Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Baldoni experts?  (Read 4280 times)

jeverist

Baldoni experts?
« on: April 27, 2011, 03:33:31 PM »

anyone have any ideas on this one currently up on US ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260773027012&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1204

29 buttons in two rows and 16 basses.  seller claims that its diatonic - I thought with all those buttons it might be some kind of a PA tuning with buttons.  he cannot determine the row keys.  It looks like a stepped keyboard from what I can tell.  some kind of a monster for sure, I bet it weighs a ton. D/G?  D/C#?  out of my price range in any event.
4v C#/D Paolo Soprani, derelict G & D single-row Hohners, Dipper C/G 32b Anglo, Acadian C

hibbs3

Re: Baldoni experts?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 04:25:05 PM »

I have seen a 23 button baldoni, but not 29, and in 2 rows!

robriki

• Regular debater
  • Saltarelle AD Nuage, Hohner CG Erica
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 04:52:06 PM »

some kind of a monster for sure

But a shiny monster with lots of jewels!

Seems to be HEAVY!  And some of the bass buttons are missing.  For a seller that sell this kind of instrument a this kind of price, he should at least get someone to tell him the key...

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 08:01:20 PM »

Blimey. Looks to be a 4 voice, from the stops. Lot of money though...
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

jeverist

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 09:15:46 PM »

sorry, Theo.  I thought that because this box was for sale on ebay that I had it in the right category.  I stand corrected.....
4v C#/D Paolo Soprani, derelict G & D single-row Hohners, Dipper C/G 32b Anglo, Acadian C

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 09:24:10 PM »

sorry, Theo.  I thought that because this box was for sale on ebay that I had it in the right category.  I stand corrected.....

Quite understandable.  This does seem to to be more of a discussion about the box, than an offer for sale.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

waltzman

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 11:46:08 PM »

I kind of like it's appearance.  It is a lot of money though.  It'll be interesting to see if it stirs up any questions for the seller.

Lars

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 04:25:10 PM »

Reminds me a bit of this yoke:

Andrew Culwell

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 08:40:44 PM »

A few Questions to the seller and I have some interesting facts.  The Box is located in Woodlawn, New York being sold by an Irish woman.  The accordion belonged to her Uncle who played with a dancehall band in the 40's and 50's.  She does not know the tuning.  The Uncle passed and now the box is for sale.  Woodlawn is in the Bronx and back in the day was a hotbed of Irish music similar to Boston.  I'm sure the thing roars.  If anyone wishes to know the last name of the owner PM me. 

--Drew
Hohner's, Paolo Soprani red 4 voice, Paddy Clancy Celtic

Andrew Culwell

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 01:27:46 PM »

One of our fellow forum members has bought the box.  It's in the key of D/G  maybe he can explain more should there be interest.
Hohner's, Paolo Soprani red 4 voice, Paddy Clancy Celtic

jeverist

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 11:32:24 PM »

I'd love to hear it .......  and about it.  how it lays out, number of voices (4?) etc.  gotta love the look especially

hughor

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 04:10:15 PM »

The accordion is D/G box with  stepped key board.  Usually these boxes were D/C#.  I bought it from the original owner's niece who inherited it.  Unfortunately, she knew very little about it except to say that it was played  in Irish circles in NY by her uncle.  The box weighs about 17 lbs  and is in good shape.  The top and bottom buttons in both rows are dummies.  Sixteen basses are a plus.  LMMH

Baldoni-Bartoli  was know for making very decorated accordions.  Those sold for the Irish-American market usually had shamrocks and flag decorations.  This box is unusual in not having the typical Irish decorations.

Hugh

hibbs3

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 03:42:46 AM »

17 lbs?! :o

nfldbox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 01:23:30 PM »

Could someone explain the need for the dummies?
And is this just for the collection or are you planning restoration? What does it need beyond the buttons?
BC Cairdin
BC Hohner Double Ray
Bouchard en RĂ©

pgroff

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 07:50:16 PM »

Could someone explain the need for the dummies?
And is this just for the collection or are you planning restoration? What does it need beyond the buttons?

I'm not sure there is a great "need" for dummy buttons but you often see them on large diatonic button accordions.  My take on this is that these are often diatonics that are built on the platform of a pre-made (or partially pre-made) accordion body, that was originally designed for a piano-keyboard or chromatic box.   The diatonic layouts don't need to have rows of levers that are as numerous (in number of functional, note-producing keys) as often found for the rows of black and white keys on piano-keyboard accordions.   So given a certain size accordion body designed for a 3, 4, 5, or 6 voice accordion, when installing a diatonic keyboard you may find there's empty real estate at the top and bottom of the keyboard plate -- unless you fill that with dummy buttons.

The Keshel accordion (pics below) is a 2 row G/C built into a body that may have been intended for a PA.  It has 6 dummy buttons - levers are there, and trimmed off aluminum pallet levers, but no holes in the soundboard or in the reedblocks.

Other very large Baldonis, and some "Buttonbox style Polka diatonics" I have seen, have also had the dummy buttons like Hugh's new box.  BTW he is already playing it!

PG
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal