Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cajun Melodeon  (Read 13005 times)

Andy in Vermont

• Mélodie
    • Melodeon Minutes (blog)
Re: Cajun Melodeon
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2011, 08:17:34 PM »

Denis Mcgee, set the path for most of what is today thought of as Cajun music.  [...] My great grandfather's fiddle music sounds very Irish to me the way he played it.  The Balfa Brothers had their own stuff, and they were descended from Scots.

All very interesting, thanks for posting this, Bryan.

Well there you go, common roots (with the Quebecois) not in France but in Ireland and Scotland!
Living in Quebec, I was amazed at how many people I met actually had more Irish and Scottish than French blood, yet spoke French fluently and English with difficulty! (Also witness the change of typical Irish names to resemble typical French names, like "Cagney" becoming "Gagne.")

There are also a lot of "authenticity" issue that arise when people are trying to achieve national or ethnic identities.  Some things that are actually fairly recent historically get presented as having ancient roots.  In the case of fiddles and accordions, there is only so far back in history these instruments go, at least in forms that resemble them.  I think that early recordings of music, and early radio, disseminated some traditions, especially Irish and Scottish fiddle traditions as they were played in Eastern Canada.  There were probably many people in the U.S. who had Irish or Scottish descent, yet learned their tunes not from any rooted connection to the culture in Ireland or Scotland, but rather, through contact with the music via recordings.  And obviously people with other cultural backgrounds (German, French) learning Irish tunes.

I find it fascinating that the grandfather of Quebecois style of one-row accordion playing is actually a German American (mistakenly referred to as "Dutch" even by some experts), John Kimmel.  And Montmarquette was a New Yorker whose parent were French, who later went to Canada/Quebec.  Some of the tunes in the repertoire of Quebecois box players stem from the playing of the Corrigan family, Irish immigrants who lived in a town not too far from Quebec city.

One anecdote that I'd like to relate.  As many here know, I actively play Quebecois-style accordion, and in fact learned much of what I play on the accordion while spending time in Quebec.  I love listening to Cajun music but make no claim to being able to play it.  I was called upon to play music for a children's play that had a Cajun theme.  The director/teacher wanted Cajun music, and there were several musicians, only one of whom (a guitarist/singer) had any inkling about Cajun music.  Another guitarist, who had no background in either Cajun or Quebecois music, told me in no uncertain terms, while we were working with a 24 hour deadline, that I should be able to "come up with something" since "Cajun and French Canadian music are pretty much the same thing."  I asked her why she believed that and she said "they are the same culture, you know."
Needless to say, I was a bit flustered.  There was no way that I could do what it would take to make the accordion sound "Cajun" in that amount of time, having never attempted it before!
-Andy

blafleur

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »

I guess my point was that Cajun music was influenced from several directions, I think the beat is African, and everything else is a blend.  The music, like the food and language, changes from area to area, and each area was influenced a little differently, and in some areas doesn't sound "Cajun" at all.  And "sounding Cajun" is a very relative and debatable term.

Some musicologist once told my great grandfather, who had no education and only knew a little English, that Mcgee wasn't French, to which he replied, "mais, cher, of course it's French, every Mcgee I know only speaks French".  He probably died thinking that "Americain" was ignorant.

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2011, 11:05:28 PM »

This is a truly interesting discussion, thank you all for your input, especially Brian.
I was lucky enough to meet Denis McGee (and Canray Fontenot) on a trip to Louisiana in 1988.
Both sadly departed, they were two of the most spirited musicians that I have ever heard.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

blafleur

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2011, 12:00:43 AM »

Almo, check this link out, it is done by Chris Miller, a great musician and an even better teacher.  He teaches in layered style, starting out with the basic bare bones melody, then builds on it.  This is the first part of a 5 part series for one song, the Love Bridge Waltz.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5yRgMUjBpI

Until recently I had no idea Cajun music was even known outside southwest Louisiana, and since have been fascinated at the interest, especially across the pond.

Reese, you met him one year before he died at 97.  He's the only person in my family to live anywhere close to that, and all he did his whole life is play music and chase women.  And they say working is good for you.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 03:53:26 AM by blafleur »

melod-ian

• Respected Sage
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2011, 08:29:50 AM »

Until recently I had no idea Cajun music was even known outside southwest Louisiana, and since have been fascinated at the interest, especially across the pond.

my mums just got back from Louisiana and said exactly the same thing from the people she met there. 

(btw, i've just sent a facebook request to you.. love the Bois Sec Ardoin video)
3 x Acadian's (C,Bb,A),
Hohner corona iiir (GCF)
PS Black Pearl (DG)
and the old hohner erica (DG)

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2011, 09:38:54 AM »

Hey Bryan, stay out of this.  It sounds like you know way too much to pitch in here. 

Spoken like a true internet debater :P
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2011, 10:06:36 AM »

I just stumbled across this guy on YouTube - Chris Miller - lovely tunes and easy to see what he's up to.

http://www.youtube.com/user/cpm6miller#p/u/1/LeYSOPR5tPk

Loads of tunes there..

Almo
ISIS Melodeon, Hohner Erica,  Fender Strat Plus, Takamine, Hofner Violin Bass, Hohner CX12 Harmonica, etc.... Website: https://folk-music.uk

blafleur

« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2011, 02:41:18 PM »

Almo2504, did you see my link above, it has Chris doing a 5 part lesson, but it's not his youtube site.  I also have some videos on youtube that may help or confuse you.  But I'm not near the player as Chris is and never will be. And if you check my favorites, there are quite a few other sites with loads of videos.
http://www.youtube.com/user/blafleur886?gl=CA&hl=en

Hey Bryan, stay out of this.  It sounds like you know way too much to pitch in here.  

Spoken like a true internet debater :P

Yep, that got a chuckle.  But I don't have to know much, just enough to sound like I do. ;)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 02:44:18 PM by blafleur »

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2011, 04:09:44 PM »

Almo2504, did you see my link above, it has Chris doing a 5 part lesson, but it's not his youtube site.  I also have some videos on youtube that may help or confuse you.  But I'm not near the player as Chris is and never will be. And if you check my favorites, there are quite a few other sites with loads of videos.
http://www.youtube.com/user/blafleur886?gl=CA&hl=en

Hi Blafleur - yes I have looked at the links - they do make the techniques clearer - I need to get my hands on a one row four stop to see if I'm able to play in that style.

I must admit that I find the tunes difficult to nail down due to all the ornamentation that is used, but I suppose it's just a matter of getting your ear in..

Thanks for the links

Almo
ISIS Melodeon, Hohner Erica,  Fender Strat Plus, Takamine, Hofner Violin Bass, Hohner CX12 Harmonica, etc.... Website: https://folk-music.uk

blafleur

« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2011, 06:55:02 PM »

Almo, I've heard that from a lot of people new to Cajun music.  Some have told me that listening to the fiddle parts gave them a better handle on the melody until they got used to it.  And some players use less ornamentation.  Some players, especially younger ones, use so much that sometimes it's hard to figure out what they're playing even if you know the song.  A good friend, a very accomplished musician, once told me that the notes you don't play are more important than the notes you do play.  I've come to agree.  The very old players were masters and mixing ornamentation with pauses.  Octa Clark is my favorite for this.

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2011, 03:39:13 PM »

"Chris Miller, a great musician and an even better teacher.  He teaches in layered style, starting out with the basic bare bones melody, then builds on it".
Very impressive teaching style, could be adapted to any style of playing, not just Cajun.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal