Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Breton music - why G/C boxes?  (Read 11021 times)

sCANdanADIAN

• Regular debater
Re: Breton music - why G/C boxes?
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2008, 03:16:25 AM »

Welcome to the forum Kurt.Here's a clip of a very good swedish two-row player giving us his version of a "Canadian-Schottishe",his box is in G/C as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gHo0y42X7E&feature=related

Chris

Jambouton

• Hearts supporters play sad stuff....
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2008, 09:13:35 PM »

Thanks, folks.  A little complex in places but I think I understand.... just don't ask me to repeat it.  :-\

The upshot of it all is that I think I need to save up the bawbees and try to get a G/C box.  Could take a while though.

Steve/Mike - as Sheffield-based box players, have you ever gone to the Eurosession in Walkley?  Is box-playing big there?
... so Marvin the Paranoid Android got the Guinness in and, after we'd found a seat, he said "Drummers - loath them or ignore them, you can't like them".  He's got a point, though, hasn't he?  I mean ....

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2008, 11:20:40 PM »

I take my G/C/F box when I go to France, particularly Brittany and note that they rarely play in the growling register of the G row but favour the second position with it's advantageous cross rowing ability similar to Italian Organetto.  G/C boxes also play Am on the press and once again give an advantageous fingering pattern which is actually very easy for Irish tunes.

I also enjoy playing in English sessions with a G/C box although you get a few sideways looks concerning your fingering compared to the players around you and you can't always play the melody having to drop into a harmony.  One refreshing difference is that by playing the G/C box your chords choices are can be different, interesting but not always in keeping with the rest of the session.

The original question of why play G/C is probably because their dad did and now everyone in the session and in the dance team play them.  Anyway, great sounding, less screeching than D/G and worth going for Jim.  Enjoy.

Martin
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2008, 08:55:07 AM »

...... Steve/Mike - as Sheffield-based box players, have you ever gone to the Eurosession in Walkley?  Is box-playing big there?
I've never been to the Eurosession. Sounds good. Perhaps I will check it out after the summer break :)
http://eurosession.wikispaces.com/
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

mikesamwild

• Melodeon, Button Accordion, Anglo Concertina
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2008, 10:40:27 AM »

I've not been , so much to do in Sheffield- Folk City , and so little time to do it! But I will give it a go after Whitby
Mike
Mike in Sheffield

If music be the food of love -who finds the time?

Dazbo

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Danger MAD Here!
    • My YouTube Channel for melodeons, morris and folk in general
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2008, 10:52:16 AM »

Steve/Mike - as Sheffield-based box players, have you ever gone to the Eurosession in Walkley?  Is box-playing big there?

Not really, mainly fiddles, percussion, cello, English concertina, occassionally a pa rears it's ugly head and even more occassionally I take one of my organettos for a tarantella or waltz.  Although billed as a Euro session it is mainly French (including Breton) and Swedish.  Can be good fun though as the music is generally played for dancing rather than just sitting and playing.
Ciao Bellow

Darren

BruceHenderson

• Respected Sage
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2008, 02:08:21 PM »

I take my G/C/F box when I go to France, particularly Brittany and note that they rarely play in the growling register of the G row but favour the second position with it's advantageous cross rowing ability similar to Italian Organetto.  G/C boxes also play Am on the press and once again give an advantageous fingering pattern which is actually very easy for Irish tunes. (snip)  Martin

Please explain more about the use of a G/C box to play Am on the "press".  In my mind (old and enfeebled as it is), I see the A note as being pull on the G "tonic button" (or next button on the higher octave) on the G row and also as pull on the G "fifth note" on the C row.  I'm being drawn to G/C or C/F boxes (although I'll probably end up with a G/C/F) and I'm trying to get my head around how they work.
I love one-rows!  Four reeds kick butt!!!!

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2008, 06:13:15 PM »

Sorry for the confussion Bruce.  Am is played on the press across the C/F rows.
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

BruceHenderson

• Respected Sage
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2008, 08:51:20 PM »

Sorry for the confussion Bruce.  Am is played on the press across the C/F rows. 

Oh, yes, that seems pretty straight-forward.  Thanks for that.  BH
I love one-rows!  Four reeds kick butt!!!!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal