Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it Blasphemy...  (Read 13843 times)

Jamie Robertson

• Good talker
  • C/F Pokerwork, A/D Venezia, B/C Double Ray DeLuxe,
Is it Blasphemy...
« on: November 15, 2007, 05:27:29 AM »

to install shoulder straps on a German made Pokerwork with no brackets for them?   I don't know.  I know that modifying stringed instruments can ruin their value to collectors, but what do mods do to button box values?  I know that this is a relatively cheap melodeon, but it's the only one I have, and I don't want to ruin it.

If it's permissible, how does one suggest installing the strap
 brackets to minimize damage to the instrument?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 05:30:30 AM by Jamie Robertson »
Music is the Best.  Frank Zappa.

Peter Brook

Re: Is it Blasphemy...
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 07:58:02 AM »

If you are adding "proper" brackets that accept two straps I can't see the problem - definitely not blasphemy.  Just be very cautious if you need to drill any holes for bracket screws.

I'm a two strap convert and find it very difficult to play with one. (I mainly play standing up for Morris)

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 08:21:53 AM »

Proper Hohner Old Style brakets available HERE

pipives

• Respected Sage
    • Pip Ives
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 10:20:50 AM »

I'd be inclined to put strap brackets on it. As long as they're proper strap brackets that look right. Most people play with at least one strap these days, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Like others have said, just be careful when drilling holes in the box.
Faversham, Kent

Kevin Mack

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 11:20:19 AM »

Find a Hohner with brackets factory-fitted, and put yours in the same place. Use standard two-strap brackets and stainless screws. ( Not too long ). You will add a little to the value, I think, as most people would prefer to have brackets there. It can't be sacrilige, because box playing is a pastime, not religion, and anyway, the facory fit them themselves. As for damaging the box, choose straps that don't have metal bits that can rub the bodywork, that's the most common cause of damage.
Kev.
Gloucester Lad  Can't play (much)  Can fix  Can tune

buttonmasher

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 12:05:31 PM »

Kevin,
A Honer Pokerwork is hardly a "Valuable" instrument, (I love my German one), as there must be millions out there.  I too think you will add to the desirability, if not the value , by fitting strap brackets. Have you ever seen anybody, (apart from yourself it seems), playing a pokerwork without a strap, I certainly haven't.  Do you play yours with just the thumbstrap?  Just a tip, do drill very small holes for the screws, as just forcing them in stands a better than even chance of splitting the wood.
Cheers,
Ralph

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 12:16:08 PM »

to install shoulder straps on a German made Pokerwork with no brackets for them?   I don't know.  I know that modifying stringed instruments can ruin their value to collectors, but what do mods do to button box values?  I know that this is a relatively cheap melodeon, but it's the only one I have, and I don't want to ruin it.

If it's permissible, how does one suggest installing the strap
 brackets to minimize damage to the instrument?

I don't think there is any risk of reducing its value, more likely you'll make it slightly more saleable.  It is a mass produced instrument after all, hardly a collectors item.

Several people have advised care with drilling holes.  I'll add to that the wood is quite soft and if you have the right size screws its better not to drill holes.  just use a bradawl to make enough of a hole for the screw to get started.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Jamie Robertson

• Good talker
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 11:52:09 PM »

Thanks one and all for your helpful suggestions.  I will install brackets and straps, but I will need to get dimensions from someone on line, since there are no boxes to view in my area.

Thanks again,

Kevin Mack

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 01:23:51 PM »

Kevin,
A Honer Pokerwork is hardly a "Valuable" instrument, (I love my German one), as there must be millions out there.  I too think you will add to the desirability, if not the value , by fitting strap brackets. Have you ever seen anybody, (apart from yourself it seems), playing a pokerwork without a strap, I certainly haven't.  Do you play yours with just the thumbstrap?  Just a tip, do drill very small holes for the screws, as just forcing them in stands a better than even chance of splitting the wood.
Cheers,
Ralph

Hi Ralph,
I don't think I did say anything about pokerworks being 'valuble', I think you mean someone else. I do use a single strap, but would probably go to two if I did a lot of playing standing, or walking.
Lots of people do play with just a thumbstap though, and play some lovely music that way. It's just how you start out, I think. Check out this link for a really nice number on youtube :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpcBZfvIQYs&mode=related&search=
I agree with the small size drill advice, or bradall. If you make the hole too near the size of the screw, it's likely to work loose, damage the wood and leak.
Kevin.
Gloucester Lad  Can't play (much)  Can fix  Can tune

Jamie Robertson

• Good talker
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007, 05:52:27 PM »

Ralph and Kevin:

I think Ralph's earlier note was directed toward me, but Kevin had made the last entry prior to Ralph's writing it.  I don't harbor any illusions that my box is valuable.  I just didn't want to reduce what value it has.  If I were to take a fine violin, and paint it, or screw a pick-up to the top, it would minimize the value.  I understand that what I have is a "player" instrument, and not a fine example of the box maker's art.  Maybe I'll get one of those after I figure out what to do with this one.

By the way, Kevin, I find Renee Batten's playing really nice.

Once again, thanks to all who have told me to go ahead with the strap installation.

Cheers

Doug Anderson

• Good talker
  • aka Veloce
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2007, 07:30:08 PM »

If I were to take a fine violin, and paint it, or screw a pick-up to the top, it would minimize the value.
Adding a strap or two to a Pokerwork, as you propose, is more akin to drilling out the holes in the tailpiece of a decent inexpensive violin to install fine tuners. It will improve the usability of the instrument and, for most potential buyers, it will increase its value.

melodeon

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2007, 07:06:27 PM »

I use single strap brackets specifically for a Hohner from Hohner

A 2 strap bracket on a Pokerwork is like an 8 ton winch on a VW  bug...

The value in a Pokerwork is its utility.. go for it

You should see my 1950's  112    now that is utilitarian....

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2007, 01:28:00 PM »

Folks, I think people should be careful about their characterisation of what's "valuable".

For many people a broken instrument can mean weeks of not being able to play, whilst a lost or irretrievably damaged instrument may be next to impossible to replace.

melodeon

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 12:21:22 AM »

Andrew

Would you mind translating that to English.. I mean  common usage for dolts as myself

I did not understand a word of what you wrote.

Thanks

Pushpull

• Regular debater
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2007, 11:01:29 AM »

Andrew

Would you mind translating that to English.. I mean  common usage for dolts as myself

Thanks

Well I accept that English usage varies around the world, but I'm pretty sure that most UK residents would have little problem accepting Andrew's post as standard English.

Good point too, though I think the OPs question related to whether adding straps would devalue the instrument (even if done correctly without damaging it).

I did put a single strap on my one row using a "proper" bracket and it's easy enough. I agree with Theo too about using a bradawl rather than a drill (the screws are tiny).

Roy.

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2007, 07:06:17 PM »

Its being standard English doesn't mean that it is making a clear point - the relevance of the admonition to be careful is lost on me too.

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2007, 08:51:05 PM »

Andrew

Thanks

Correct English would be:

"Would you mind translating that INTO English . . . I mean common usage for dolts LIKE myself."

People in glass houses . . .

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2007, 09:35:43 PM »

Correct English would be:

"Would you mind translating that INTO English . . . I mean common usage for dolts LIKE myself."

People in glass houses . . .

Very clever, Bill. But Jeff (for it is he, his writing style gives him away) didn't criticize Andrew's grammar or syntax - he merely made the point that he couldn't understand what Andrew was on about. And fairly enough in my view.

melodeon

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2007, 10:55:25 PM »

wgwy 

get a life ,  no one was criticizing grammar...  only the obfuscated  message  ( I ,too, stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night and subscribed to Verbal Advantage)

common language usage..   equals  communication

And I still don't get it..

what the hell did he say ?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 10:58:23 PM by melodeon »

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2007, 08:48:10 AM »

Oh for goodness sake! I can't believe that transatlantic language differences are that difficult to cope with.  ???

I'm sure Andrew's message was perfectly clear to the majority of us here, but if you really must have it translated into baby talk, he was pointing out the different ways we think of 'value', especially when applied to melodeons. Value isn't just restricted to it's monetary meaning, as in 'if I add strap brackets to this melodeon, will it affect the amount of money I will get for it should I choose to sell it again?' Andrew was also highlighting the fact that  the value of an object depends on 'what it means to us personally, and whether we will be upset or feel bereft if it is unexpectedly removed from our possession, temporarily or permanently, by needing to be repaired or suffering serious damage'.

[Flame shields activated and in place.]
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal