Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recording Your Sound  (Read 11432 times)

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
Re: Recording Your Sound
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2020, 10:52:14 AM »

That's a serious investment. Can't wait to hear it. By the way, we are always looking for SM58s at school if it you want to move it on at a reasonable price. I'd have to wait until we actually get back to school of course, to get it authorised.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2020, 11:03:22 AM »

Still got the problem with computer fan noise though...but solved it.
I trawled the web and discovered that you can now get fanless laptops which run totally silently.

I wouldn't normally offer advice in this area, but, it seems relevant.
You can buy an SSD drive and upgrade your existing machine. You can get a 2T SSD drive for £60, or less. Larger drives are available. There is on line advice on how to do it. An operating system might be an issue, but there are ways round that.

https://www.ubackup.com/articles/replace-laptop-hdd-with-ssd-4348i.html
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 11:11:00 AM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2020, 11:07:28 AM »

Still got the problem with computer fan noise though...but solved it.
I trawled the web and discovered that you can now get fanless laptops which run totally silently.

You can buy an SSD drive and upgrade your existing machine. You can get a 2T SSD drive for £60, or less. Larger drives are available. There is on line advice on how to do it. An operating system might be an issue, but there are ways round that.

My Desktop PC already has an SSD drive , Plus HDD drives. The main problem would still exist.
It's not just the drive whirling around - as I mentioned - there is a CPU Cooler Fan, Processor Fan, Case Fan.

The best solutionis a fanless laptop - only £229 for the basic without any SSD upgrade. I went for a 240GB SSD Internal card . LincPlus

For an extra 3 TB I also have a Western Digital - My Cloud on the house network ( which also has loads of CD's on it - you access it via the wireless network )
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 11:16:24 AM by Alan Morley »
ISIS Melodeon, Hohner Erica,  Fender Strat Plus, Takamine, Hofner Violin Bass, Hohner CX12 Harmonica, etc.... Website: https://folk-music.uk

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2020, 02:47:41 PM »

At risk of stating the obvious, a desktop  PC can also be fanless, or, like the one in my studio, so quiet that you can't hear it.
There are whole web sites dedicated to making PCs quiet, but these all help:
  • big, slow fans in power supply, CPU and case (you can get speed controllers, most motherboards do this already for CPU and case.)
  • Cases designed for low noise (stronger metal, solid front panel, acoustic lining, panel vibration damping)
  • SSD or quiet choice of HD
  • If it's a HD, mount it on a suspension system designed for low noise (rubber mounting pillars, or held between elastic bands)
  • PC case placed distant from mic with acoustic absorption on any reflective surfaces near it. I've had successs with a tower PC in a desk kneehole with the kneehole lined with acoustic foam, and of course on a carpet. Make sure there's room for cooling air to circulate.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2020, 03:31:11 PM »

I have a solid state silent netbook which I use for portable recording. If I want to spend a few days recording I run cables through from the computer into the next room and use my phone to control my noisy old desktop PC. The mobile control is something I wrote myself, but flexible OSC (Open Sound Control) apps are available which can do the same thing. Before I learned to use OCS I used a portable number pad with a long USB cable to control a cli (command line) recording setup that I had also programmed myself. I used the same setup when I was making underwater videos last summer. All a bit Heath Robinson, but ultimately very simple, flexible, reliable and effective.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 03:32:47 PM by Mike Hirst »
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal