Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Recording Your Sound  (Read 11450 times)

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: Recording Your Sound
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2011, 11:19:32 AM »

What you really want is a Zoom H2  ;D

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h2/

It has two sets of x/y configured mics at 90 and 120 degrees or both sets at the same time. Plus will work directly as a USB mic. And not much more money

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2011, 11:44:32 AM »

It has two sets of x/y configured mics at 90 and 120 degrees or both sets at the same time. Plus will work directly as a USB mic. And not much more money

Lester - I'm confused enough mate.... :-\

Alan
ISIS Melodeon, Hohner Erica,  Fender Strat Plus, Takamine, Hofner Violin Bass, Hohner CX12 Harmonica, etc.... Website: https://folk-music.uk

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2011, 12:12:56 PM »

a Zoom H2 ... will work directly as a USB mic.
Lester - I'm confused enough mate.... :-\

It seems you can't use the H1 as a USB mic which is a slight disadvantage.
You can't have everything at that price, but recording and then transferring the files isn't much harder.
Not like the bad old days of Minidisc where you could only transfer the recording to a computer in real time...
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2011, 03:27:07 PM »

it's easier to have them on the PC (or laptop) straight away

Yes, I can see that's a real advantage, though to be honest I find it takes me only perhaps 30 seconds to download a track from my H2 to GoldWave.

and played back through hi-fi to hear what it really sounds like. Or with studio monitor headphones plugged into the laptop you also get excellent sound quality for one listener.

My PC and laptop are both very noisy in audio playback it seems, far more so than the Zoom in playback mode - is this typical in your experience Ian?

Neither of mine are, the PC has an Audigy Platinum sound card with an external audio breakout box but the laptop is just a decent HP. So some PCs and laptops obviously have decent audio, equally others don't...

Ian
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

Chris Brimley

« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2011, 12:14:48 PM »

What you really want is a Zoom H2  

:|bl  Oops, I feel pretty sheepish, here, Almo! I suggested the H1 to you rather than the H2 (which is the one I have), on the basis of its cheaper price, because I thought you'd find 2-channel stereo quite adequate, and because I guessed that the internal gubbins were pretty much the same, but with only two channels.  

I didn't know it didn't have a USB link, so how do you download stuff from it?  Or is it just that it won't allow direct throughput?

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2011, 12:27:20 PM »

What you really want is a Zoom H2 

:|bl  Oops, I feel pretty sheepish, here, Almo! I suggested the H1 to you rather than the H2 (which is the one I have), on the basis of its cheaper price, because I thought you'd find 2-channel stereo quite adequate, and because I guessed that the internal gubbins were pretty much the same, but with only two channels. 

I didn't know it didn't have a USB link, so how do you download stuff from it?

The Zoom H1 is great - easy to use - all press button and no on screen menus to step through.
The sound is recorded to a removeable memory card that you can pop into your laptop card reader, or use the USB connection on it to download to the laptop.

It can be used as a USB mic - I already have a guitar / USB lead - all you need is a 1/4" to mini jack adapter to plug into the H1's headphone socket. You would normally just use the headphone socket for headphones - however the mics is live through there too for monitoriong I suppose.

Having tried a recording test with the H1 and my normal USB condenser mic - I still think the larger mic produced a better result due to the bigger diaphram possibly.

I tried it as a normal mic too, through my Sound Blaster external card which records at 24 bit - but I still prefer the big condenser mic...

The big plus for me is that I can carry it around and record anwhere easily, it will be a lot of use with recording the band. Also you can attatch it to a video camera to give you brillient sound for your video recordings.

Very pleased with it for £80
ISIS Melodeon, Hohner Erica,  Fender Strat Plus, Takamine, Hofner Violin Bass, Hohner CX12 Harmonica, etc.... Website: https://folk-music.uk

Chris Brimley

« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2011, 01:28:14 PM »

Phew, that's a relief!

zubz

• Respected Sage
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2011, 02:55:12 PM »

Just ordered one ... finally fed up with tinny quality of the phone recording capability.
The reviews look good, so I'm hopeful it'll make a big difference.
It's good to know that others here use it too.

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2011, 02:17:25 PM »

I'm still messing with the condenser microphone and recording software Mixcraft 5..Just recorded a 'jingle' for a website I'm working on at the moment.

There are nine tracks recorded and still no signs of the latency problems Clive has had ....

http://www.myspace.com/alanmorleys/music/songs/Cactus-County-Website-jingle-81909149  There is a melodeon in there somewhere, lol Country melodeon.. ::)

Alan - yieeharrr

Dundas_SJ

« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2018, 12:50:36 PM »

Hi Anahata,   huge thanks for your contributions to the world of melodeons generally.  What mikes do you use when recording melodeon in the studio?  I haven't started recording in earnest since getting cubase 8.5 but have rode N2 large cap cardiod and rode M5 matched pair small cap that I'm going to try.  One person said a small cap may be best to focus the bass end but I was thinking maybe N2s for both ends.

Whistles/mandolins - anyone anysuggestions for miking low and high D whsitles and also mandolin?   One of the replies above mentioned these. Maybe I should make a seperate post

thanks.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2018, 01:28:02 PM »

... Maybe I should make a seperate post

thanks.
[/quote]

Definitely  (:)
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2018, 01:35:55 PM »

Anahata... What mikes do you use when recording melodeon in the studio?  I haven't started recording in earnest since getting cubase 8.5 but have rode N2 large cap cardiod and rode M5 matched pair small cap that I'm going to try.

I like small diaphragm condensers. I have used Schoeps MK41 (massive overkill in price and quality) Neumann KM184 (ditto, though half the price) AKG Blueline C391B (mid range, used a lot for film work for some reason) and Behringer C2 (super budget mic but still fit for purpose). I haven't made a note of what I used for which recording and quite honestly can't tell which is which from listening now. I should try a pair of SM57s some time too...

Of the mics you list, I'd try the M5 as coincident pair first or if I had to do a recording in a hurry, but you should try everything you've got and experiment with mic positions. The sound of a recording is a complex function of mic type and pattern, mic position and the room you are recording in, and what suits your instrument best. Sometimes the coloration of a cheap mic does wonders for a particular voice or instrument - it's really a black art.

Having a DAW like Cubase or (in my case) Ardour is a real luxury, because you can balance treble and bass sides, get the stereo image you want and equalise out some frequency  response anomalies, (not to mention editing out mistakes by copy & paste  :o )
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2020, 04:49:08 PM »

I use either a Zoom H1, or mics like that plug to a small mixing board (they need phantom power) which is then plugged to the recording device or computer. I just clipped them to the last fold of the bellows, no permanent mod to your squeezebox! I also used those mics for gigs for a long time until I switched to digital.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/12953/Pro_Audio_Recording/Microphones/Apex_Electronics/Compact_Clip-on_Instrument_Condenser_Microphone.htm
Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F and G/C,
Hohner Erica A/D, Roland FR-18

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2020, 05:42:14 PM »

Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2020, 06:24:15 PM »

has anyone tried these?

http://www.jts.com.tw/english/products/detail.php?fid=4&subid=20&pid=441
Greg: please check the link - it's givng me a 'page not found' error.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2020, 07:15:12 PM »

Different site Steve but try this link, it also gives the price.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2020, 08:33:33 PM »

Different site Steve but try this link, it also gives the price.

That's it, thanks Pete.
Greg Smith

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2020, 01:01:36 AM »

It looks like a clone of the excellent AKG C516 goose-neck mics when they were made with the clothes-peg type clip fixings. The power adapter is pretty much the same as the AKG version too.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2020, 08:43:50 AM »

It looks like a clone of the excellent AKG C516 goose-neck mics when they were made with the clothes-peg type clip fixings. The power adapter is pretty much the same as the AKG version too.

Thanks Steve, that sounds useful, but the moments passed. I was considering one going cheap, box opened but never used. It's no longer available.
Greg Smith

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2020, 08:59:30 AM »

I can't believe it was nine years ago when I first posted this....things have moved on,

Over the years I have tried with various microphones - mainly USB condenser mics like the Blue Yeti which is essentially a podcasting microphone. It always produced a clear sound but no body to it - just what you would want for for spoken voice I suppose. No so good for guitar, melodeon or vocals. This led to loads of frustration and tweaking that didn't improve things.

Also as I first mentioned, it still picked up the sound of my desktop PC's processor fan and power supply fan and case fan and whirling hard drives.

After asking a couple of pro folkies what they used, they both said Focusrite interface with dynamic mics - like the Sure SM 58. So I tried that and still wasn't happy..

In January this year (2020) I invested in a Rode NT1-A Vocal Recording Pack - Condenser Mic with phantom power and normal XLR leads. Turned out to be the best mic I have found yet.
Rich tone and depth, sounds great with acoustic guitar. Plugged into the Focusrite then into the PC.

Still got the problem with computer fan noise though...but solved it.

I trawled the web and discovered that you can now get fanless laptops which run totally silently. I found one made by LincPlus and available on Amazon.

I ordered one and took delivery a couple of days ago. Along with some extra SSD memory for it.

It came with the latest version of Windows 10 too.

I installed my DAW programme ( Acoustica Mixcraft ) and away I went.

Finally a great sound and no background noise. :)

:||:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 09:02:21 AM by Alan Morley »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal