19 PM »

Whoops! there's 1 change of train ,  the trains from Manchester Airport connect at Manchester Piccadilly with the through trains to Scarborough.

Steve C.

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2011, 03:02:35 AM »

flying blind on the hotel scene--some full, some not, some pricy, some not, some scenic, some not.

ETC ETC.!

Recommendations in the mid price range, (but from your opinions on how to do Whitby), location most important.

Any good, bad experiences from previous trips?

Thanks, again, all...

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2011, 05:45:20 AM »

For sheer family joy - I'd say Whitby.  I was 'office boy' on the staff of the first folk week in 1970 and was overwhelmed by the vibrancy of the festival**  (we drank one pub (the Star) dry twice)!   I've been going back ever since -notably through the 80's when Vanessa and I helped run the creche.

Whitby has something for everyone - generally 10 or so folky things going on in various venues - all within 15 minutes walk. The 'unofficial' continuous  session in the Elsinor Cutty Sark Station Hotel gets stronger each year.

Around that there is a super little town, amazingly still resting on its laurels as a top seaside resort of the 1890's. Museums of Jet, and Ammonites (they crop naturally in the rocks). Walk up Henrietta St (in "Buildings of Britain" as one of the best of its genre) and mount the steps to the old abbey where the date of Easter was agreed in 664.  See St Hilda's church over that cliff  "where Count Dracula landed".  It's got Captain Cook (discovered Australia). It's got pioneering 1870s+ Frank Sutcliffe photography.

I've holidayed repeatedly in the town in dark February to watch the fleet (now decimated through overfishing) go out, or winter gales crash over the harbour walls (the 1st landfall in a straight line out of those jetties is .. Siberia).  It's a super town. Superb family orientated festival. You can't go wrong.

http://www.whitbyfolk.co.uk/

[edit] Thanks to Alan for his timely reminder of **Rout of the Blues - defo song of the Festival 1970 - we sang it to death

Sutcliffe - famous portrait
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 06:00:54 AM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

ACE

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2011, 07:56:36 AM »

Thanks all, working on hotel..

I have met the owners, they are really great people.

http://freespace.virgin.net/batsand.broomsticks/
Saltarelle Horizon, Dino mini, Lachenal g/d anglo

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2011, 08:52:16 AM »

We danced at it in err... '86 I think. It is the farthest I've ever been Opp North!
We had a great week, and I have memories of putting up the tent and venturing down the abbey steps for the first time wihlst a friend told us about Dracula coming to Britain as a black dog, only to get to the bottom and find....a Black Dog :o
As said, an interesting town with nooks and crannies to find.
After dancing all day, it was hard work by the end of the week going to and from the campsite several times a day.
Do they still use the abbey campsite?
yours in nostalgia....
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

george garside

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2011, 11:30:35 AM »

Abbey campsite no longer exists. Main festival site ( season ticket holders only ) is at Stakesby School in walking distance of everything. Moor & coast set up a tempory site at Community college  open to anybody - again walking distance from all events - google moor & coast for info. Otherwise commercial sites furthur out from town , mostly for caravans rather than tents.

george

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2011, 02:27:29 PM »

Another vote for Whitby. Last year there were some excellent French sessions in the Resolution (the old Working Men's Club). Hope this happens again but without the football cup final on the TV >:E Other session venues to look out for are the Elsinor (English/mixed) every evening and the Middle Earth.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2011, 04:55:27 PM »

Thanks George.
Must admit, those pulls up to Abbey site were a killer after a day's morris!
cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2011, 05:41:55 PM »

With all you people going to Whitby - have any of you ever seen a yacht there called "Pilgrim"?  She's a sister to my own "Mojo".  The photos I've seen of her are of a boat in beautiful condition (28ft sloop).

Rob.

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2011, 05:54:53 PM »

With all you people going to Whitby - have any of you ever seen a yacht there called "Pilgrim"?  She's a sister to my own "Mojo".  The photos I've seen of her are of a boat in beautiful condition (28ft sloop).

Rob.

Can't bring it to mind but if it turns up on the 'Ship Tracker' that shows the realtime shipping off the coast http://www.whitbyweather.com/Ship%20Ais/AIS%20Map.html I'll nip  down the harbour and have a look at it  ;D

Steve C.

Re: Best music fest in UK/Continent? (Whitby)
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2011, 07:27:43 PM »

Making progress on arrangements.  Has anyone stayed at Saxonville Hotel, Esklet House or Argyle House?  Are they in good location for the festival?  Thanks, Steve
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 07:29:50 PM by GCFMan/Steve »

Steve C.

Re: Best music fest in UK/Continent? (Whitby)
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2011, 07:44:49 PM »

Here is the rest of my list, waiting to hear from some (any feedback appreciated):

White House, Cliffemount, Ruswamp Hall, Sunnyvale House, Lavina H, Prospect Villa, The Willows, Captains Lodge, Autumn Leaves, Fawcet H, Haven Crest, Middleham.

Thanks.

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2011, 10:00:38 PM »

My mother-in-law and friends stay at The Willows http://www.guesthouse4whitby.co.uk/ whenever they're in Whitby and they've always enjoyed their stays. It's not far from the centre of town and within walking distance of most of the venues.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2011, 10:14:17 PM »

I have stayed in the Middleham.   Its practically next door to the festival office.  It has changed hands since I was there, from the website it seems to be better than I remember.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal