Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hohner harmonica history + other German companies  (Read 3035 times)

Christopher K.

• Content Manager
Hohner harmonica history + other German companies
« on: May 04, 2011, 03:32:32 AM »

I found an interesting website while trying to drum up information about the Eisen-manufactured steel reeds... Supposedly, Hohner used some political clout during the war and put Eisen out of business. The site has blurbs about other German makes, it's good reading although I would prefer if he had cited his sources. An email could turn them up easily. Ignore that last part, he's cited the source at the bottom of the page:

"Source: Harmonica Makers of Germany and Austria, History and Trademarks of Hohner and their many competitors, Martin Haeffner and Lars Lindenmueller."

http://www.elkriverharmonicas.com/Hohners.html

Another site, with a dead good review of the Harrison B-Radical harmonica, has patent and other information re: same at the bottom of the page.

http://harmonicasessions.com/?p=138

Good bedtime reading for the free-reed enthusiast.  :|glug
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 03:35:52 AM by Christopher K. »

Andy Simpson

Re: Hohner harmonica history + other German companies
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 05:51:48 PM »

That's a really interesting read, thanks.

So Hohner achieved it's dominant market position by crushing rivals utilising grossly unfair business practices, copying the innovations of others and stifling any new competition, all the while peddaling an inferior product.....they're the Microsoft of the free reed world!. ;D
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 06:29:07 PM by Andy Simpson »

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 07:21:11 PM »

That's a really interesting read, thanks.

So Hohner achieved it's dominant market position by crushing rivals utilising grossly unfair business practices, copying the innovations of others and stifling any new competition, all the while peddaling an inferior product.....they're the Microsoft of the free reed world!. ;D

Except that you actually get to own the accordion and do whatever you like with it including looking at how it works (sorry, I just had to get that in  ;D ).

Anyhow, those were interesting links.

Christopher K.

• Content Manager
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 08:02:34 PM »

Strong arm business practices + interchangeable parts = successful accordion company!

I did not know that family quarrels divided and eventually caused the capitulation of the A.S. Koch company. I wonder if such divisions contributed to that company's expansion into other products - razors, radios, clarinets, steak knives, etc. I was also interested by the story of Hans Eisen making reeds shortly before and during the second world war, in Trossingen no less! Isn't this roughly the time that Hohner reed plates started being marked with an H? I'm trying to determine the extent of Eisen's production and whether or not he forayed into accordion reeds.

Another interesting point: from what it looks like, Hohner engaged in outsourcing some of their products to other factories, including factories that they did not yet control. This explains the different parts and other design discrepancies between models of harmonica and accordion.

I've just put in an ILL request for several books on the subject of German harmonica history (including the work cited) so hopefully our librarian will be able to find another library that is willing to lend their copy. I'm also hoping it comes with a detailed bibliography in the back.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal